Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Prescription sunglasses or OTG goggles for flat light

Poster: A snowHead
A few weeks back I really struggled in skiing off Piste in flat light with my Oakley OTG goggles, I wear them over prescription glasses, but because you need some airflow or speed to get the goggles/glasses to clear, I was completely blind and unable to get any definition of where I was skiing.

I can't wear contacts, and my glasses are photo-chromic which are great in sunny conditions.

I am thinking of getting yellow lens prescription sunglasses for flat light, dumping the goggles, and swapping photo-chromics for sunnies depending on the prevailing conditions.

I note that the prescription sunglasses manufacturers (Bolle, Oakley) are not too specific about lens colour, but I assume that yellow is optimum.

Does any Snowhead have a similar experience, and what is the best solution?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

Does any Snowhead have a similar experience, and what is the best solution?

yes, and I don't think there is one. Yellow lenses help a little but sometimes you just can't get any definition and that seems to be the end of it.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DavidYacht, I just alternate between prescription sunglasses and goggles over glasses or contact lenses. But then at my standard of skiing ability, it doesn't cause me too much of a problem as I'm not likely to be tackling anything too horrendous
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
DavidYacht, if you were skiing in proper flat light (which I can't abide) you might find this:

Quote:

I was completely blind and unable to get any definition of where I was skiing.

Was unavoidable and down to the conditions rather than the goggles.

I use a combination of prescription sunnies and contacts with goggles for days that the sunnies won't cut the mustard. When you say you can't wear contacts, it might be worth qualifying 'can't wear' with your optician. I am not allowed to wear them full time, but my optician has no problems with part-time use during a skiing holiday providing I take them out for a few hours in the evening.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the heads up, I have a stigmatism, which in the old days consigned me to hard lenses, I have tried soft lenses more recently and found that I can live with the specs, for almost everything including very competitive dinghy sailing. The only area I have a problem with is when I need the definition in flat light, and then find the lenses will not clear. I love skiing, but when this happened a few weeks ago, I wish that I had not been on the mountain.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
DavidYacht, if it's just a case of fogging, then you might find prescription inserts for the goggles better - I never had problems with fogging, with them. But there were still times when there was absolutely no definition, even with yellow lenses - it's not nice, even on piste. Sunglasses would be worse, I'd imagine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've found that sometimes a film of water on the lenses is preferable to constant fogging, enough to get out of trouble and into the warm to dry out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lots of solutions here:

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=site%3Asnowheads.com+goggles+prescription
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
and getting back on topic. I find that my normal prescription glasses on their own are best in flat light.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
DavidYacht, If you can wear the contacts you might find a box of 30 an acceptable compromise for skiing. I have astigmatism and you can buy toric soft disposable lenses that will deal with a certain amount of it. They are what I use for skiing - It might be worth looking into as advances are made all the time.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DavidYacht, I take two pairs of OTG goggles. A pair of Uvex yellow lensed flat light goggles, and much darker lensed Bolle goggles for when it is sunny. I will swap and change the goggles depending on the conditions. I also carry a spare pair of glasses, and I have loads of tissues in a thigh pocket just in case of a crash and snow getting inside the goggles (or very humid conditions.)

I find it is essential that the goggles are not too tight. If is not damp then I will put them on the helmet whilst in the gondola or on the chairlift. I was always suffering before I started wearing a helmet - I find this crucial.

If it is snowing and I am on a chairlift then I hold them off my face. I find that I cannot stop for too long on extremely humid days. If I have to wait around for too long on very humid days then my glasses will steam up - until I am moving again. Sometimes you can see more without the goggles, so I just pop the goggles up.

If it is flat light (above the tree line) then I find that closely following the mountain guide and matching him turn for turn to be the best option.

I really do not find wearing glasses and OTG goggles to be lots of hassle. I cannot ski in just sunglasses (and a helmet), my eyes water up completely - it also looks really dodgy (Helmet and sunglasses) and should not be allowed!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
DavidYacht, having had problems myself with various goggles, I now have a pair of Scott OTG's which are fantastic they have photochromic lenses, and are wonderful, especially in flat light, which I used to struggle with, bought then in 2011, the model which is similar is now called the Storm. The other great thing is that they aren't extra large standard OTG's , and you avoid the sunglasses helmet issue!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
http://www.ski-n-see.com/index.html try these i bought a pair 7 years ago never ever fogged up
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
DavidYacht, I use Oakley with gold iridium prescription lenses. They are as good as I have ever used in flat light - but the real answer lies in how relaxed you are and how much you feel the terrain because nothing really unflattens flat light.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
+1 for Megamum, if you can contacts are the way to go.
latest report
+1 for Oakleys with prescription lenses, polarised black iridium for sunny days and swap then lenses on flat light days. I just bought some polarised persimmon ones for flat light and I am very impressed with them. Also the iridium would be great for sailing!
snow conditions
About to invest in a pair of prescription polarised photochromic ski sunglasses, the production time is 3 months so will be able to give thoughts on this new brand for next season.
snow conditions
I too have astigmatism, and used to hate and struggle in flat light. Wearing topic contacts was one of the biggest changes in my life for sports (both skiing and sailing) allowing me to wear sunglasses with the most appropriate lenses for the conditions. However until about a year ago, I still struggled in flat light conditions to see adequate definition of the changes in the snow.
Now I feel that I can cope with these conditions much better, and I was enjoying the skiing in Tignes last week despite flat light and falling snow.

The change, as Bode Swiller, said, was to learn to relax and feel the snow, and not rely on vision to cope with the changes. We have been on a couple of courses with Snoworks and the changes to my technique transformed how and what I could ski.

Having been a vision obsessive, I would say that one of the bet things you can do is improve your technique and discover how being more relaxed and feeling what is underfoot rather than relying mainly on vision. That made the biggest change to my skiing.
ski holidays
vipul, I've never seen those before, but those are the sort of goggles that I've always imagined could be made. Now all they need to add is a toric option and make them 'look' a bit more 'fashionable' and I think they would be onto a winner!!
snow report
DavidYacht, I have had this exact issue too - I have slightly short sight, so in misty conditions I potentially have foggy eyeballs, misted specs and damp goggles - plus mist outside!! There are times I have been skiing backwards and not known. I also can't wear contacts (large eyes; I apparently don't blink fully so my eyes are as dry as dust) but my solution has been to buy a pair of ESS V12 Advancer goggles with prescription inserts. They are designed for the military so are quite tough and practical. Also, are very cost-effective. The down side is, they are smaller than conventional ski goggles - and can give you real panda eyes in the sunshine.... On ebay, these cost me £20 altogether.
ski holidays
vipul, Those prescription goggles only go up to 4.5 dioptres, not much use if like me you need almost 10 dioptres Shocked correction!
snow conditions
Alastair Pink, if the frame isn't too curved a helpful optician should be able to glaze them for you. 10 dioptres ha amateur Very Happy
ski holidays
DavidYacht, ...I am very shortsighted. I climb and ski a lot. I use a whole load of OTG goggles. I don't mess with insert or glazed goggles - never had any fogging problems. For flat light the Scott Amplifier lens is excellent -

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-SCOTT-Ski-Snow-ICON-OTG-over-the-glasses-Goggles-White-Light-Amp-224171-/370769028429?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_GogglesSunglasses_JN&hash=item56538e654d

or

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/2013-SCOTT-Ski-Snow-UNLIMITED-OTG-over-glasses-Goggles-Black-Amplifer-224170-/370770857772?pt=UK_SportsLeisure_Skiing_GogglesSunglasses_JN&hash=item5653aa4f2c

The second has a higher volume interior which is good for wide prescription frames.

Smith also excellent - although can't find a current OTG with their excellent orange tint.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Smith-2013-Option-OTG-Goggle-Adult-Static-Black-Silver-/251218403906?pt=UK_Helmets_Headwear_Visor_Inserts_Tear_Offs&hash=item3a7dc8a242

Cat4 OTG's dark for sunny days almost impossible to find - so it's just prescription sunglasses (some 1950s wayfarer's look cool) on those days.
snow report
OK, let's see if anyone's has a solution for this one. I've got a problem overheating and the resulting fogged up glasses/inserts inside my ski goggles. I'm riding with OTG Smith Knowledge goggles with Turbo fan, and I have prescription inserts. I ski pretty hard and by the time I get down to the chair after my first run my head is hot and my inserts start fogging up. I ski at Snowbird whenever I'm not working. Before you recommend anything I've already tried: Fog sprays and wipes, and contacts (don't work on me). I wear a fleece cap, fleece neck gator and don't like wearing helmets (too clunky). I think I'm just getting too hot and the moisture has no where to go. I'm tired of holding my goggles away from my face until I get moving again and putting my goggles on my forehead seems to only get them even foggier. When I do that the inserts (used to do it to my glasses) ice up. After 4-5 runs I'm so frustrated I take out the inserts and ski without them hoping the next small dark spot in the powder before me is just a tree tip and not a fixed rock. ANY SUGGESTIONS?
latest report
drelder, You generate a lot of heat when you ski (like me - I'm normally steaming when I stop) so your most important thing when looking for is ventilation. The thing that really worked for me and stopped pretty much all of my steaming-up issues, and there were MANY, was when I switched helmets from Protec to POC (ok know you don't do helmets but the principals are the same). POC lids have excellent ventilation.

Try skiing bare-headed and lose the neck gaiter for a few runs and see if the problem eases, try opening pit/pants vents.
BTW try to avoid putting your goggs up on your forehead as its wet and sweaty and that dampness just makes the problem worse.
snow conditions
Quote:

fleece neck gator

I'd lose the neck gaiter immediately and consider dropping the hat. In my case losing the gaiter dealt with the bulk of the problem. Otherwise, don't allow the insert to get wet. I can get away with putting the goggles on the helmet provided it is dry but hat or forehead will not work.
snow report
I don't know where you're skiing... but its usually 20 degrees and windy. I'd get frostbite if I didn't wear a hat.
ski holidays
drelder, -6 and you get frostbite? You need to eat more Readybrek!
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Readybrek? 20 degrees Fahrenheit.
ski holidays
20 degrees f is -6 Celcius.
Readybrek - popular UK porridge-like breakfast cereal advertised as "Central heating for kids"

Forgot my manners, Welcome to Snowheads!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy