Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skis for a Lightweight

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Aspen with 1gunsalute and a couple of friends in early March and will be renting skis. All the equipment reviews I've read have been by considerably bigger and heavier skiers, so I don't know where to start. I'm comfortable on blacks and tackling off piste in reasonable snow conditions. My own skis are slalom skis, which I've used off piste and in powder, but I would like to rent something that is more adapted to powder. I'm 162cms (5 ft 4) and weigh less than 45 kg. Any suggestions for skis that will be good in powder and that I'll be able to turn on piste given lack of weight?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What are your own skis? Are you male or female? How many weeks have you skied? If you provide a bit more information it may be easier for people to make recommendations.

According to the current Rossignol size chart, they recommend the following:
Unisex S3 in a 159 cm length for people weighing 40 - 54 kg;
Junior S7 Pro Open in 150 cm for people weighing 40 - 54 kg;
Women's S3 in 159 cm for women weighing 45 - 59 kg;
Sassy 7 in 140 cm for women weighing 36 - 49 kg;
Temptation 82 in 144 cm for women weighing 40 - 49 kg;
Temptation 78 in 142 cm for women weighing 40 - 49 kg.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

What are your own skis? Are you male or female? How many weeks have you skied?

I'm female and my own skis are Volkl Racetiger SL 150cm, which I really enjoy. I've used them in pretty much all conditions but recognize that they're not the best skis in powder or off-piste. I would like to try something that's better for off-piste while I'm in Aspen, but still want to have fun on some nice fast pistes. I've been skiing for 10 years and guess I've done about 22 weeks - they haven't all come in neat week-sized chunks, so it's hard to be sure. Would appreciate advice on skis that might be worth renting. Thank you.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know what you mean about wanting to get recommendations from another lightweight, but you are even more of a lightweight than me, I am more 51kg same height. I dont know how wide your Volkls are, but I love my Fischer Koa 78 (78 wide) in 150, and am happy in ankle deep power in these. If you want something OK for deeper, you really need to start compromising. I tested the Volkl Kenja and Atomic Elysian - both they would fit the bill but arent rockered (unless they changed this year). Kenja at your weight might be a bit of an effort, so I would say if you can, test out the Elysian - really fun, snappy and despite width can be made to carve and do really short radius turns while putting a smile on your face (well it worked for me).
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Try Rossignoll 88, good offpisty carver as skied by comrade on off-piste trip.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Being a lighter than average guy, I pick one size down from whatever the manufacturer's standard size is for any particular model. That often gives a good balance for me in terms of flex, feel and manoeuvrability.

It sounds like you want to rent a 50/50 piste/off-piste ski, i.e. a mid-fat that is stiff under the foot but more flexible at the tip and tail, possibly with some tip/tail rocker. Just explain that to the ski rental shop, emphasise your light weight and they should be able to offer you something suitable. Keep in mind that rockered, early-rise and twin-tip skis feel shorter on piste than their length suggests and they are more manoeuvrable than you might expect.

Here are some skis to look at:

4FRNT Madonna (94 mm waist)
Atomic Elysian (95 mm waist) has rocker this year
Dynastar Exclusive Idyll (78 mm waist) 50% off-piste
Dynastar Exclusive Eden (85 mm waist) 60% off-piste
Line Celebrity 85 or 90 (85 and 90 mm waists)
Movement Gloss (80 mm waist)
Movement Tattoo (95 mm waist)
Nordica Hell's Belles (90 mm waist)
Scott Luna (84 mm waist) 50% off-piste
Scott Layla (92 mm waist) 70% off-piste
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thank you for all the suggestions. I'll do some more internet research on them and will remember to be very clear with the ski hire shop to take weight as well as height into account!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
cat skis, You're a similar size to my daughter and have skied for a similar number of weeks. Bought her a pair of Coreupt Lady Rock (108/89/112) in 163cm so there's no reason you can't go for something similarly sized. She skis 153cm Blizzard piste skis so similar to your Volkls.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy