Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Resorts under 8Hrs from Calais - Easter Bank Holiday?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello all,

Could I have your suggestions for resorts within 8 hours drive from Calais? A group of friends and I will be making the journey down on the Thursday evening, driving through the night for skiing on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday, and returning Monday.

We are intermediates, and have just returned from Tignes, so would like somewhere that has a decent amount of piste, and a which will also have a dose of powder!

Many Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
capability, welcome to Snowheads. Nowhere is guaranteed to have a "dose of powder" that weekend - not even Tignes.

There is La Bresse Hohneck - never been there, but my season lift pass gives me a free day there and I've often wondered about it. Closes 1 April though. And probably wouldn't have what you would call "a decent amount of piste".

Realistically, there is nowhere within 8 hours drive of Calais where you are likely to find good conditions on the Easter weekend. You might need to go a bit further - Flaine, maybe, which would be just over 8 hours if you didn't have to stop. But you will have to stop - 9 - 10 hours is more realistic, and will take a bit longer if the road is wet (speed limit under 69 mph) or snowy or foggy. Perfectly doable with a few drivers, though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks.

I think we can get to Morzine, driving through the night with little traffic and changing drivers, in under 8 hours. So any recommendations in that region, possibly not Chamonix, or is there anywhere even closer?

Thanks!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I think we can get to Morzine, driving through the night with little traffic and changing drivers, in under 8 hours

not legally you can't, that's an average of 124 km/hour. You will have to stop to change drivers, pee and re-fuel. 9 - 10 hours, depending on the state of the road, is more realistic not to mention more legal. Flaine is a bit closer than Morzine, which is why I suggested it.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I think (and google maps agrees with me) that it's actually faster to Morzine than Flaine (by a whole 5 minutes).

Chamonix 5 minutes faster still.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saas Fee - really high. Will take you 9 hours though according to Google maps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Change drivers, sleep in the car and do a few extra hours for a decent resort of your choice.

Remember to always stick to the speed limit as the regulars on here seem to love a rule wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
capability, I would recommend Flaine too but not sure how much short break accommodation you would find there. Maybe Chamonix would be better for this?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

the regulars on here seem to love a rule

which a good number of us have paid heavily for breaking. wink

9 hours plus stops to Saas Fee. You shouldn't need to go "really high" for Easter, which is early this year.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any of Chamonix, PDS or Grand Massif will be massively better than Saas Fee in terms of fun, variety and size of terrain and apres.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Calais to Meribel is possible in less than 8 hours though I couldn't possibly say how I know.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Paradiski is doable in just over 8 hours if you have a car with a big fuel tank and efficient engine Very Happy
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What's the big deal between 8 hours or 10 to get somewhere more suitable?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx, I was just about to say that Laughing
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
With several drivers an overnight trip to any of the resorts is really not any kind of problem on a clear night. I've done it on my own, several times. But you do need to be aware of the risk that bad weather will slow you down, and not be an idiot.
snow conditions
under a new name, Try the Black Bull at Saas Fee!
ski holidays
As far as I know the all time Calais-Morzine record is 6 hours 15, by Phil-the-Chef's mate in an RS6 Shocked . I've managed just under 7 on a Yamaha FJ1100, but at that speed you have to re-fuel too often to go any faster. In the summer, overnight/early hours, pre speed cameras, and in hindsight with a good deal of luck! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
under a new name, I tend to find Google Maps pretty conservative with it's time estimates so can get places a fair amount quicker than it says without breaking (too many) speed limits.
ski holidays
Bridlington?

pam w, I never knew that resort was there. That's very interesting. That's a stiffish after work journey from London of a Thursday night. Sleep, get up, ski a day then leg it to Moutier/BStM/Les Arcs after a 3.30 p.m. departure arriving just in time for a meal and some further sleep prior to the start of serious holidaying. Liking it.

shep, I am willing to bet the record is for some French geezer with his family, dog and the kitchen sink in a Renault Espace. In the past I've been gamely plodding along at 110 m.p.h whilst a series of these nutters have piled past me at a considerable improvement on my speed. I was once keeping pace with a Veyron - OK, he was cruising, I was straining - when an Espace barrelled past us both. Put me off ever buying a second-hand Espace. Conme to think of it, I haven't seen one for a while - that might expalin why.....

Flaine is way nearer than Chamonix, you have to drive past Flaine to get to Cham. from Geneva. Mind you, so are half a dozen other resorts like all the ones linked to the Grand Massiff list system other than Flaine and Megeve and Les Houches, to name but a few in France alone.
snow report
Quote:

I never knew that resort was there. That's very interesting.

be sure to report on it if you go - I do have this free day's pass there!
snow conditions
Le Mont Dore?
Le Lioran?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy