Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Munich / Train / Accomodation challenge!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please can anyone help me pull a rabbit out of the hat with a DIY trip that I'm failing to organise?

Over the last 10 years I've successfully organised trips to all sorts of Austrian resorts by Planes/Trains/Automobile with no problems - but this one has me absolutely stumped (and a little worried!).

Here are the parameters:

1. Flights booked to Munich
2. 3 nights accomodation - Friday (1st March), Saturday, Sunday. I know it's a problem "splitting the weeks" over Friday/Saturday but our dates are fixed.
3. Public Transport transfers (really don't want the hassle of a hire car this time)
4. (near to) a full day skiing on Day 3 getting back to Munich for a 9.20pm flight.
5. Staying "in town"

Resorts-wise, plenty have dropped out. The Taxi+5.23pm Train back on the Monday from Kufstein means Soll/Ellmau/Scheffau give us a full day. Going a bit further south, there's a train only option from Hopfgarten at 4.11pm, Westendorf at 4.00pm....but now we're starting to cut into the skiing day.

Accomodation-wise I have drawn an absolute blank. We need 2 rooms. Basically got lists of Pensions up to 3-stars for Soll,Ellmau, Scheffau and Hopfgarten and banged off close to 100 emails. No luck. Tried the tourist offices - their vacancy lists are just the hotels which don't bother updating their availability.

I know we can get out of this by hiring a car and staying out of town - but this would be a last resort.

Does anyone have any bright ideas? Any resorts I've missed? Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
JimiHendrix, Neiderau, The Staffler. Train to Worgl (direct from Munich Ost Bahnhof in 1:05), 15 Euro taxi ride to resort. The Staffler guys have minibuses so will sometimes pick you up and take you back. They generally run guests down to Hopfgarten to get into the SkiWelt or to Auffach to do the SkiJewel. Or you can ski around Niederau. They do any durations, any time.

Train from Worgl leaves at 17:15 which puts you into Munich Airport around 7pm no problem. It means you can easily ski right up to last lift.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Great tip - thanks Bode Swiller. That could be a winner!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Garmisch. I've done Friday to Monday there several times. Never a problem.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
similar neck of the woods with train station... Zell am See, Kitzbuhel
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Did a similar thing last year. We stayed in Innsbruck. No problem getting hotel rooms as winter is the quiet season. Try the Weisses Kreuze with single rooms as cheap as 40 Euros (B&B).
There's about 7 resorts which are a free bus ride away from the city centre (30 to 60 mins) and one within the city itself. Three can be reached by tram - a brilliant and novel way to get to a resort.
We spent the last day at Seefeld and took the last lift up at around 4.30pm. Think we caught a train to Munich around 5.30pm, and easily made the same plane home you're getting (Easy Jet to Gatwick?).
The SkiRail Map helps with the planning. http://rogerlascellesmaps.co.uk/SkiRail_Map_Main.aspx
N Neige
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks all - some great options.....I'll let you know what we end up with.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Mayrhofen? Try Haus Monica for rooms.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have you tried the Bad Hofgastein area? The trouble with Skiwelt, Kitzbuhel etc is the road goes straight to Salzburg but the train goes round in a long and slow circle.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The train goes to Rossenheim, then south to Kufstein (for the Ski Welte) or carry on to Worgl and come back up the valley to Brixen (again for SkiWelte) or carry on to kirchberg /Kitzbuhel. You most certainly wouldnt take the train to either of these resorts from Munich via Salzburg.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This helps with geography:

snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy