Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Cheeky 3 days in Chamonix

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Day 1

Bluebird day in Chamonix valley. Unfortunately a few days too late to expect fresh tracks on lift served runs so decided on a short tour.
Started with the first ‘bin’ up from La Flegere and short skin up to Col Des Crochues.

Crossed to other side of valon de balme leaving the heaving masses behind.

Skins back on and up to breche superieur de berard.
Fantastic views to grand massif and mt blanc

Top of the world

Breche superieur de berard

First pitch on valon de berard (and of the season for me; late start)

Whoaah...how do you turn right again…?

Its all coming back to me now.

Fantastic pow.

We started from the tiny notch to the right side of the ridge, ending the run in valocrine.

Day 2

Indecision time ? Aguille du Midi ? Toula
In the cue for the cable car ran into Tof’s mates who reported grand envers and envers du plan as trashed following a powder frenzy 4 days ago. Too late for italy.

Arete as expected at 11 in the morning jam packed, so crampons on to overtake the masses.

Decided on south side of rognion glacier.
Mellow angle pitches with crust, but away from everyone else. The new acl not entirely happy in this sort of snow.

Crossed to glacier de la vierge and found some steeper pitches and chalky snow.

Love this pick with the 'sluff', vb ice fall and aguille du midi top station in the background…plenty to smile about.

Grand envers and envers du plan as reported

Skied to the bottom of the glacier, bootpacked up to the james bond track and skied down to town. Was tempted by another lap but late start, new boots, day two legs so decided to call it a day at lunchtime.

Day 3
Avalanche course, a bit of skiing and no picks.
Nice little warm up for the season.
[img][/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice. Brave man testing the new acl in the ever-adorable breakable crust!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Looks like you had a great few days - congratulations, and thanks for the TR.

I'll be there next week Smile
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
PP, nice few days, you using a brace?

My op was Sept (hamstring graft) 2011, was back skiing March 2012 doing La Grave etc , knee was fine in powder on the glacier but soon as we hit the spring concrete was hard work as my confidence went and knee hurt. Was using a Donjoy Armor brace.

Have done two trips so far this season, and still using the brace, stupid amounts of snow last week in the Pyrenees, I do have some other issues with my knee (old age cartilage etc) so brace is there to give me confidence. In spring I'll carry it on my pack when touring, but last week was only small 2 hr hikes and with snow puking down did not want to have the added hassle when going into downhill mode of putting the damn brace on!

Can feel the knee big time this morning after last week, and as the weather's foul will not bother going out on the bike!

Still my worry is about hitting spring sludge which is always going to happen when touring for spring snow !
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PP, niiice, thanks for posting! Were you with a guide?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
zammo, yes the 'funny' thing is that i was not too keen on Toula as it is a massive south facing glacier that i have never skied without there being crust at some point. This at least was comparatively short section.

Weathercam, i had mine done in November 2011, also hamstring graft and so decided to not to ski last season. I do recall 'lurking' on your 'acl thread' from last year. I have had no problems in powder/hard snow/piste type snow but the crust unnerved me a bit. I also had no problems skinning/boot packing but this tour was only circa 600m up. I haven't used a brace and although during skiing never felt any knee pain, every evening it was aching. Are you going to tour on dynafits again?

Zero-G, yes this was a last minute trip and could not find any mates. I posted on snowheads to see if anyone was about but as i had no joy I called a few guides i have skied with previously and got lucky that one of them just got back form s america and had no bookings.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
btw anyone around for a ski between 3 and13 March. I will be in the area for a family holiday and looking for partners to buddy up with for some sensible and responsible off piste fun. Will have a car so can drive to nearby areas.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
PP, ask on the Cham thread. Looks like a mini sHs meet up is brewing http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=90912&start=240
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lovely stuff
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy