Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Easter DIY or last-minute TO?

Poster: A snowHead
Planning an Easter trip with the family to France (as the easiest drive). Looking at about £1500 for travel, appt and passes at the moment.

If I go with ski buddies in January we often just get a last-minute TO HB deal for £250-£280. Do you reckon there's any chance of getting that sort of deal for Easter, starting 30th March? Not that bothered where we go, but it would probably be the normal suspects nearer Geneva.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michael stocking, being fairly early for Easter may mean less availability. The Easter week in my apartment was reserved months ago.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
michael stocking, until last week or so we were fully booked for Easter and had been for a while. Now have some availability, but as Hells Bells, says, with Easter early this year and the snow so good so far this season, we don't expect to have space for long and I imagine others are the same
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
To be honest I think that you'll struggle to get anything last minute for those dates - we've been booked for them for months as I think have the majority of other small catered companies. If you're only keen on travelling those dates I'd get it booked now.

The following week 6/7th April will probably have quite a few last minute deals running as it seems to have sold well so that might be an option to consider . . .
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
michael stocking, Because it's school hols, flights from UK and holidays with British TOs are quite expensive, but I think you'll find a French-owned apartment without too much problem - their season is pretty well finished by Easter.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all. I've found loads of apartments through tourist offices, so I don't think that will be a problem. A friend of mine in a TO says there's a lot of slack in the industry around Easter right now, but maybe not enough to warrant January-style discounts. I think I should just get on and book something. If we missed out I think my kids would kill me.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
michael stocking, there's no need to book a DIY apartment, I'd say - if you want to hang to see whether there are any last minute TO deals. How many of you? Your budget might be a bit ambitious. wink
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Your budget might be a bit ambitious.

Agreed - obviously depends on resort but Les Arcs lift passes for family of 5 close to 900Euros
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My budget for family skiing is always ambitious...

The DIY plan was Eurotunnel then drive to les Gets (say £400 in tolls, diesel, crossing), £600 for an apartment for 5 and £500 for passes based on a Morzine/les Gets pass which is about £120/adult for that week with 10% group discount. If we need to, get an Avoriaz extension. There will be 5 of us (which is why the budget has to be ambitious...).

The killer, as Boris says, is always passes, so that's why this option makes sense.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Getting a late TO deal requires you to be flexible where you stay and accept many of the cheap deals are cheap for a reason so you have to sort the wheat from the chaff. There is bound to be "something". However if you want a bit of certainty and are happy home cooking (given this is a budget trip) then for me DIY (apartment and crossing) booked now is the way to go.

Your budget seems fine to me given that it didn't include lift passes. TBH, I would expect to get an apartment for nearer £500. But then where I tend to ski lift passes would be a bit more.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Your budget seems fine to me given that it didn't include lift passes.

but it did! Les Gets might be a little low for Easter - might be fine, but I wouldn't book it now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
michael stocking, if you're going for a self-catering place, you will probably find privately owned apartments are better equipped than those used by tour ops.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
and often cheaper, and you pay for the apartment, so if you have an apartment which nominally sleeps 7, and there are just 5 of you, there are no "under occupancy" charges. There's often a better choice of good quality apartments if you rent from an individual owner.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, that's what we've done before, book from the owner via the local tourist office. Les Gets is low, but snow's been pretty good so far so I'm expecting a late lunch and then heading home.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Les Gets is low, but snow's been pretty good so far

snow so far is pretty irrelevant, really. This time last year was good, then there was practically no more snow and some v warm weather.
latest report
Quote:

michael stocking, Because it's school hols, flights from UK and holidays with British TOs are quite expensive, but I think you'll find a French-owned apartment without too much problem - their season is pretty well finished by Easter.

pam w, Why does the owner of the apartment make a difference?
snow report
johnE, i guess because a lot of British renters look for a website in english? Just a thought. But also, because many French owners have apartments in places that the average British punter has never heard of. wink
ski holidays
The Alpes Horizon site that I rent my apartment on is available in French and English as are almost all the resort letting agencies. Indeed it may be difficult to know the nationality of the apartment owner until you notice an english toaster in the apartment with a change of plug on it.
latest report
johnE, or when you exchange emails and telephone calls with the owner? Not everybody uses an agent. The French owners in my block don't - and the very nice lady who does keys/handovers speaks not one word of English. Quite a few English people do rent the apartment, but they are mostly fairly self-sufficient types and able to speak enough French.
snow report
Just an update on this. I booked through the les Gets Tourist Office, and, although I couldn't find it publicised anywhere, they did me Portes du Soleil passes for €203 for an adult with children free, and an adult les Gets/Morzine pass for €130. So, for a family of 4, booking your passes online as normal would cost €890. Book with the Tourist Office when you book and apartment, and it's €406. Hope this helps someone.
snow report
Does anyone know if or when Easter in the Dolomites Hotels sell out or become very expensive? TO from Neilson is quite cheap at the moment....
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy