Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gendarmerie haranguing Brit transfer companies?

Poster: A snowHead
There's anecdotal evidence that Lithuanians are now operating (unlicensed) transfer companies according to a source. I wonder how the British companies will react to this new competition Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's a little of the Austrian culture in the Swiss.
snow conditions
 cran
cran
Checking that vehicles are licenced, insured, within legal weight limits (8 large blokes with a lot of baggage will overload a 9 seater minibus) and that the drivers are qualified, have EU pro driver medical certificate etc. is not a bad thing.

How this is checked might be a problem if it is just to please the taxi drivers who aren't losing any work anyway and would rather make 50€ taking people fron the airport to a Geneva hotel 2 mins away than have to drive to a ski resort in France...

Personally I've not had any problems at the border or the airport.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
D G Orf, so your response to Cham Express' two stories is that "the French" are prejudiced cheats but "the Swiss" are just "a little strange"...

Chamexpress wrote:
They also had the cheek to inform us all that anyone arriving in Geneva Airport without an onward transfer ticket would be 'FORCED' to take a taxi or the public bus'!

Good job Geneva airport didn't do that this year... there'd have been no Simon W thread otherwise

wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
marksavoie, There seems to be about 6 of these vans operating............

I have been stopped twice and breathalysed with no problem......one of our drivers was stopped yesterday and all his paperwork checked

There does seem to be a major hit on transfer companies and as most are British owned !!!!..........I hope it sorts out the illegal operators and levels the playing field as we jump through hoops to keep both the French and Swiss authorities happy

The loading issue that Chamexpress mentions seems absolutely crazy ....if the clients want to sit in the back not the front I can see no safety issue........most people sit in the back of a taxi.....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
miranda, I think it unfair to lump all the Swiss together, from the other threads posts it's clear that it is in fact the Geneva officials who are predjudiced against any non local, the fact that another Swiss taxi driver has taken them to Swiss courts and won clearly shows that it is the local officials who are in the wrong, how one sorts that however I'm not sure, in the French case it appears that the French Taxi drivers have persuaded the French Police to specifically target British owned transfer companies, not because those companies have necessarily broken the law but rather because they are potentially taking money from the French Taxi drivers pockets, this seems more serious as in the Swiss Case there seems to be apathy about sorting out the local situation whilst in the French case the police are actively supporting the locals, obviously as far as the transfer companies are concerned there's probably little difference in how it effects them, both are inconvenient
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
D G Orf, sorry, but that is ridiculous.

Cham Express has said he had the tyres slashed on 10 of his vehicles by Swiss TAXI DRIVERS, not Geneva officials. If I was a legit transfer business, I'd rather have my credentials checked by the police than have my tyres slashed.

From your posts it is clear that you have a strong dislike of "the French" (and are quite happy to talk in general terms about an entire nation), and a love of "the Swiss" (even if some of them are a little strange, but it's not fair to lump them all together).
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

I think it unfair to lump all the Swiss together

or indeed to lump any other nationality together.....?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
miranda, I have no particular like or dislike of the French people, I do have a dislike of the way they manage to manipulate the EU to suit themselves but I've generally found the people themselves to be very helpful to a humble tourist, this may well be very different to how they treat outsiders coming in to their area and setting up rival businesses, .

I will admit to being very surprised by the tyre slashing in Geneva, almost every Swiss person I've ever met seems to be incredibly law abiding so the tyre slashing and lack of police response at Geneva airport seems very out of the ordinary to the way I'm used to Swiss behaving, however this could be because the majority of the time I've been in German speaking parts of Switzerland, as I'm sure you are aware Switzerland is a Confederation of states many of which have their own particular ways of doing things, I can only assume that in Geneva their attitudes are pretty damn different to say Bern.

It seems to me that there is obviously a problem in the Geneva area, I have no doubt that some of this problem is caused by the Swiss, some by the French and some no doubt by British owned transfer companies operating illegally, Cham Express has said that he is well aware of others who are not obeying rules and regulations which I'm sure makes the Situation worse.

I have to say the descriptions read somewhat like an early American border town in the Wild West with the law either taking no interest or worse trying to help locals force out competition, the locals carrying out attacks with impunity and officials enforcing illegal laws to generate revenue
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I find it reassuring that the paperwork is being checked and I am sure that any reputable operator would feel the same way. The postings on here would certainly encourage me to use the likes ofredrunmarcus for my transfer.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
D G Orf wrote:
I've generally found the people themselves to be very helpful to a humble tourist, this may well be very different to how they treat outsiders coming in to their area and setting up rival businesses

We have been welcomed with open arms, but then we have reciprocated by using local suppliers as much as possible. We also recommend a number of British-run shared and private transfer companies to our guests (as well as French companies), all of which are legit companies.

I did not move to France because I couldn't stand the UK - I love the UK, actually, and really enjoy spending time there in between seasons. I'm sure many of the British people working in France don't do so because they "can't stand their own country", but because France offers them a different opportunity; I guess it will be a similar story for the many French working in London.

D G Orf wrote:
It seems to me that there is obviously a problem in the Geneva area, I have no doubt that some of this problem is caused by the Swiss, some by the French and some no doubt by British owned transfer companies operating illegally

That's probably right.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Love the quote above "I always find the Swiss a little strange" understatement of the highest order.......

The Swiss are more than a little strange, as a nation they are out right weird.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'd be interested to find out if/how Alpybus are effected with them being a british run Swiss registered company!?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Chamexpress wrote:
Obviously, it's pretty clear that the French economy is going down the toilet, and they need to raise money by fines, any way they can. ...

Yeah. that's the latest government initiative to get finances back in order: increase money raised by fines... rolling eyes
What a ludicrous thing to say...

French taxi drivers have always been bullies when it comes to protecting their business. In my home town of Toulouse, they managed to scupper/delay plans to extend the underground line to the airport, because obviously that'd take income away.. They're always well connected and a powerful lobby.

That said. just because their latest target are transfer companies, doesn't mean it's against the Brits specifically. People should stop feeling paranoid and try and understand the market a bit more. Most French tourists (which still represent most of the French resorts income) drive or take the train... Until british TOs started taking significant amount of tourist via airports, the transfer market wasn't really big. And so now a large proportion of transfer companies happen to be british owned, and the taxi drivers try and "keep" a share of a market that really they never had since said market didn't use to exist. It's economic dirty play, not "let's get the brits"...

D G Orf wrote:
I wonder how the French would react if our police officers started hassling them for taking jobs from British workers ?

Ask the Poles how they feel for example. It might not be the Police per se but it's a good portion of the British population. I think it's a pretty good indication of how (not) welcome any group supposedly taking jobs/market from British people would be.
A bit of introspection is always a good thing

I am French leaving in the UK, and I get maybe a more objective view on things than most. It's sad how people have recently reverted to their good old prejudices. Nothing like a bit of economic hard times to get people worked up. And I mean on both sides of the channel.

Sadly for me, Snowheads has really turned on the French bashing lately and even some of the regulars have fallen for this and forgot to look at themselves a bit...
As many have said, there are other destinations..Use them.. I have yet to read a report about somone forced to ski in France at gunpoint. Maybe you'll get the change of attitude you wish from all those arrogant French people... .

I haven't really reacted to it so far but I guess I am feeling a bit less blazé today..

And back to the OP: French taxi drivers behaves as bullies..it's not news... and by many accounts it's not specific to their French nationality.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kruisler,
Quote:

French taxi drivers behaves as bullies..it's not news... and by many accounts it's not specific to their French nationality.

Would have to agree, entirely possible that some or indeed many of the taxi drivers are not French, it does strike me as a poor situation however when as reported by Cham Express French police are apparently specifically targeting British owned transfer companies apparently at the request of the taxi drivers though.
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:
Chamexpress wrote:
Obviously, it's pretty clear that the French economy is going down the toilet, and they need to raise money by fines, any way they can. ...

Yeah. that's the latest government initiative to get finances back in order: increase money raised by fines... rolling eyes
What a ludicrous thing to say...

more police catching speeding drivers on the road into chamonix is good thing, the pollution levels are through the roof and the amount of drivers that flaunt the reduced speed limit is a joke.
latest report
Kruisler wrote:
Snowheads has really turned on the French bashing lately

I noticed that D G Orf could only acknowledge that the Swiss might be acting out of order if they were FRENCH Swiss wink

(just joking DGO)

redrunmarcus wrote:

There does seem to be a major hit on transfer companies and as most are British owned !!!!..........I hope it sorts out the illegal operators and levels the playing field as we jump through hoops to keep both the French and Swiss authorities happy

Yes, I really hope that's the upshot for the good guys who play by the rules.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
D G Orf wrote:
Kruisler,
Quote:

French taxi drivers behaves as bullies..it's not news... and by many accounts it's not specific to their French nationality.

Would have to agree, entirely possible that some or indeed many of the taxi drivers are not French, it does strike me as a poor situation however when as reported by Cham Express French police are apparently specifically targeting British owned transfer companies apparently at the request of the taxi drivers though.

Obviously I can't account for what the Gendarmes are saying or are being said by the hierarchy, but my belief as I explained in my previous post is that it is all transfer companies that are being targeted. And it happens that it is a market that was mainly developed for and by Brits, hence it looks like it is the brits being target but it's not strictly correct.
I doubt the Gendarmes do this just because the taxi drivers requested it. It's more likely that their lobbying has convinced more or less receptive local authorities that transfer companies operate illegally/ unsafely etc..

The example of the van not being loaded right seem to be out of the "jobs worth handbook". But then again, when I was 18 I got a bollocking from a gendarme for having an insurance vignette displayed on the wrong side of the windscreen... It must have been a slow day for them..
snow report
Kruisler, I once saw a Swiss officer at the border with a tape measure checking I think the position of some ones Motorway Vignette, it's fair to say that police/customs the world over will I think attract a certain amount of jobsworths

miranda, see my line above wink But actually I think there may be a certain element of truth to what you said in jest, each area of Switzerland seems to have its own way of doing things, I've been told before that the French speaking areas (and possibly other non German speaking areas) of Switzerland often resent being told by central government (in the German speaking bit) what they can and can't do, I was told this by a French speaking Swiss by the way, in the German speaking areas everything is run just so.. or everything is "In order" very much the German mindset, this does change as you travel around Switzerland

Oh and adie, in some parts of Switzerland
Quote:
out right weird.
might be considered a massive understatement wink Laughing
ski holidays
Kruisler wrote:
And back to the OP: French taxi drivers behaves as bullies..it's not news... and by many accounts it's not specific to their French nationality.

Erm. Speaking as the OP, there was never any mention of taxi drivers.
snow report
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
I find it reassuring that the paperwork is being checked and I am sure that any reputable operator would feel the same way. The postings on here would certainly encourage me to use the likes ofredrunmarcus for my transfer.

Me to, and I have
Very Happy
snow report
Mr Piehole,
True, apologies. Taxi drivers got brought into this later..
snow report
I think it's already been said that reputable companies, though annoyed at the hassle, would be glad if the French (and perhaps Swiss and Austrian) authorities are being strict about all the legal hoops. They would all be undercut by east European outfits, probably, especially if they cut costs by cutting corners, having unsafe and poorly maintained vehicles, etc etc.
ski holidays
D G Orf wrote:
I have no particular like or dislike of the French people, I do have a dislike of the way they manage to manipulate the EU to suit themselves but I've generally found the people themselves to be very helpful to a humble tourist, this may well be very different to how they treat outsiders coming in to their area and setting up rival businesses

I don't think the French have any problem with setting up rival businesses provided they comply with the laws in France. What sticks in the throat is when people (be they British, Polish, or whatever) think they can just come and do as they wish and ignore laws and regulations at their whim.
snow report
D G Orf wrote:
I can only assume that in Geneva their attitudes are pretty damn different to say Bern.

Actually they are pretty similar and I doubt Genevois would go around tire slashing.

I got the impression, from passing in front of the taxi rank nearly every day for 2 years, that most are Eastern Europeans, they certainly don't speak French to each other.
snow report
marksavoie wrote:

I don't think the French have any problem with setting up rival businesses provided they comply with the laws in France. What sticks in the throat is when people (be they British, Polish, or whatever) think they can just come and do as they wish and ignore laws and regulations at their whim.

One problem is that businesses may be complying with laws in France but still put local businesses at a disadvantage. A case being employing staff on temporay non-French work contracts.

The French also whinge about the EU for similar reasons to the Brits; they may have been better at playing the EU game in the past but Cameron showed that if the UK can build bridges with allies, particuarly Fr. Merkin, they can achieve results.
latest report
Mr Piehole wrote:
Corduroy wrote:
If it makes for a safer world then its all good.

Still stand by this?

Of course, safety is always first. But as you know full well i made that comment before all the other info was forthcoming.

If there is indeed some kind of 'black op' attempting to deliberately disrupt hard working english companies then it is beyond despicable.
snow report
I remember a few years back when the French Authorities were trying to discourage the use of Geneva and encourage the use of alternative French airports, they set up census points on main roads on Saturday mornings creating massive jams.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
marksavoie wrote:

That wouldn't explain all the smashed windows chez Ski Republic!
latest report
Maybe you should all substitute the phrase 'Asian/Romanian/this week's despised miniority minicab drivers' for 'Brit transfer companies' and then see how you feel about them being 'targeted'.
ski holidays
jbob wrote:
I remember a few years back when the French Authorities were trying to discourage the use of Geneva and encourage the use of alternative French airports, they set up census points on main roads on Saturday mornings creating massive jams.

Trouble is the other airports close to the French Alps are Grenoble, Lyon and Chambery, I don't know about the other 2 but increasing air traffic to Chambery would cause absolute havoc! Shocked
ski holidays
RichardB, You mean it isn't already rolling eyes Came through last year . . . utter shambles. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
Masque, I was fortunate that I arrived there on the first Saturday of January last year, a quiet off season week and it was bad enough.

I was thinking, what it would be like to arrive here during New Year or Half Term week, I got a chilling nightmare vision of carnage! Shocked
ski holidays
Chambery certainly has its moments but a couple of weeks ago, I experienced the joys of travelling in a Monarch A300-600, 360 seater to the Geneva charter terminal. They used one carousel for the luggage and it was absolute mayhem, easily equivalent to Chambery at its worst.

(… and the landing at Geneva was “exciting”, with the plane yawing more than I’ve ever experienced before.)
ski holidays
They were there again this morning. Same spot.
ski holidays
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=98573 Understandably the French and other Brit legitimate operators should be p***sed off when Brits do this.
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:
It seems they are after "casual" pick-ups.

That explains why they're targeting Brits then. snowHead
snow conditions
Our Italian taxi company were complaining just this morning about Geneva airport and the restrictions that are being imposed on them. So it's not just 'ze inglish' they are targeting, but anyone competing with swiss taxi firms.
snow conditions
I own a small chalet company and was asked last week by the parking attendants at Geneva for my license (when I was dropping some guests off in the Departures quick drop section). Were they referring to the license to do transfers in the canton of Geneva or some other license? Also Andrew of Chamexpress referred to a "florists" license in an earlier post - is this still valid and how would I go about getting one? Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
>especially as snow tyres were only fitted to the back this winter.

??? - very dangerous and not recommended. Illegal?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy