Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

geneva car hire

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
booked care hired for next week from geneva but forgot to specify winter tyres. now asked to get winter tyres and was told would cost an extra 180 euros + tax. it was 170 to book it for the week with no excess. any tips on how to get round this little wheeze? will be driving to valloire and back but have to pick up girlfriend on the way from some as yet unspecified point.

bert
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd ask for chains.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

it was 170 to book it for the week with no excess

Thats with full protected CDW and no excess? Pretty good. Payed £200odd for a C4 from chambery last week. Who's that from?

As Monkey says, just get chains. cost me 35 euro from the hire co. for the week. Or you get some from a supermarket for less if you could be bothered!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
BertIsfantastic, I agree, get chains. But DO get chains, and make sure you know how to fit them.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
By law, all Swiss cars have to have winter tyres fitted during the winter months, so they should not be charging you for them as an optional extra.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
stephen buck, he might have hired in France. At that price, which is very cheap, probably did.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
stephen buck wrote:
By law, all Swiss cars have to have winter tyres fitted during the winter months, so they should not be charging you for them as an optional extra.

From Geneva airport you can get cars from the French side or the Swiss side, I assume Bertisfantastic is getting it from the French side as

a) he's going to valloire and so has no need of a swiss motorway carnet and
b) the price quoted did not make one breathe in sharply or phone a mortgage broker.....
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
(Admit it pam w, you're stalking me and posting just a second before or after I do in each thread Laughing )

(BTW, are you safely back in the UK now? healing up OK I hope)
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

I assume Bertisfantastic is getting it from the French side

Maybe Bertisnotsofantastic Laughing

Don't pay that shocking price for winter tyre upgrade. Chains are your friend (well cheaper anyway wink ).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyrew, yes, I am back in the UK and healing up well. Not stalking you though. wink Just got plenty of time on my hands....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
pam w, that's what all the stalkers lead with, honest, guv, I weren't near any of 'em
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
stephen buck wrote:

Which law is this? Are you sure?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snoozeboy wrote:
stephen buck wrote:

Which law is this? Are you sure?

Actually I don't think its quite correct as in Germany and Austria, see http://www.blackcircles.com/tyres/winter-tyres/laws-and-legislation which says they are needed some places though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ok, happy to stand corrected - that's just what we were told while living over there a few years back.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
In Switz and France, winter tyres are recommended but not mandatory in the winter months. Cars hired from the swiss side are fitted with winter tyres (and a swiss motorway vignette), but apparently you pay 2x the hire price compared with the French side. Cheaper just to pick up some chains from a service station.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy