Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Flow snowboard bindings

Poster: A snowHead
hi everyone just got back from Courmayeur and had a great week. I went with a guy who had an old pair of flow bindings and was quite jealous of how quick he got into /out of them and its made me think about buying some. i have had a quick look on ebay and not sure what model to get. I have a pair of burton customs and am getting a bit p*ssed off at the toe strap moving all the time. Back to the flows i only ride the reds and blues dont need them for tricks, jumps etc although do a little bit of off piste but nothing too daring.
Any help / comment welcome.
i have size 11 boots (if that matters)
Puzzled snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Just to make it a bit harder for you, have you considered K2 Cinchs and APO Bindings ?

They give you the best of both worlds...

I have the latter and I am very happy with them..
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Kruisler wrote:
Just to make it a bit harder for you, have you considered K2 Cinchs and APO Bindings ?

They give you the best of both worlds...

I have the latter and I am very happy with them..

i quite liked the fact that the flows this guy had on was more of a sleave you slid your foot in rather than two straps
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andybabes, Flows can be a pain to get out of if you get stuck in deep snow. My personal view is that they are great for your first few weeks when you seem to be constantly stepping in and out of your bindings, but once you get used to a decent pair of regular bindings, they are just as comfortable and only take a couple of seconds longer to strap into. The flows I used where a lot heavier too (but this was about 7-8 years ago)....I seem to remember snow building up on the base plate each time you slid your foot in, as they weren't as easy to clear out than a standard binding.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Had Flows for my kids to learn, found that when they were tight enough to hold the boot properly you couldn't get in\out of them. When they were loose enough to get boots in the boot was loose when done up (making initiating turns more difficult due to lack of response). I've ridden both K2 Autos (just tighten the ankle strap and the toe strap tightens) and this seasons K2 Cinch CTX (which are awesome) but having seen the PITA Flows were for my kids I won't be trying them soon.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
TotallyBoard, Agree. Bought Flows a few years ago and gave them away after a week. It was either too tight and painful on my feet or too loose and no responsive.
joydivision, Agree too. Normal strap bindings can by done quite quickly once you have some experience. I love my Burton Mission. So comfortable and responsive.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I always liked the look of flow bindings but was talked out of ordering some by people more knowledgeable than me. You don't see many(any?) of the pros riding them and if they were genuinely better then they would be all over the place.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
kat.ryb,

Something can be good without necessarily being suitable for pros..

andybabes,

You say you like the idee of the sleeve..Is it because of this?
Quote:
I have a pair of burton customs and am getting a bit p*ssed off at the toe strap moving all the time.

Maybe your Burtons have toe caps rather than straps? A properly adjusted strap should not move... I don't get on with toe caps but many prefer them..
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm a convert to toe-caps been using them for about 4 years now and won't go back. Surprised you've having problems with movement - with a size 11 boot you'll be in large bindings and shouldn't have any problems in getting the cap snug over the toe. Try taking the binding off and making sure the lugs on the ratchet straps are properly seated in the notches for them on the binding base - maybe thats where the movement is coming from if they've not properly seated.

As for flows, not heard any horror stories since the early days (cables letting go under load and the binding basically popping open) so guess it's just a matter of personal choice.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've ridden Flow Pro II's for a while now and they are pretty good, and perfect if hanging with skiers.

However, at some point when I can be bothered to get around to it I'll be change to a toe-cap style binding to find a bit more performance and gain a bit more adjustment.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My old Cartels had the same issue. They have changed the design and the new ones have a cap/strap effort that stays put. You can probably buy these as a spare and put them on your old bindings. Talking of pros - if one hasn't got a binding sponsor there is a fair chance they are riding Cartels or similar. Ratchet bindings one and all in The Art of Flight for example. Once you start to progress they is no way you'll compromise response and comfort for ease of use.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kruisler,

that is about 50% of it, yes they are toe caps and not straps. I tend to look down at the bindings and notice the toe caps slipping up..
the other 50% is the speed that you can slide into the flows and be ready to board.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Love my Mission with toe caps. I used to get lots of pain from the pressure on top of the foot with tight Flows. It all gone with toe caps.
Saying this I have friends that get on well with Flows and appreciate the convenience.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
andybabes,

I do similar type of riding to yourself and have been using some 07/08 Flow team bindings. They are as light as strap ins due to the aluminium/carbon fibre construction and Flow have recently introduced mini ratchets on the cuff to help with small adjustments to fit and also to remove the problem of getting out of them in deep snow (just release the cuff at one side and lift out - a real hybrid with strap ins)
As far as comfort goes its all down to proper adjustment as with all bindings. My only note of caution would be that if they break whilst you are in resort it can be a bit of a bug sourcing replacement parts. (Many thanks La FABRIK in Les Deux Alpes for saving my ass last week with a quality repair to mine!)
Why don't you get a set of 2nd hand flows off ebay, try them at the local fridge and if you don't get on with them, punt them along again ( they seem to hold value OK)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just switched to Union SL's after seven years with Flows. The Flows were great, but I've outgrown them. Too much heel lift. If you are starting out, they are a good way to go. As you progress, less so.....
ski holidays
Snow Hound wrote:
Once you start to progress they is no way you'll compromise response and comfort for ease of use.

This about sums it up, but I'd say 'compromise response for comfort and ease of use'. Having said that Flows have their place, and some people ride them quite happily forever.

I've had just a couple of hours mountain riding on them, and having always rode straps, found them a bit 'vague'. I kinda like the nip heel and toe straps give the foot, relays more feedback on what I'm trying to do.

JMO.
ski holidays
i use the 08 "the five" with 4 buckles, two on the top straps. what i found is they would unbuckle so you'd go to snap it shut screwing with the tightness i modded them with black zap straps. they're not moving now. i'm not going back to conventional bindings. ps current models only have one buckle on the top outside strap.
latest report
Flow are like Marmite - you love 'em or hate 'em. This used to be the case anyway but nowadays the design of Flow bindings has come on so much (especially for 2013) that many of the models can be used equally well as a strap or step-in bindings. SP are also well worth considering because their entry system really is 'easy in - easy out', plus you get the nice cap strap so thye look like a high end pair of strap bindings with all the functionality of a great step in. Apo bindings are actually made by SP.
latest report
Never took any interest in Flow but Flow rider Austrian Max Zipser got 3rd at Verbier on the FWT.
Flow backed Tailgate Alaska and Mike Basich may be Flow riding in his personal DIY resort.
He is a Interesting story himself.
So maybe some fresh freeride input is being added givern Flow sponsored Tailgate Alaska its quite a big mountain event.

What also is interesting is Max Zipser skiing (not snowboarding) on a Flow splitboard and Flow bindings .
http://flow.com/wordpress/update-with-max-zipser/
Can anyone do that I,m sure I can,t maybe over on the ski forum Flow bindings will become the hot ticket Item ?

A preview site with those new 2013 Flows certainly looked eyecatching but so does Rossi,s new binders and so much else thats new .
And thats not new its every season the wallet is tempted on gear vs ride time.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 3-08-12 16:02; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Flow have MASSIVELY upgraded their bindings for 2013 with loads of new features. Most of the models are now dual function - so can be used as starp bindings or as step ins. You get the best of both worlds's. Personally, if I was choosing a true step-in, I would go for SP because of the very neat way the ankle strap opens up to let you get your foot in and out easily. The Flow bindings do, however, look awesome and the ratchets, straps and everything else have been seriously upgraded.
latest report
paulmc,
Are the 'new' flow bindings available yet?
snow conditions
Will be in stock in September but you can they are on-line to preview and pre-order now. http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/S/Bindings_Size_Large_Extra_Large_XL_Flow_Salomon_Ride_K2_Drake_Buy-(73).aspx?filters=b284
latest report
whoops, that link is broken. Try this: http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/S/Bindings_Size_Large_Extra_Large_XL_Flow_Salomon_Ride_K2_Drake_Buy-(73).aspx?filters=b284
snow report
Ahh, the infernal Flow debate. I but a post up on my blog about Flow bindings a few years back (2007 I think), and it keeps gathering comments years later (49 to date)

http://www.hittingkickers.com/setting-up-flow-bindings/

I haven't used Flow's since I started out. A friend still uses them, and I hear the tech is much improved, but I don't feel the urge to go back there.
latest report
Definitely Marmite - you either love them of hate them but, to be fair to Flow, they have added lots of sugar so the taste is sweet enough to overcome the bad taste some people remember. Newbies may not even understand what the problem could have been, because the advancements have been so big! The trouble is, if you swallowed a whole spoonful of Marmite you may never want to taste it again, even if it said "100% pure honey" on the new jar!
latest report
Marmite: woz hosting some German guys in a hotel recently. They mistook marmite for chocolate spread for their toast. Awesome!

I have some old flow bindings: used for 1 day on the mountain and changed out: too vauge. Last year I ripped my knee out coming off a chairlift with back foot out. Really thinking about flows for me and my daughter this year in France. Just step out, ride the lift, and all clear at the top...
Am I the only one who struggles with lift exit??
ski holidays
The originator is flow then gnu. But with gnu there's a buckle on the upper strap you must unlatch to get you foot out.
snow conditions
I have been using flows for years -- they are the biz -- cant fault them ... quick and easy ..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Tirol 164 wrote:
Never took any interest in Flow but Flow rider Austrian Max Zipser got 3rd at Verbier on the FWT.
Flow backed Tailgate Alaska and Mike Basich may be Flow riding in his personal DIY resort.
So maybe some fresh freeride input is being added givern Flow sponsored Tailgate Alaska its quite a big mountain event.

What also is interesting is Max Zipser skiing (not snowboarding) on a Flow splitboard and Flow bindings .
http://flow.com/wordpress/update-with-max-zipser/
Can anyone do that I,m sure I can,t maybe over on the ski forum Flow bindings will become the hot ticket Item ?

A preview site with those new 2013 Flows certainly looked eyecatching but so does Rossi,s new binders and so much else thats new .
And thats not new its every season the wallet is tempted on gear vs ride time.
. Scotty lago uses flows too.think he got third at the olympics on the pipe almost second think the japanese dude beat him out.
ski holidays
I've got the new GTX series, an upgrade this year from my 3 year old Flows. I love them, and the new GTX series has options to be both a sleeve or a straplock, so when I'm teaching my class I can demonstrate their way, and I still get the comfort and speed from my Flows. They are strong, responsive, and light weight. They look badass too. And I'm always catching first pow over my friends because of how fast I can get into them. If I get stuck in deep, the Flows that I have allow me to strap out like a regular binding.

Get'em. And AASI has a partnership with them. So that's always nice.
snow conditions
After reading everyones answers to your question I thought I could offer some sound advice , I have been boarding for 15 years and have been a fan of flows since the early days , I find them eazy peazy , no messing about and alot more comfy than strap ins , I have had alot of pairs and would recommend a pair of NXT's preferably with only two strap buckles on each foot ( they work better than having four ) don't want to go into too much detail , take my word for it . They come up for auction on the bay now and then , my boots are 8.5 and I use large bindings , as per flow guidlines . If you want something a bit flashy get a pair of NXTse , they are well cool , I have a 2010/2011 pair and they are the dogz !!
Hope this helps , don't hesitate , you'll never use strap in again .
ski holidays
I've given in to Flows since i'm no longer as thin and nimble as i once was, sometimes finding myself struggling to lean over myself at the top of every chairlift, to tighten my straps, and getting knackered in the process.
Bought a pair of NXT AT-SE last September (before the 2013 range launch) which i'll be giving a good try in Les Portes du soleil next week. Will let you know how i get on. (only tried on indoor slopes so far and already much easier when you have to get out of them so often)

Flows 2013 range seems much improved (almost wish i'd waited) as pushing the highback releases the front cushion for easier access into the binding. (N.A.S.T.Y.: New Active Strap Technology)
snow conditions
I saw a guy with Flow binding at the SnoZone the other week. It looks like a very sensible progression in terms of ease of use. But then skiers went for rear-entry for a while and returned to multi-clip, so who knows what really is best Smile
snow conditions
I bought some for myself this year as find the strap-in-out a real pain, my new year hols were an absolute joy, although may have to equip the whole family to get maximum effect, I seem to be spending a lot of time waiting for everyone else to strap in at the top of a run.
I haven't noticed any difference in performance either, although I'm not an expert by any means.
snow report
Just back from a week in Soldeu & found during the week the 'fabric' on my APO Team bindings strap 'cracking up'; they are less than a year old & had about 9 days out + quite a few trips to the Hemel snowdome; seems to me a bit early that this should be happening so am looking at replacing them with either a flow model or SP fastec. Has anyone experience of both who could give me some insight as to which one I should go with ( money not an issue.....after quality + ease of use of mechanism )

Thanks in advance

Mitch
snow report
Tirol 164 wrote:

Yeah I rode with him some last season in heli-accessed terrain. Those guys don't pay for their kit, but that doesn't mean they have no choice.

Deep snow? One washed up pro I know *owns* a heli operation and rides the things.

From my point of view, I use hard boots so I'm going to be waiting for people on these floppy bindings irrespective, but Flows seem to break less and the users can get in/ out faster than the old tie-wrap things.

I'd try a few things out and get what works for you.
ski holidays
philwig,
Is it possible to 'demo' them anywhere in UK ( indoor fridge)/
Mitch
snow report
Bit late to the party, I ran Flows for a couple of seasons AMP pros . . . loved the feel and control when everything slid in easy but way too heavy in the old days. Ended up fitting ratchets where the locks were and that made them better but even heavier! Been on K2 Cynch ever since and apart from keeping the cables sliding nicely in their grooves with a drop of Zardos occasionally they've survived my weight and abuse very well indeed with no fails or problems. New Flows do look an awful lot like K2s
snow conditions
Another vote for K2 Cynch. Flow were always good idea but a bad design. K2's have, as others have said, the best of both worlds with no drawbacks that I can see.
latest report
Probably easier just to learn how to put your foot in while standing up really.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy