Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

BASI Level 1 - question

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
So, having worked bloody hard on my skiing over the last couple of years I've had this crazy idea of perhaps giving my BASI level 1 a go. (I mentioned it to the last BASI instructor I had lessons with and they didn't think it was a crazy idea - so maybe there's hope).

Now it may be that my skiing isn't up to it and will crumble under scrutiny, and I realise some serious work will need to put in on my snowplough(!) - but what I'd like to find out more about is how the actual 'teaching' element of the course is assessed?

I assume trainees have to give mock lessons as part of the course - if so, is it assessed in one big 'final exam' type day, or is more of a gradual assessment through the week?

I know there are quite a few threads on the BASI level 1 course - but haven't seen much about how the 'teaching' side of things are dealt with.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
abj, The teaching side of it is a gradual introduction with a few mock lesson delivery sessions, after all people attending a Level 1 course aren't expected to have any teaching experience whatsoever, that's taken care of during your shadowing hours.

If your skiing is up to it, don't disappear into a hole when put in front of 10 people, can tolerate other people's kids, then go for it.

If you want me to take a look at your skiing at Hemel one night let me know. There is also instructor development group sessions run at Hemel for people that are thinking of becoming an instructor.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
abj, the whole course inc teaching and the technical skiing is gradual assessment through the week, and you are given tips and help on teaching. IIRC you have to give a couple of 10 minute lessons, and have the night before each one to work on a lesson plan, with a very useful manual.

regards,

Greg
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys.

Spyderman, thanks for the offer to take a look at my skiing - much appreciated.

Quote:

don't disappear into a hole when put in front of 10 people,

To be honest this is the bit I worry about. 'Presenting' to 10 people doesn't bother me - but I do wonder (worry) how confident I'll be under an examiner's eye in an assessment/exam situation.

Confused
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
abj, I did some shadowing prior to my l1, that may help to give you some ideas by watching & listening to other instructors???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
abj, I know exactly how you feel. I enjoy teaching, but really don't like being watched when I'm teaching. But it really isn't that bad, particularly on the L1 course - everyone else will be in the same boat. The emphasis is very much on safety, enjoyment, then learning. So you will focus on group management, and keeping it simple and fun. In my experience the people who struggled with the teaching element weren't those who were a bit self-consious, but actually those who were very confident, but got so intently focused on the technical aspects of the lesson that they would stop a group in a dangerous spot, or talk for so long they lost the group's attention.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
beanie1, thanks - that's reassuring.

Next step I guess is to get my skiing assessed - so will look into this!

Then I suppose it's snowdome vs. mountain for actual course .... so much to think about Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abj, the next assessment session at HH is on the evening of Tues 19th Feb.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy