Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gendarmerie haranguing Brit transfer companies?

Poster: A snowHead
Driving back through Faverges today I saw about half a dozen 9 seaters pulled over by the Fronch Poloce at the side of a roundabout. Various companies. Three Valley Transfers was one, Tignes something-or-other was another. Looked like a major sting of some sort. Anybiddy know whit was gooing oon?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Mr Piehole, sounds like you nailed it. Sad
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Or alternatively checking that they are legal to operate.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
We had a conversation on this subject with our transfer driver as we were leaving Geneva last week. It seems they are after "casual" pick-ups. Our driver was keen to make sure we had our pre-booking documentation. It seems the licensed taxi-drivers are complaining about people illegally adding people and taking their work.

snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They check all the minibuses most of the time, not just haranguing the poor Brits.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Mr Piehole - I must have been on the same part of the road going in the same direction as you at about the same time as I saw those same three / four vans with gendarmes parked up there..... it is not the first time I have seen them there.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If it makes for a safer world then its all good.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
emwmarine wrote:
They check all the minibuses most of the time, not just haranguing the poor Brits.

Well I've never seen an entire cul de sac rammed full of police and exclusively British transfer companies before. It wasn't a spot check, there were loads herded into a side road.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whilst I agree with the sentiments above, as safety is always paramount, it is the case that it appears that predominently british owned, french companies are being targetted.

It has been the same in Taninges (on the way to Morzine) for the last two Saturdays, last Saturday one transfer companies driver got fined 250 euros for having an 'uneven load'. I.e. and 8 seat minibus with luggage in the boot, and six people in the back, but the two seats upfront next to the driver were empty. The Gendarms made the driver put 2 passengers up front, the luggage on the middle seat, and the other 4 in the back. Bit of a total joke!

The same companies drivers all got fined for not carrying medical certificates with them.

We've had vehicles delayed by 30 minutes at times, due to checks, and fortunately, have passed/not been fined - (yet!)

The Swiss were at it as well at the border. Our larger minibuses are over 3.5 tonnes laden, so we have to buy a form, for the more expensive road tax. Swiss Police swore blind last weekend that each vehicle must have a vignette, and not a form. Funny that in the past, when you only had a vignette, they said vehicle too heavy, you need to buy the form.

Basically, what is most fustrating, is that both the gendarms and the swiss border police don't actually know the laws that they are trying to 'police', or are making them up, and are trying to pray on seasonaire drivers naivity.

Obviously, it's pretty clear that the French economy is going down the toilet, and they need to raise money by fines, any way they can. (the amount of speed traps that have sprung up around Chamonix in the last two weeks is staggering). The Swiss are, well, just the Swiss.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Sat 9-02-13 23:20; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Chamexpress, Brilliant, as Switzerland has 3 other official languages rolling eyes
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Chamexpress, Brilliant, as Switzerland has 3 other official languages rolling eyes

Yes, the words of the Swiss Border Police... 'if you want to work in our Country you must speak French'.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Chamexpress, I worked in the German speaking bit and they just took the p1ss out of the French - especially those from Geneva Laughing
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
One day, I'll write a book.... because you really don't know half of what we all have to put up with, and I can't say on a public forum lol.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

an 'uneven load'. I.e. and 8 seat minibus with luggage in the boot, and six people in the back, but the two seats upfront next to the driver were empty.

actually, that does sound like it might have unbalanced the vehicle a bit.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
no pam they were being overzealous, seriously I can't see the problem

having weight on the back helps with grip up the alpine roads, especially as snow tyres were only fitted to the back this winter.
snow conditions
davidof, Laughing
snow conditions
Yes, they do seem to be picking on mainly English run French companies.
Having enough French to have a good conversation/argument seems to help. Been stopped 3 times with no problem.

If they just wanted to make money, they could have done better, by nicking all the plonkers driving around with a vehicle roof full of snow. Much more lucrative this week.
Just waiting for a manslaughter charge for someone for taking out a little old lady or children with their snow load.
A roof full of snow is not a status symbol, it's the sign of a Di&%$ead. Rant over.
snow report
DallyPaul, spot on

Coming down from Val Tho last week His prized load slid over the windscreen in the hairpins. Carried on driving at 5mph until he found the narrowest point to stop (just past a lay by). Then followed a load of the plonkers on the motorway. Not much fun waiting for a huge icy chunk to break free rolling eyes
snow conditions
Yep, checked twice at Geneva at the weekend. No worries though.
ski holidays
Quote:

actually, that does sound like it might have unbalanced the vehicle a bit.

No, it's being completely ridiculous.
snow report
Hi stevomcd,

Do you know who exactly was doing the checking when you got stopped today?

We don't want our driver stopped (we're legal but he doesn't speak a lot of french) so, Andy has been to the gendamerie in Geneva airport today to see what was going on and they didn't seem to know anything about it??!! They said they thought it was a private initiative by the airport but people seem to be being asked for licenses etc which I thought only the gendames had the right to make you show - and Andy said that in the airport today they had taxi on their vests rather than police.

Any ideas??? There's no chance this is some sort of scam is there??
snow conditions
Snow and Sunshine, surely this is a different issue to being stopped by gendarmes in Faverges though? Sounds like the taxi drivers in Geneva are acting illegally.
ski holidays
Hi Hells Bells,

I think that you're probably right - we didn't get stopped at Faverges so not sure what was going on there? The checks at Geneva have been going on for a couple of weeks on and off which is why Andy went to try and find out what was going on today. I think Steve got checked at the airport too . . .

We're mistified to be honest - no one at the airport info desk or the police station seemed to be able to give us any more info??? Any ideas anyone?
ski holidays
Snow and Sunshine, as far as I could tell, the guys doing the checking at P33 were cops. They had a full list of which vehicles were authorised, etc. I didn't have to show drivers' licence etc., just proof our van is legit in Canton Geneve and details of our pre-booked passengers.

Went through to arrivals and held up my sign to meet our guests, two other blokes in green uniforms came right over. Showed them the Canton Geneve paperwork and they went away happy.
ski holidays
Thanks stevomcd, - looks like they were legit then.

How weird that the guys in the airport didn't know what was going on then?
snow report
Update from today:

Another van stopped in Taninges this afternoon by Mr Gendarm. Strong words with the Gendarm from my French office person, and he openly said to her: 'we're blitzing les anglais transfers vans as they are taking work of the french taxi drivers'.

She's French, and she couldn't quite believe what she was hearing!

First fine: driver was fined 90 euro for not having his seatbelt on. (that's down to him) But as an operator, a clean sheet.
snow conditions
Chamexpress, Sad wow. Have they not heard of the EU? rolling eyes
latest report
Shimmy Alcott, Don't they claim to have invented it?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Welcome to France where they are only part of the EU so long as it's good for them, otherwise they cheat wink
snow report
Did I hear that London now has a huge number of French people living there ? 2 points, firstly I wonder if they are all over here because they can't stand their own country and secondly I wonder how the French would react if our police officers started hassling them for taking jobs from British workers ?
ski holidays
D G Orf, London is now the 6th biggest French city!
snow report
There's no excuse for what that police officer is reported as saying, which is quite shocking, but I think you would find that quite a lot of immigrants in the UK report a fair amount of hassle of all kinds.
snow report
genepi, that was it I knew it was big but couldn't remember the number, pam w, I think there's hassle and then there's hassle, sad to say many police officers can be prejudiced especially towards certain races, though there may be good reasons for some of this such as patroling in an area where a significant amount of the crime is committed by certain groups/gangs all of whom are a particular race, there are occasions though when it is just without reason, however if as Chamexpress, has reported they are targeting British Transfer Companies because the taxi drivers are loosing trade this is something else entirely and goes completely against EU rules, but as I said previously that won't stop the French, ask British farmers about how the French police allowed French Farmers to destroy their produce a few years back.
snow report
D G Orf, did you miss the whole thread about Swiss taxi drivers? Cham Express seems to have had some hassle from them too.
ski holidays
miranda, Indeed, however Switzerland isn't part of the EU they merely have agreements with it, the French should be abiding by the rules, many of which they wrote, but it seems they only do so when it suits them.
latest report
D G Orf, but it seemed from that other thread that the Swiss are not abiding by their own laws in this instance.
ski holidays
Just to refresh your memory:

Chamexpress wrote:
Hi all,

Here's where it's at:

1. The Swiss taxi drivers have a loud voice at the airport. Indeed, one could pose the question to the airport authorities of 'who actually runs the airport?' Because if you speak to the airport management (as we do) they are either powerless or spineless, whichever way you wish to look at it.

The fact of the matter is that the Authorities of the Canton of Geneva do not want the English owned French operators in their airport. They want to keep all the business to Swiss Registered businesses and the Swiss Taxis - Effectively a protectorate and restricted market practice.

They went as far as stating at a meeting of all the 'ENGLISH' owned transfer operators at the airport last year, that passengers had to have booked their onward airport transfer at least 24 hours before arriving at Geneva Airport. (they even put a slide stating this on the overhead projector screen). They have reiterated this again in a circular sent out to 'ENGLISH' owned operators last week. This is infact is NOT true and is not required at all by any law Swiss or otherwise. So they are spreading a falsehood. (The year before, they tried to say you had to book your transfer before the plane arrived in Swiss Airspace - because AlpLine had a deal with easyjet where you could purchase your ticket onboard the plane during the flight).

They also had the cheek to inform us all that anyone arriving in Geneva Airport without an onward transfer ticket would be 'FORCED' to take a taxi or the public bus'!

Stupid isn't it, if you think it through: Hmm.. what about people arriving by train?, who live or work in Geneva? Who are returning a hire car? This would mean they could never take a transfer, (or actually even a Swiss Taxi, if you're applying the same 'rule' equally) because they are already in Geneva.

The Swiss taxi Drivers are not in the slightest bit interested in facing the truth. They see ALL English transfer companies as rogue operators 'from abroad'. Whether in fact they are correctly licenced or not.

Markets change over time, and rather than continuinely whinging about 'competition' they need to move with the times.

2. The situation is not helped by the Xenophobic attitude and lack of legal understanding of the law by both SCOM and the Airport Police. As long ago as 2008 COMCO on behalf of the Federal Government wrote to the Canton of Geneva informing them that the 400CHF that they charge (under menance/threats) is an illegal charge and violates international trade agreements between Switzerland and the EU. The Canton have taken no notice of this and SCOM (Service de Commerce) continue to demand payment.

It is worth noting that a Swiss Operator in the Canton of Valais (not Geneva) who was charged the 400CHF has recently obtained a Court Judgement in his favour.

3. Switzerland has also signed up to a treaty with the EU on the Freedom of Movement of Workers. This is relevant because no restriction should now be placed on workers from the EU wishing to work in Switzerland. Technically, this means that it could be argued that the 400CHF is a restriction.

4. Regretably, there are still a number of unlicensed and therefore uninsured operators out there. I can think of at least a handful. Who either conduct 'grand cabotage' or who operate more vehicles for which they have licences for. There is also a complete lack of understanding of transport law by many people that are running minibuses. For example, some that take the exam for their 'Certificate of Professional Competence' believe that this entitles them to run vehicles. No, they still have to apply for their actual Operating Licence.

5. Then you have the 'chalet licence' or 'florists licence' as its known. This is where someone with no qualifications at all can ask for a licence to operate ONE 8-seat minibus alongside an existing business. They can only transport their own guests/customers, and the income from this activity must not be more than 50% of the income from the main business.

However, many people use this licence to offer transfers to the general public. This is illegal, and justifiably the Swiss Authorities should be concerned. However, when you apply for the Canton Licence paying your 400CHF they only ask to see ONE Operating Licence, NOT one for each vehicle.

6. The Swiss Taxi Drivers are thuggish. My Airport staff have been abused and physically assaulted by some of them in the past. Despite making formal complaints the Airport Police do not take action.

Last winter, we had a total of 10 minibuses that had their tyres slashed by the Taxi Drivers whilst parked at Geneva Airport. How do we know it was the taxi drivers? Well, in one incident, it was getting dark, andtwo passengers were already sitting in the vehicle. The taxi driver came up to the bus, slashed the tyre, and then the passengers saw him return to the taxi rank and give his fellow taxi drivers the 'thumbs up'. This is hardly the conduct of a transport 'professional' and is very dangerous and potentially places lives at risk.

My advice, is to spread the word about the 'welcoming' attitude at/of Geneva Airport, the Swiss Taxi Drivers, and their, and SCOM's Restrictive Trade Practices. Write to English newspapers and most importantly write/email the Swiss Tourist Board in London. They are run by the Federal Government, not the Canton of Geneva

We will continue to fight for the right of arriving passengers freedom to chose their method of onward transport to a ski resort.

Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, I've 30 years experience in International Passenger Ground Transportation, so know the International Laws pretty well I have also met with the lawyer who wrote the Geneva Taxi Law (who also happens to legally represent the Geneva Taxi Drivers). I do not think I have ever come across a more poorly drafted piece of transport legislation which has more holes in it than a Swiss cheese.

One final point. The Swiss Taxi drivers should look at their own Canton of Geneva taxi laws' defination of a 'taxi': 1. A vehicle that is rented and paid-for for a period of time (I paraphrase). - (That is not a shared transfer minibus where a customer pays for 'a seat'.

rant over

Andrew
SARL Chamexpress.com
ski holidays
What an excellent post Andrew, very informative and useful.
ski holidays
I always find the Swiss a little strange, each Canton seems to have it's own particular way of doing things, and woe betide you if you should do anything to offend someone in charge, it doesn't really matter if you are a local or a foreigner whatever you do don't break the rules, having said that I've never had a problem in Canton Bern or for that matter most of the other Cantons I've visited but I've met people who have.
snow report
Corduroy wrote:
If it makes for a safer world then its all good.

Still stand by this?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy