Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best Resort to Experince Alps in the Summer

Poster: A snowHead
Oh well I must have misheard what they all said then, silly old me Sad

Maybe it's a Villeneuve thing ?

In fact between the two apartment blocks here they have put up a fence to stop the "Italians" parking in front of one and the legging it up across their land and mine as it happens, as they're too lazy to park where they should as it's a longer walk, same is meant to happen in high season in the winter, they will park up as close as they can get rather than park in their designated places.

I'll be putting up a "Beware Dangerous Dog(s)" sign.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 29-04-13 10:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I am determined to see a flippin' marmot this summer

Wasn't expecting to see any, but did, right under the Swiss Mossettes lift in PdS.

Quote:

Off there kayaking in a couple of weeks actually. Should be a nice warm up before the main alpine season kicks off.

Top destination for watersports, I gather. We were MTBing, but I think most are there for the canyoning, kayaking, etc. or just relaxing.

Quote:

I gather it's supposed to be a stunning part of the world...

It is. Possibly part of the reason that Narnia was filmed there (just south of Bovec afaik). Can't wait to go back, but I don't think it'll be this year.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
tessaventer wrote:
Dolomites in Italy every time. Craggy pink coral peaks especially at sunset, lots of walking (try the Lagazuoi - Hidden Valley - between La Villa and Cortina for culture as well as walking), pretty little golf courses as well.
Seefeld in the Austrian Tyrol is another really pretty area in the summer.
Try the mountain pass from Italy into Obergurgl for stunning scenery and hairpin bends.

How did you walk the Hidden Valley? Did you take the cable car up to the top from the Falzarego Pass and walk down to San Cassiano? I skied it back in March - it would be nice to walk it. Lunch at Scotoni's - yumm!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've dug out my record of last summer's trip to the Romanche and Arc valleys (black = driven, cyan = walked):

We went during the last two weeks of August and found it quite quiet - except the route down from the Col du Lautaret to Briancon which was heaving with bicycles going down and rollerskis going up!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
altis, yeah they all park where my apartment is Laughing

On Saturday I drove about 50mins south of here down along the Briancon / Gap N94 and did a tough old ride around Lac Serre Poncon

Track route is here http://app.strava.com/activities/50972473 now that is one place that is only geared up for the summer !

And will busy on July 17th as that is when there's a Time Trial from Embrun to Chorges in the TDF before the big ADH stage.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Briancon old town is meant to be fantastic.

Yes indeed - a town fortified by Vauban with forts protecting it all around (4 in this photo!! It's own and 3 others). Just ignore the main, unfortified entry which is 19th century, but next to one of the 2 original ones with outer and inner gatehouses.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/europanostra/8650770407/in/set-72157633247262541/lightbox/
I'm fairly sure that the snowy mountaintop in the far background is at the edge of the Montgenevre ski area (there are even fortifications up there!).
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
snowball, if you're impressed by Vauban's Briancon fortresses check out what he did about 25km down the N94 - Mont Dauphin !
http://www.montdauphin.com/
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
http://www.hotel-stadt-wien.com/en/

Great for kids I’m told. Zell is one of my favourite places to holiday, summer skiing, sailing on lake, pedaloes, lovely lido, hill walking (down, as you can go up in cable cars) kids get most things free. There’s great castles (Hohe Werfen, where Where Eagles Dare was filmed) salt mines, old fashioned fairgrounds, summer sled courses, pony/horse riding, paragliding, water skiing and donuts, we kept rather busy.

We stayed here one which can be really good value with little kids ( we got upgraded to Elizabeth suite which was fantastic)

http://www.grandhotel-zellamsee.at/en/meta/home/

http://www.salzburg-burgen.at/en/werfen/

http://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/excursions/old_salt_works_bad_reichenhall

http://www.salzburg.info/en/sights/excursions/water_world_krimml

http://www.maiskogel.at/en/alpine-coaster.html

http://jetzbach.at/en-angebote-urlaub-in-piesendorf-kaprun-skiverleih-paragleiten.html

http://www.kaprunerhof.at/kitzsteinhorn-glacier
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Weathercam wrote:
snowball, if you're impressed by Vauban's Briancon fortresses check out what he did about 25km down the N94 - Mont Dauphin !
http://www.montdauphin.com/

Or the huge fortress at Lille.

Briancon isn't a Classic 17th century fortification but the situation makes it: and there are lots of forts instead of one huge one

I must look up Mont Dauphin

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Tue 30-04-13 10:17; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm really encouraged by all the votes for Chamonix on here - I'm just about to book my wedding in Chamonix for next summer in the hope that it'll be a great place to bring our respective parents, sisters, brothers in law and their kids. I'm having trouble convincing people who have never been to the Alps that it is a magical place in the summer - they just can't envisage it.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowball, there'a a lovely Vauban fortress in Colmars-les-Alpes, not far from the Col d'Allos and Pra Loup. I think some of it pre-dates Vauban though.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I'm really encouraged by all the votes for Chamonix on here - I'm just about to book my wedding in Chamonix for next summer in the hope that it'll be a great place to bring our respective parents, sisters, brothers in law and their kids. I'm having trouble convincing people who have never been to the Alps that it is a magical place in the summer - they just can't envisage it.

I tend to think of Chamonix mainly as as summer destination. It is fantastic in the summer. Take the Montenvers train and go for a walk on the Mare de Glace before it retreats even further. Take the telepherique up to the Aiguille du Midi. IIRC there is also a great Parcours du Adventure for the kids of all ages.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Rois1980, fabulous choice! And if they aren't convinced, we'll make up the numbers wink snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
double post

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Tue 30-04-13 21:48; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:

Alan! Alan! Alan! (oh....) Steve! Steve!
marmotte16, come across the road to the Arc2000 valley if marmotte hunting is your thing. Undreds of the damn things. All the way up the valley under the Arcabulle lift (which runs in summer for pedestrians and bikes) then walk the way down. Fabulous. /div>
snow conditions
Rois1980, if your wedding will be in the main summer holiday period, give some thought to parking - a bit of a booger in Chamonix in the summer. Lovely place to be, though. And the advantage of the main summer holiday period is lifts will be open to get up the mountains and do some spectacularly high walking with minimal effort.
ski holidays
Arctic Roll, will do Laughing I've had so many recommended spots from snowHead over the last few years ..... little boogers.
latest report
marmotte16, During the winter thre are lots of them by the bottom lift station of the Marmottes.

Wait a minute they may be stuffed toys Smile
snow conditions
pam w, didn't think of the parking as would intend to use a car only for getting from the airport (and for someone to drive me to the church of course!). as well as a couple of supermarket trips. I'd hope that we could walk or get the buses around when walking is too far.

I am super-amazed at the quality of and value for money with chalets in the summer. There are some beautiful places available in Chamonix town itself. I think my family will be blown away.

johnE, from a cursory internet search, I think (hope) the parcours is definitely still there.
marmotte16, you'd be very welcome!
snow report
Quote:

I'd hope that we could walk or get the buses around when walking is too far.

Chamonix is a very long, strung-out sort of place, stretches for miles along the valley. No idea how good or frequent the buses are in the summer - one of the Chamonix locals could no doubt advise.
snow report
We did a couple of day trips to Chamonix last August and didn't have any problems parking. There is a huge car park by L'Aiguille de Midi cable car and another one near the station for the Montenvers train. I think we also used another car park behind the swimming pool complex which includes a lovely outdoor 50m pool. Chamonix was generally bustling with people though. We liked staying in Saint Gervais (quieter) and driving to Chamonix for the day from there (20 mins). I think it is worth hiring a car for a summer holiday in the alps in order to visit more places.
snow report
Ah I've been to Chamonix a few times and I've checked the bus timetables on the Chamonix tourist office website - they are still pretty regular in the summer as well, up until 7.30 or so.

We'll have a few cars between us all but I intend not to do too much driving so I can enjoy lazy lunches in town.

Though plans took a turn for the worse last night when the wedding planner told me the little Catholic church I had my heart set on has been de-Catholicised!

snowymum, did you use the pool ? My niece and nephews will be coming and the outdoor pool is top of the must-do list.
snow report
We are going on a road rip in July, a couple of night in the Rheine valley, a few more in Lucern (trip to the Jungfrau) then over to Austria for a few days at Mayrhofen/Hintertux and then on to Zell. Now that beats Glen Shee.

snow report
Rois1980 - yes we did use the pools in Chamonix.

The pool complex at Chamonix is as follows:
- children's, learner pool (indoors)
- decent toboggan/water slide
-25 metre indoor pool
- 50 metre outdoor pool. I spotted the outdoor pool from the top of the Brevent/flegere area one day and it looked very inviting so we decided to return to try it out later in the week.

Even though it was the end of August the weather went within a week from being in the 30s (too hot) to around 10 degrees (too cold!). By the time we were having our swimming pool day it was about 10 degrees and felt nearer freezing. It was hard leaving the warm indoor bit to walk out of a door to the outdoor pool. Nevertheless once I was in the water it was fine.

NB. Make sure your friends and family take traditional swimming trunks as the short style ones aren't allowed at that pool.
ski holidays
Quote:

Even though it was the end of August the weather went within a week from being in the 30s (too hot) to around 10 degrees (too cold!)

typical mountain weather. One day you're walking in shorts and T shirts, the next you're wishing you'd bought your ski jacket.
snow report
Last summer Lampbus and I spend a very enjoyable summer holiday in Weissensee which is a small village near Fussen (home to Neuschwanstein Castle) in Germany directly situated near a small lake of which there are many in the region. We went hiking, rented mountain bikes, went rowing and swam in various lakes. (We were very lucky with the weather!!!). The area also gives easy access to Austria for day trips (or even for hiking across the border if one is so inclined).

We stayed at http://www.steigmuehle.de/

Prior to flying home we spent a couple of days in Munich which is always worth a trip!

www.fuessen.de

http://www.nesselwang.de/alpspitzbahn.0.html

http://www.oberstdorf.de/en/

http://www.muenchen.de/int/en/

We will def. be back in 2014 because this year we are heading for:

http://www.berchtesgaden.de/en/startseite.html

http://www.koenigssee.com/
ski holidays
schneeflocke, that's just along the road from my Heimat village -Dahoam is Dahoam as we say down here wink
ski holidays
Samerberg Sue, you are very lucky then! Very Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w,
Quote:

Even though it was the end of August the weather went within a week from being in the 30s (too hot) to around 10 degrees (too cold!)
So true Pam..I can't believe how much it can fluctuate.
snow report
Kids have a week holidays 7-14 June...want to head to the alps, and after reading the thread, I am as undecided as before I started reading. It all sounds lovely. I've not been to Murren, so was leaning that direction...somewhere with lots of mountain wild flowers!
snow conditions
Pralognan,a lovely family resort,scenery to rival Chamonix or Zermatt at half the cost. Walks, flowers,ibex,chamois,swimming pool,ice rink,cinema. You might even try it in winter. Great for children starting to ski and very close to Paradiski and 3V. You won't see any English apart from us!
latest report
HeidiAmsterdam, my corner of South East Bavaria has masses on offer for children and families, both in terms of free activities and ones to pay for. lots of family offers as well. Take a look at Rosenheimerland and the Chiemgau. That week is Half Term week down here so there will be lots of special activities organised to keep the children amused, however most of the other Bündesländer are no longer on holiday so accommodation prices may not be too exorbitant!
ski holidays
HeidiAmsterdam, wot Samerberg Sue said. But you won't be doing anything wrong if you go to Mürren, Wengen or Lauterbrunnen for a few days walking in summer.
ski holidays
I have to agree with Pralognan, Pralognan is a beautiful summer resort, one of the classic mountaineering resorts and gateway to the Vanoise. I will be at one of the huts (whichever ones are open this early in the season) at the end of June. La Grande Casse might be a suitable objective.
snow conditions
HeidiAmsterdam, We had a lovely few days over in Zermatt last summer, so much so that we are going back again this summer. Lech, Austria is wonderful in the summer too. As someone said earlier in this thread try and avoid the higher resorts, the top near us in the summer, above the tree line isn't that pretty, as you walk down it gets better and there are some great walks along the Bisses around the 4 Vallees which I think you know very well.
snow conditions
Yeah, my kids think it would be kind of cool to go back to Verbier in the summer and hike where they skied, we could do worse.
snow conditions
We just booked up St Wolfgang yesterday for a week at the end of June.
ski holidays
Quote:

Pralognan,a lovely family resort,scenery to rival Chamonix or Zermatt at half the cost. Walks, flowers,ibex,chamois,swimming pool,ice rink,cinema. You might even try it in winter. Great for children starting to ski and very close to Paradiski and 3V. You won't see any English apart from us!

Another big "thumbs up" for Pralognan-la-Vanoise. I regularly work from there in summer and winter. Beautiful walking in the Vanoise National Park. The picture is the much photographed "Lac des Vaches" with the Grande Casse (3855m) in the background.

And here are some male ibex (bouquetin) not far from the Col de la Vanoise - with a new refuge.

snow conditions
marksavoie, lovely photos. Nothing quite that majestic near St Wolfgang, I think, though I had several happy holidays in St Gilgen (a less well known spot on the same lake) in the past. I'm heading to the Alps on Saturday - can you suggest a good spot in the Vanoise for a day trip and a (moderately gentle) walk, from the Albertville direction?
snow report
pam w, There is an old thread about hiking in the Vanoise National Park here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1551924&highlight=vanoise#1551924 but I'm not sure whether the links will still work.

One of our favourite walks in the Vanoise National Park is the route from Laisonnay towards Tignes, we know it as the Marmotte walk as there are loads of them to be spotted on the way. You can walk as far as Tignes but we only usually manage about half way to the Glacial lake. There are some fantastic views en-route, plenty of waterfalls, a great view of the Grand Motte Glacier and there is even a refuge just before you reach the lake.
It used to take us around 4 to 5 hours for the return trip and it was classed as a moderate walk.

It takes about 45 minutes to drive there from Albertville, just take the road through Champagny village, through Champagny le Haut and carry on as far as the road will take you. There is a large car park at the entrance to the Park and a refuge - http://www.laisonnay.com/francais/refuge/fr_ref_3_restaurant.html . You can buy snacks, drinks and meals from the restaurant before or after your walk.

There is a not very detailed map (on page 2) showing the start of the walk here - http://static.sitra-tourisme.com/filestore/objets-touristiques/documents/149234.pdf
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy