Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Weekend ski trip advice

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm wondering about slotting in a cheeky weekend of skiing in March, and was looking for some advice. I can currently get reasonable deals on flights to either Geneva or Munich, arriving late Thursday/early Friday and departing late Monday evening. Do you have any tips for how to organise a trip like this and any suggested resorts, hotels, etc?

I was thinking Garmisch or the Ski Juwel area could be a good bet from Munich, but not sure about transfers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've done a weekend from Geneva, staying in Les Gets. Shared ski area with Morzine, even Avoariaz if you're feeling keen (Les Gets/Morzine would be fine for a weekend). I used a transfer company called Skiidy Gonzalez, they're private minibuses for which you either book the whole minibus or just an individual seat. Transfer time is just over an hour.

Have also done a weekend in Flims/Laax, that was flying in to Friedrichshafen.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Weekends I've done from Geneva:

Les Gets
Morzine
La Clusaz
Chamonix
Verbier
Crans Montana

This year it's Mayrhofen via Munich.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I did one to Chamonix last April - flew to Geneva, transfer with Alpybus (have had some issues with them before but they behaved on this occasion), stayed in Hotel Prieurie (nice, reasonable, clean). It was fun and didn't break the bank - the snow wasn't great though, really icy in the mornings, OK for a few hours, then slush. Also, having skiied Chamonix a couple of times now, I wouldn't go back because the ski areas are too 'bitty' and disjointed - I prefer ones that all join up - but it's good for a long weekend.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Ski Juwel area could be a good bet from Munich

sugarmoma666, piece o' cake from Munich. Train to Ost Bahnhof, change to direct train to Worgl - under 2 hours. Short taxi from Worgl to Wildschonau but ask your hotel to pick you up. Try the Staffler Hotel - great hosts.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We have just booked a "cheeky weekend" last week in March and going back to Les Gets. Hour transfer from Geneva it is so handy, plus if you get the whole PDS lift pass you will have plenty to be going on with. I too have heard some bad stories about Alpy Bus so will be using Alp Nav who are slightly more expensive but have never failed to deliver.
CANNOT WAIT!!!!

Wherever you end up - enjoy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Cheers for the advice. Now to see if I have anyone to go with. Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sugarmoma666 wrote:
. I can currently get reasonable deals on flights to either Geneva or Munich, arriving late Thursday/early Friday and departing late Monday evening. .

I have been looking at the same thing - flight to GVA are mad £200 on EJ exc baggage and skis which would make it around £300 return on late thurs back late monday. Not so reasonable to me! Airlines are taking the p**s these days!

You could do the Stubai Glacier from Munich - 2.3 hours drive. If you go with others it would be cheaper to rent a car I think. It is high so will have snow for sure.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:
It is high so will have snow for sure.

Yes it will have snow, as will most of the rest of Tirol and Salzburgerland as it is only the end of March, not May!!!! Easter weekend is Friday 29th March to Monday 1st April. Last year it was April 6th through to April 9th and in 2011 Easter was even later, April 22nd through to April 25th. I was skiing in normal resorts in Austria on both those weekends. The further east you go in the Alps the less influence you have of mild weather pushing in from the Atlantic. That's not to say we don't lose snow cover to warm air - we have the dreaded Föhn to contend with, but that rarely if ever brings rain, just great vis and warm temperatures! If the Föhn is blowing it usually means ice in the morning, nice "firm" surfaces midday and slush in the afternoons - so normal Spring skiing conditions for most! wink

Non-glacial resorts in Austria will start closing down from Easter Monday - not because there is no snow but because of the agreements the lift companies have made with the land owners and lack of business. Most non-glacial resorts will be closed by Monday 15th April because trade will have dropped off to virtually nothing by then and it costs too much to keep lifts running when there are so few customers. Just because they are up to their necks in snow does not mean they will be open I'm afraid! Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

Just because they are up to their necks in snow does not mean they will be open I'm afraid!

same applies early season - most resorts in this neck of the woods were opening on 22 December, and even if there were massive snowfalls earlier in December, there wasn't going to be any skiing before then.

The "late season" is statistically a better bet for good snow than "early season", around here - though early was stupendous this year, Christmas snow can be quite scarce. And late March is usually a much more pleasant time to ski than late December, when you can be reasonably sure of short days, expensive prices and big lift queues!

Quote:

Airlines are taking the p**s these days!

there's never been more airline competition and airfares "these days" are vastly more affordable than they were in the past. In my young day, only the rich went skiing (or anywhere else on planes). Airlines exist on narrow margins and price their offerings very carefully.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I find myself agreeing with pam w, £300 is cheap to move 100 kilos 1000 kilometers, we have just got used to cheap travel.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Compare that with transfer costs for example.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Or even a train ticket, especially peak with no travel card. I pay £38.00 to go 38 miles (return) regular class.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bode Swiller wrote:
Quote:

Ski Juwel area could be a good bet from Munich

sugarmoma666, piece o' cake from Munich. Train to Ost Bahnhof, change to direct train to Worgl - under 2 hours. Short taxi from Worgl to Wildschonau but ask your hotel to pick you up. Try the Staffler Hotel - great hosts.

I got lazy and booked a package in the end. However, I like the look of the Ski Jewel area. Is the skiing good? Is it somewhere where hiring a car so you can check out some of the other local resorts its a good idea? I still quite fancy skiing in Garmisch sometime.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
there's never been more airline competition and airfares "these days" are vastly more affordable than they were in the past. In my young day, only the rich went skiing (or anywhere else on planes). Airlines exist on narrow margins and price their offerings very carefully.

Compared to 20 years ago yes, but we had a spell when budget airline were building capacity that airfares were rock bottom, in the last 5 years or so as airlines have been cutting capacity if anything, then fairs have risen again. I used to be able to get a family of 5 out to the alps in half term for £600ish even flying on a saturday. Now its around £1000 give or take flying friday or Sunday and little change from £2000 if you want to fly saturday to saturday
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy