Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Who's on the road Friday 15th/Sat 16th Feb?

Poster: A snowHead
I tried a dummy booking earlier ( I know, I know - walked right into the inevitable comments) and there was no availability between 18.00 and 20.00 tomorrow night. We're booked at 19.20. Suggests it will be chocabloc.

We'll aim to be there 60 mins early and just accept we will have to queue.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So far so good. Straight through and been popped on 7.36 departure Cool
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

there was no availability between 18.00 and 20.00 tomorrow night

if you were to turn up between those times with an expensive "flexi" ticket, would you get on the next train? Do they stop taking new bookings when there are still some spaces, to allow for that, or just rely on a few non-shows and a few getting on earlier trains?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
pam w, I've often wondered that Confused
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Everything flowing nicely through the tunnel spoke to the man selling breakfast rolls and he reckons this pm and tomorrow will be busy. Got to love the tunnel though, so slick and it takes a lot to mess up the system. Roads clear in France FE10 white Tiguan, skis on top, toot if you see us !!!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Frosty, yes ET was great earlier but have had some silly delays with v poor comms - notably a Sunday evening Jan 12 (in which DJL was also stuck). No delays on roads as yet. We had an early stop as both drivers tired at same time, most unproductive Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

We had an early stop as both drivers tired at same time, most unproductive

I think that's why you need to stay flexible; I find it difficult - impossible - to predict when I'm happy to do the whole drive, or feel sufficiently tired that it seems foolish to go on.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
marmotte16, it would be so useful if I could pop online every now and then and check for a live update on all our guests' ETA like this Laughing (though we are all ready for you anyway)
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
miranda, Laughing Is there fresh snow on the red carpet?? wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
There is indeed Cool
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
For those heading up to the Haute Tarentaise there are still a few flocons in the air but it is getting brighter and the roads into Tignes (2100m) are black and wet (1300 hrs French Time)
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Just had a report from my lot that they are approaching Dijon - roads wet (so 68.35 mph wink )
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has anyone been fined for breaking the 110 kph in the rain ? We came back from the alps end of January with heavy rain all the way but weren't in a hurry so were doing sub 120kph most of the way. We caught some flashed headlights in the run up to the Calais tolls and dropped to below the 110kph in time for the mobile speed cam but there didnt seem to be anyone pulled over at the tolls even though we were passed by a fair number of british cars.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
chocksaway wrote:
Best of luck to you all! The forecast is for 35 000 cars between Albertville and Moutiers on Saturday. Shocked Shocked

Where di you find this ? Are there forecasts for any other areas ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
It's cool but sunny.. I'm having lunch and then Im' heading out for a leisurely cross-country ride to the training course in Wales. It looks like it'll be fun Smile
ski holidays
Just retried my dummy booking to see how busy it is (hey, it's quiet in the office!) and there is no availability shown between 18.00 and 21.06. Looks like it will be busy.

Strange thing is that either side of those time some crossings that were available earlier are now full and others that were full have availability (I can't see how much - maybe only a single slot and all at full price of £147 each way).

I reckon they must have some sort of dynamic system that copes with people arriving at check-in early and getting earlier crossings. Or maybe people keep changing their times. Or maybe its to do with Flexiplus.

Anyway only a couple of hours before I'm on the road. Snow looks very good!
snow conditions
chocksaway wrote:
Best of luck to you all! The forecast is for 35 000 cars between Albertville and Moutiers on Saturday. Shocked Shocked

I'm hoping to be down there V early morning.

What are the A11, M25 and M20 like though? Smile
ski holidays
Hope 35,000 cars haven't got to put on chains! At least it isn't Paris half term. Snowforcast says blue skies and sun for 6 days, after a week or so of snow, sounds like it will be worth queuing up the valley, anyway got a 14 hour talking book! 6.50am tomorrow on Eurotunnel, silver gold X3. Wish my daughter wasn't a teacher ... well at least she has a job!
latest report
dsoutar, http://www.savoie-route.com/preparer_depart_retour_station-prevision_trafic-3.html, no idea for other areas - sorry.

Edit: That link seems to have stopped working - here's the home page:

http://www.savoie-route.com/

GaryCantley, Good Plan

DavidYacht, If the forecast come true then no. However it was supposed to be sunny in Tignes by now - still light snow and the main road is showing signs of slush. The minor resort roads would still require chains so if you arrive early it may be better to go to the carpark immediately and lug your kit round the village. You will have a great week - with blue skies hopefully the full resort will be open to disperse the folks.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 15-02-13 21:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Just arrived at ET. Booked for 19.20 allocated 18.44 and directed into 18.34 queue. Result!

We didn't go near the terminal but it is amazingly quiet in the loading lanes
ski holidays
Just hitting M25 from M40. Traffic flowing nicely, any reports fromnearer tunnel?
snow report
the eurotunnel website says
Quote:
Our passenger service is currently operating with up to 4 departures per hour. There is currently no waiting time on the terminal, however due to high volume of traffic, there is a waiting time of approximately 60 minutes before check-in.
We sincerely apologise for the inconvenience this will cause to your journey.

I'm not sure what "no waiting time on the terminal" means.

Don't seem to be any reports of delays on the road.
ski holidays
pam w, thanks, not booked till 12.20 so feeling fairly confident Toofy Grin
snow report
On the 12:20 Eurotunnel tomorrow lunch time. Staying overnight in Lyon and hoping to get up to the 3V early in the Sunday morning - hopefully not too much traffic at that time. Heading back the following Saturday though so expecting a miserable time then.
latest report
We are now in Munich, where we are staying the night.
We arrived on the25 mins later than the planned arrival. After 600 miles from the tunnel,planned that's not bad.
On the way to Flachau early Saturday .
snow report
Hope everyone gets to their destinations safe and sound, without too many holdups. I am going to bed shortly and when I wake to turn over, will think of you all, hammering through the night.
snow report
Plain sailing all the way, no hold ups at terminal and onto a 22.50 train, result snowHead
snow conditions
Clear sunny morning in the alps Very Happy Very Happy

Have a safe journey, hopefully without too many delays.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bit misty in Troyes this morning.

Lights on and pay attention guys!
snow report
A5 has misty patches but not super busy. A31 getting busier with the influx of Dutch

Breakfast stop off the motorway en route to Besancon.

All in all pretty smooth so far. Haven't spotted any snowHead
snow conditions
We are heading back after our early half term. It's been bouchon after bouchon on the other side and a lot of fog about. Worth it when you get there though, snow's great snowHead
latest report
Colleagues reporting the half hour drive up to Morzine this morning took at least an hour, that's setting off early too say 8am.
snow report
Traffic building between Lyon and Chambery, and beyond, at 9 this morning.
snow report
Some congestion around Pontarlier (partially avoided via Centre Ville) and 0.5mile/15min queue for the Swiss border at Valorbe to buy a vignette. Now in Lausanne and a beautiful sunny day. Hope the bit round Lake Geneva and over the pass is not oo bad. ETA Chatel is 15.00 which is not too bad.
snow report
DJL, Hope you got through ok, we had some congestion at Pontarlier and around the lake to Monthey last week, the Belgians were to blame Mad
Had a good run back so far, been going 11 hours now with three to go still, we were slowed a bit with fog this morning (and a few Belgians returning too) but not bad. Got to tunnel early, straight through, striaght on o an earlier train too. should make it home in decent time for a curry though Laughing
latest report
sarah, I spoke too soon! Bit of congestion round the lake (Vevey to Montreux where the Dutch / Alsaciens joined) and a petrol stop in Monthey made it a 15.30 arrival. Lots of Belgians heading the other way. Not too bad for our last half term trip.

Passes, ski hire, lessons and shopping all sorted. 18th Birthday dinner done for our youngest. Thermometer showing -2C outside so all looking good for the coming week.

Further updates on the PDS weather and "other" threads.

7 days 'til we all do it in reverse.
snow report
Curry on the table Laughing Chatel to Manchester 14 hours phew!
ski holidays
My poor daughter was on a coach yesterday with school trying to get into st Johan, Tirol. 8 hours congestion trying to get in to the resort. They should have been in the hotel Saturday 1pm but finally got there at 8:30 last night.
ski holidays
No traffic on drive on friday to Lyon.

Left the hotel at 10 yesterday and was in La Tania by 1 , there was a bit of traffic building so would have been worse later !

Used the sanef peage pass, very good just a shame that it wasn't that busy at the tolls to really appreciate the benefit,mind you it was funny seeing the French behind me diving into other lanes because they thought silly English !!!, or maybe that was just m wishful thinking.

850 10 minutes until the lifts open!, full English done and a bluebird awaits .....nice....
ski holidays
Oh a thread on the awful drive down.... traffic in the north meant we were late. Stopped near Charmin for fuel and got stuck for 60 minutes Q for fuel and we couldn't escape. Missed the 60 minute delay at the junction with the A5 though.

Overall that took maybe three hours extra.

Just have the queue for rental skis for kids to bear now.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy