Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to buy and what to buy - any recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
You were all so helpful when deciding where to go that I've come back for more!

Does anyone have any advice as to where to buy ski gear?

Also, does anyone have any advice as to what to buy - Jackets, pants, fleeces and base wear.

Please bear in mind that this is the first time my wife and I have been skiing, so we have nothing and we don't want to spend the earth on all the kit - no £200 jackets - just something that is reasonable and good value for money.

Any thoughts?

Look forward to hearing your advice

Simon and Jo
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
kosciosco, Welcome to snowHeads! Very Happy

In 'other places today', I have seen posts referring to cracking bargaing in really good, last years gortex stuff at TK MAX. Check out if you have a store near you, but don't hang about! It goes fast! snowHead
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kosciosco, For clarity!

The actual text of a skiers post was;

"Hello all! May i reccomend you pop down to your local TK max if you have one? I have just come back from one in sheffield and they got their ski stuff in this week. it's normally last seasons stuff, but has brands such as Nike ACG, Trespass, Columbia etc. and massively discounted prices. Just got my brother the Nike ACG communication gortex jacket from last season with built in handsfree radio transmitter thing, that was being sold everywhere for £400 ish for £95 (even in S & R sale was only down to £200) . Worth at least having a look if there is one near by. May not be top name brands, but there occasionally is some decent stuff".

(Reproduced hopefully with the kind permission of the author Toofy Grin )
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
kosciosco, When I started skiing, C & A was the place to buy cheap (but good value) skiwear for first timers. Sadly they no longer exist in the UK, but I believe that the Lidl store group (being German owned) sometimes keeps good value jackets,gloves etc.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you really want to keep costs down, explore local charity shops, especially in posh areas! Got a Goretex suit for £12 last week (yes, it was pink, but you can't have everything). You'll look like old hands. Also our local ski shop, Filarinski, often has ex hire ski clothes very cheaply, and others might do the same.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
kosciosco, Hi. Lidl, Tchibo and I think Aldi, all do really basic kit. Last year they were doing jackets for about £25 to £40and gloves for £10. The only problem is they only do the stuff for one week per year and it sells out very quickly. Tk Maxx is very good but you just have to get lucky and you should try every few days because their stock changes every day. Last year I got a £400 jacket for £60.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kosciosco, I have just bought a £180 Columbia Ski Jacket for £70 from TKMax, they have mountains of ski wear in (in Newcastle anyhow).
Two years ago i got all my kit from TOG 24 good value and still in good nick!
Last year my son bought a whole new kit again from TKMax for under £350.
Happy shopping Little Angel Little Angel Little Angel
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
£350 my god ! I dont call that cheap Mrs Snowbird. I bet your hubby wasnt pleased !!!!! Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Paul Mason, I like a bargain, but I have stopped buying "cheap" ski gear, since it does not keep me warm when I need to be, fails to deal with moisture retention, when I'm too warm, and lets the weather in, when I need it kept out rolling eyes I have had frostbite from wearing "cheap" ski gloves, it is an unpleasant experience, so I never skimp on gloves!!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, good quality kit is important. But it's not essential to have the latest "new season" gear. Hence the bargains. Also some "own brand" items are good - especially good value in the big French sports chains, but also Marks and Spencer are worth a try. Nobody actually NEEDS a Spyder jacket! Tony Blair probably has heaps of flash gear given to him by that well known crook Berlusconi (judging by today's newspapers). Maybe he could spare a few jackets?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Beware ebay - I've seen a lot of TK Maxx stuff selling there for above retail price. And for those who really don't care about their image, TKM have romper suits this year!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
scream, Now STEADY on rolling eyes Shocked
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bernard Condon, Implying, of course, that your style and technique are such that you don't need to worry about the ephemera of superficial presentation...
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Paul Mason, Well for the amount of kit he got i thought it was good, nowt to do with my other half i'm afraid as he paid for it himself Blush
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
scream, All that have witnessed my style & technique & I am sure, those who are yet to witness it, will attest to it's artistic content & creativity. Ephemera may indeed be the operative word.............. Toofy Grin
snow report
Big thank you for all the tips for TK Max.

Have just got back and got some absolute bargains.

Two good quality ski jackets, a pair of ski pants and a pair of gloves, all for only £129 - what a bargain.

Now all I have to do is get some ski pants for myself and some base wear.

Any tips on what base wear to get?

Once again you have all done me proud. what would I do without you all?

Thanks

Simon
snow report
My recommendation to you would be to beg, borrow and steal ... well maybe not steal.

Buy the basics like socks and base layers that people don't really like to loan out.

For jackets, ski-pants and gloves, there is surely somebody you know that is keen on skiing that is not going skiing the same week as you and will give you a loan of stuff. Most skiers that I know are delighted when somebody new starts and the keener the skier, the more jackets, etc that they have.

You will never fall as much in your whole ski career as you do in your first week on the snow. If you are cold and miserable on your first week due to inferior gear, there is less of a chance of going back. People that are into the sport will probably have 3 sets of gear that are better than the cheap stuff that's out there.

Ask around and tell people that it's your first time going and I'm sure you'll be surprised how people will help you out.

Then next year, buy your own good stuff Smile
snow conditions
kosciosco,
Quote:

Any tips on what base wear to get?

Helly Hanson, Lowe Alpine stuff v good (v expensive) Sad - M&S just as good and cheaper. Laughing

Don't forget (however) - good quality Sunglasses and goggles. You do need both ! Also a hat and ski socks (several pairs), with ski socks it's worth paying a little more to get Thorlo, Smartwool or Bridgedale (etc), rather than cheaper 'tube' socks.

I guess you already have fleeces/jumpers ? If you don't it's a good idea to get thinner ones, so you can layer (i.e. get two on under your jacket), rather than 1 thick one.....

What time of year are you going. If it's a first holiday - be prepared for w i d e variations in temperature. You'll possibly get quite hot when skiing/falling/getting up again, and quite cold on the lift - so a hat in your pocket is very useful.

Another very useful thing to have in you pocket is a packet of paper hankies - great for cleaning snow off your sunglasses (not googles tho) - after the falls !
ski holidays
Thanks for that tip.

We are going end of January, so imagine it will be quite cold
latest report
kosciosco, where are you headed?
snow report
Not necessarily. There's no telling how cold it will be. Despite low temperatures - say -10 - if there is no wind, and the sun is shining, it seems quie warm. It can feel cold at any time, or warm at any time. Temperatures last March varied between -15 and +15, within about a week. It is the wind that makes it cold, that and being wet. If it gets cold and wet find a nice warm cosy restaurant and go and have a hot chocolate or a vin chaud, or gluhwein, or whatever. It's not about being miserable.
snow report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
kosciosco, where are you headed?

We are going to Courcheval 1850. Buying all the kit has made me look forward to it even more!

Have our first lesson at the MK snow dome in 3 weeks (trying not to let the criticism in other messages worry me too much)
snow report
kosciosco, we went to MK before our first trip - sort of handy because you get to try on ski boots / skis and you get to slide around a little bit. Things like the state of the snow and the busy-ness of the lift aren't much of an issue on your first visit to MK and if you don't like it then the French Alpes are a completely different experience.

I've not been to Courchevel, but I have been to the other end of the 3 Valleys - at Val Thorens.

You should try webcams and www.snow-forecast.com, does tend to put you into an unbearable state of anticipation for months at a time though snowHead
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy