Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ex skier

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

link turns on flat greens by twisting the front of the board

GET A LESSON! Laughing
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^^ All sorted on third day ta! wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I think im going to do a boarding beginners course at my local dry slope - and continue with some 1 to 1 ski lessons.

Ultimatly, I just love thrashing it down the piste and then the boarders struggle to keep up, its just this recent trip was a powder fest, and I struggled when I tried to keep up on it.

Im going to try boarding so I can have an opinion, but there is nothing sexier than seeing a skier glide past you looking smooth as silk doing 60mph!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sarny wrote:
...Im going to try boarding so I can have an opinion, but there is nothing sexier than seeing a skier glide past you looking smooth as silk doing 60mph!

Well, other than a boarder passing both of you of course, but you won't be doing that on ballet gear of course.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sarny wrote:

Ultimatly, I just love thrashing it down the piste and then the boarders struggle to keep up,

Surprisingly, I was having an easier time keeping up with skiers and boarders, I might not have been going quite so fast on the board but managed to just keep on going and creep by while the skiers stopped for a rest, weird huh! Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bought some wrist guards today, defo getting serious!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
gatecrasher, We were geared up like Michelin men at the start and now have got rid of the crash pants and knee pads but keeping the wrist guards.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thefatcontroller, Laughing I'm currently scouring this side of the fence... most of the questions I have about new toys have all been asked before so finding lots useful and possibly not so useful err useful info, I see the wristguard thing has been done many times, we borrowed them from the hire shop, didn't have any knee or backside protection and luckily didn't land too much/very hard on those areas, I think a lot of plastic skiing has given me a lot of self preservation on putting hands out in a fall but not going to chance it, the results were more shoulder forearm plants, although they can hurt a bit too "roll not perfected yet". Loads to learn with every post I read, I've kind of confirmed that the boards possibly weren't ideally set up for beginners and not having a stomp pad can lead to some of the interesting dismounts I had, although I found a way around this given a bit more room on exit. Lots of training planned and toys to be acquired over the summer I reckon
Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Unless you're jumping off serious kickers, which tends to be limited to 13-year olds, then you really don't need all the tat they'll try to sell you. I'd stay off serious man-made stuff until you know how it all works. Or longer.

Haven't seen stomp pads in years. It's like falling properly - it you put a few minutes into learning how to do it, then you'll be better off than buying lots of useless stuff. If you find your back foot sliding on the board, and if you think it matters, then use the back binding to steady it.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
philwig wrote:
Unless you're jumping off serious kickers, which tends to be limited to 13-year olds,

Yes I will very likely be doing this.... I'm told I am too old to be doing it on skis but it didn't stop me trying, the man made stuff is all I have locally so I'm going to deploy rule 5!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

link turns on flat greens by twisting the front of the board

GET A LESSON! Laughing

Confused now a little confused.... Just bought a basic boarding book by a guy called Neil McNab basically describing what I'd discovered by steering the board through essentially twisting it using opposing heel toe pressure between the front and back foot, to me it really worked but judging by the response... is it wrong? old school etc....

Thanks.

Knew I could complicate this boarding lark Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Just bought a basic boarding book by a guy called Neil McNab basically describing what I'd discovered by steering the board through essentially twisting it using opposing heel toe pressure between the front and back foot, to me it really worked but judging by the response... is it wrong? old school etc....

sounds OK to me.... maybe Lizzard thought (because you only mentioned the front of the board) you meant the kind of "twisting" that means shoving the front round by waving your arms about and pushing your back leg round, rather than using the shape of the board by foot steering, as described by McNab.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher, steering the board through twisting ("torsional flex"), AKA pedalling, is the basis of sound, modern snowboard technique! If you've figured this out for yourself, you're doing pretty well! Most self-taught people tend to force the board around with hips and shoulders, aided by kicking the back foot.

Any BASI instructor will teach you foot-pedalling from the start.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, Ahh maybe so, all I was thinking about was consciously twisting the front of the board with heel toe pressure and resisting the rear foot following at initiation.

stevomcd, Thanks I am trying to avoid the kicking back foot thing and want to build a proper base before too many bad habits creep in!

Thanks guys for clearing this up, I can move forward with more focus on this now Very Happy
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I've now done 20+ trips in 7 years of boarding, can ride reasonably well ( decent style even on blacks) and some off-piste too, and the one thing I'd advise is to have at least one lesson (private, if possible) on EVERY trip. It keeps bad habits at bay, and keeps developing some sense of style too. Going fast on a board is easy - all you need is balls, and some sense of balance. Riding with style and adjusting turn shape fr different terrain etc takes a bit more.

I've used Neil McNair too (when he was still with Alliance in Tignes), and have also used Alliance Snowboarding after Neil left. I would HIGHLY recommend either for private tuition in Tignes area.
snow report
boardiac, While we were lucky enough to learn from Neil, sadly our place is in Arc 2000 and since we had our initial lesson from Neil we have had 3 private lesson in Les Arcs and all have been awful. Goal for next season is to find a good snow board instructor in Les Arcs.
ski holidays
thefatcontroller, I don't know of anyone in Les Arcs, but Neil teaches in Sainte Foy a lot, you could always pop over....
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy