Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

TR: Comma Couloir, French Chartroose

Poster: A snowHead
Great conditions in the Alps as everyone probably knows, we've not had too much snow like the Pyrenees and what has fallen is currently well bonded to the base unlike previous falls. After a busy week, first at the Hokkaido of the Alpes Happy, a low angle route through the Gresivaudan's Bonzai forests

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97501

then some deep track making on Mount Pravouta

it was a chance to head a bit steeper and the "Comma Couloir" another descent on the East Rampart of the Chartreuse and again clearly visible as you pass the le Touvet exit on the autoroute. I like this route, about 870 meters climbing and from the car-park you can be up and back in about an hour and a half and back at your desk before your boss has noticed your "comfort break" was a bit longer than normal.

Viz wasn't great looking into the Couloir, just a few tracks of previous skiers

but the fog started to clear further down

the clouds cleared to reveal the snowbound Gresivaudan valley

You ski down through the yellow buttresses and ramparts of the Chartreuse

and the great snow was enough to put smiles on everyone's faces

wink
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice photos Very Happy
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Well worth the walk up Cool
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I look at the threads from this man realise just how many wrong turns I've made with my career path . . . Sad

davidof, how do you get the dog down? wink
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
davidof, Very Happy
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

about 870 meters climbing and from the car-park you can be up and back in about an hour and a half

he must climb quicker than I do. I find 500m in an hour quite enough, and that's in summer, not on snow.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
davidof, Lovely, thanks for sharing. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Must be great to be able to nip out for a hour and a half like just going out for a quick bike ride on your doorstep very jealous Very Happy great pics by the way.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beautifully shot, executed and described, thank not for posting and giving me a few moments of escapism
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Awesome, much better conditions than the last TR. Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.

Here is the route, if the main axis of the couloir has seen too much sun I take the little sub couloir on the left, as we did yesterday.

10 years ago you could find fresh powder 3 days after snowfall in this couloir, now you have to ski right at the end of any storm cycle to get first turns.

My GPS says 820m climbing in 1h02m and 0h18m descent, they should stick a chair lift in. Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cool photos, especially the first one.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
davidof, snowHead
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Looks fantastic! I also want to know how the dog gets down...
latest report
davidof, 800m in an hour? Show off! I am not worthy to undo you boot buckles!
snow report
Don't worry about dogs, they can descend almost anywhere a skier can. It is not my dog, I just crossed the skier and hound who were taking advantage of the track I made up. However it was quite funny because when the dog moved out of the track you could just see his snout and he was almost doggy paddling in the snow.

There is a dog that lives in Chamrousse, he waits for the first ski tourers of the morning to follow them across the mountains to a refuge called le Pra, there he picks up other ski tourers going down to a village called Freydieres, he will then repeat in the reverse direction. 20km and 2500 meters of climbing in a day. He might do it twice if he can find anyone doing the trip later in the day.

I was slalom training on Saturday with junior, quite a different experience. We are "only" doing our fleche. Last week a man born in 1936 got his Fleche d'Argent, quite humbling to see that.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy