Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

A week in France in March

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We need some help and advice please.
We have a week 10th March onwards. We will pick up a hire car from Chambery.
We have had an exceptional year, Banff in Dec, Tignes in Jan and Meribel in March.
We are looking for smaller resorts (accommodation is already disappearing fast so it is possible we cannot stay in the resorts, but have to stay in towns). Stay 1 or 2 days then move.
Morzine and the whole PDS we want to avoid, I think.
Chamonix is in already, as is Morrillon.
Can any of you helpful people point us to a favourite? Is Megeve all that? Sainte Foy?
Jack
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jackio, that's still Paris school holidays, which is the main reason there's not much accommodation around. If you are staying in Sallanches you could spend a day up at Combloux/La Giettaz which will probably be less crowded than the likes of Chamonix and the Grand Massif. Depending on snow at the time, of course - everywhere is buried in snow at the moment. snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jackio, forget Chamonix, it will be rammed. It's already getting that way and the French hols only start next week!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ah french holidays, I didn't think. Thanks Pam and Zero-G.
Is Italy/Austria the same then?
I have just looked at Sallanches. Just round the corner from Cluses. Thanks,
Any more tips welcomed
Jack
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Why PDS avoidance?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Morzine put me off 2 years ago. I wanted to write to the Mayor to ask her or him why he let 3 billion people buy lift passes to a resort with a lift capacity of 10,000.
And the skiing wasn't that good that way either. Avoriaz i like, but I ski there with friends who have been there forever and so know it inside out.
Am I being silly? Is there somewhere there I should try?
J
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jackio, I don't think Morzine and surroundings is any busier than lots of other places - but I've only skied there in January. Really, if you've found it crowded before, going to France in one of their busiest weeks of the year doesn't make a lot of sense.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just spent a week in Morzine. Other than the Pleney bubble, barely queued for more than 2 mins - and there was a quick way round using the chairs. Snow is currently awesome, best I've ever known - especially Mont Chery which was so quiet. English and French school holidays will always make mainstream resorts busy.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yeah I never really understand people queing for Pleney, the chair never has many people at it and your gone.

PDS rocks in my opinion, but yes this last Christmas the queue at the bottom of Proclou of people coming up the back way from Morzine via Super Morzine was ridiculous on a couple of days.

I would say the only way to avoid this is stay in Avoriaz itself, if your up early you can get where you want to go before the surge from Morzine hits.

Then you have choices, if the conditions are right drop into Switzerland, I had loads of fun going on a little circuit over to Morgins (the Didier Defago run is great fun, but long boring track at bottom) and coming back via Champoussin this christmas, this used to a pain thanks to loads of drags but there are some new chairs and we only needed 1 drag on the whole circuit.

Plaine Dranse valley is great and you can hit that with in a couple of chairs and a few runs, and poddle about there, Linga down the bottom is fantastic area.

Or you can go over to Le Gets, I know the irony is that you will be passing through Morzine, but its a traffic thing, in the morning every is going past you to Avoriaz, and on the way back they are all trying to get to Morzine so its usually not such a chore doing it that way round.

Just some thougths on PDS, I am biased as we have a place there Smile
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
jackio, Ah, OK, good, so you're not generalising from a single experience then. Phew. I thought I was about to have to release my "rant" head.

rolling eyes rolling eyes
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Nope no generalizations

I have skied 4 seasons in PDS, 3, 1, 2.5, and 1 week respectively so far under my belt, with another 2 coming in march. In addition my wife is on her 9th season there so I have been shown around by someone who knows it like the back of her hand.

G
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hi, gordonrussell76, comment wasn't aimed at you but at OP Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What about Bourg St Maurice? Easy access to Les Arcs via funicular, opening up Paradiski area. With car, reasonable access to La Rosiere/La Thuile, St Foy, Tignes/Val D. You ask about Megeve. Very attractive and smart town. Decent skiing area, mostly intermediate. Access to Chamonix valley by car. Expensive place to stay though. If stuck with a school holiday week I think good lift system vital. Nice problem to have on top of 3 trips already this season! Going green
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy