Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Livigno Half Term

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Anybody know the skiing at Livigno well? Two families of mixed ability going with one very nervous second weeker. Be good to help her out with some confidence boosting easy runs.

Anyone?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is your nervous second weeker OK on drag-lifts? If so, then there are loads of easy, short blues all along the bottom of the Carosello side of the resort. Starting from the end of town nearest the lake, it is possible to zig-zag up and across to the top of the Costaccia, using all blues IIRC. From there a chair-lift gives access to some longer blues and easy reds. Provided they can handle the drag-lifts, I think you have made an excellent choice for them. There are some longer blues on the other (Mottolino) side; again at the end of town nearest the lake. There seemed to be a lot more out of control 'flying herberts' on that side of the valley. I was hit twice, but that might have been just the luck of the draw. Livigno is the only place I have managed to fall off a drag-lift, as my ski-buddy never tires of reminding me and anyone else who will listen! Laughing Have a great time.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Gaz C, Thanks for that. All promising stuff BUT she is battling with an almost phobic fear of the poma's at present. She is working on it and hopefully will resolve it then your cunning plan works well.

If however she doesnt tackle it, is there a charlift or even better gondola access to suitably mellow slope(s) for her?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mottolino side may be better until she overcomes her phobia. At the top of the Mottolino gondola is a long chair-lift that goes to the highest point on that side of the resort. From there it is a long blue all the way back down to the bottom of the gondola. Quite a few years since we were there, but I seem to recall that chair-lift being old and rickety and slow and bloody cold. I hope for the sake of the rest of your group that it has been replaced. Mind you, a couple of rides on that chair in a 'fresh' breeze at -20* would probably 'cure' her of her fear of drag-lifts Laughing !

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Sat 9-02-13 17:27; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Peter Leuzzi, maybe a lesson with a sympathetic instructor who could focus particularly on the pomas?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quite a few of the 'drags' on the Carosello side are very short. From the top of some, it is only possible to ski back to the lift you came up on. Ideal for building confidence. She should be fine wink .
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gaz C,

With respects the long blue from the top of Mottolino, and I know I am pushing it now with a detailed question like this:

1. Can you recall, was the travelling to the top the sort of thing that might bother her? Any tricky little sections linking lifts or anything?

2. The actual blue run - can you recall any spicy bits that might raise the adrenalin for her?

Thanks for all this
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Livigno is a great choice for second week skiers, it was for us anyway .
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The long blue at the top of Mottolino is easy, but to get back to the village , you need to take another long blue, not quiet as easy , but easy, the only problem is
there is a narrow bit thru a forest, whch often gets icy

The options would be take Gondala down if you need to avoid the long blue home
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The blues along the top there are great - my brother loved them. I think the chair lift is a 5/6 man modern, fast and covered one. As dublin2 says, she will probably want to take the lift down at the end of the day. That end does get a bit worn & icy for the final descent.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Peter Leuzzi wrote:
Gaz C,

With respects the long blue from the top of Mottolino, and I know I am pushing it now with a detailed question like this:

1. Can you recall, was the travelling to the top the sort of thing that might bother her? Any tricky little sections linking lifts or anything?

2. The actual blue run - can you recall any spicy bits that might raise the adrenalin for her?

Thanks for all this

musher's response suggests that the old, slow chairlift has been replaced or (equally likely), I am mistaken. We were there about 10 years ago and there was a diabolically slow and very exposed lift on the Mottolino. On reflection, it may have been the one that brings you back up from Trepalle. Either way it's good news for your group. I'm struggling to recall specific details of the blue run itself. We didn't have any problems at all with it but we had done about 5 weeks when we went to Livigno. musher's and dublin2's experiences are probably more recent than mine. The skiing in Livigno isn't overly difficult and if your companion is more nervous of the pomas than she is of the actual pistes, she could well be cruising the reds by mid-week and the drag-lifts will not be an issue.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I love Livigno . . . but I go there for the holiday rather than the sliding. You can have a lot of fun there on skis/board but you can have a lot more just chillin' out and recharging yer batteries . . . you can also hammer your credit card with the duty free status.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
musher, The chair from Mottolino along the ridge to access the easy blue from that direction is still the old slow 2 seater (only big enough for one if you are 6 foot plus). The run can also be accessed by a fast modern chair, but that chair can only be accessed from s red run. The Blue from Mottolino down to Trepalle is easy enough, and returns to the top via a modern chair.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks,RobinS,. That's how I remembered it. My recollections have faded over ten tears and I am prepared to be over-ruled. Smile
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Now I've checked I see where my memory has let me down. I was actually thinking about the nice lift at the top of Costaccia on the other side of the valley.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy