Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski's....looking to buy!

Poster: A snowHead
Decided that Its time to get hold of my first set. Have owned boots for around three years now.

So, I'm probably classed as an intermediate, can get down blues and reds with out to much problem, can get down blacks as and when I feel in the mood for something steep! Have done some mogul runs although I tasted the snow on more then one occasion!

Im not looking to spend a great deal so have been cruising the Bay. Im 5' 10" and 12.5 stone. When hiring Ive generally been given 160's but have noticed that they can get a little twitchy once the speed starts to build.

Ive been looking at Salomon X-wing 5's, 8's and Tornado's; Scott Wind 169's and Rossignol Bandit B1's.

So am I looking at the right type of thing or am I way off? Getting very confused!

Thanks!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Think I'll monitor this post.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Basil, tease.

What kind of skiing do you do/do you want to do?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How tall and heavy are you too?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Height and weight in OP.

Mainly Piste skiing. Not confident enough to venture off anywhere yet!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
For your height and weight I'd probs be looking for something in the 170s to iron out the skipping at speed.

I think what you're looking at sounds about right. If you're sticking to pistes then you might as well go for a piste focused carver with a narrow waist, ~70mm. Plenty of ex rentals on ebay fitting the description if you're OK with demo/rental bindings.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
iiyama, Oh yeah, glad you spotted my deliberate mistake Embarassed

That twitchy feeling may be the skis being too soft too; not many skiers can go too fast for a pair of slalom skis at 165.

Anything from 165 to 175 should fit the bill. If you're not thinking all mountain, then even down to 160 should be ok if it's a decent ski.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Next question then¡
Apart from edges, do ski's wear out? That is to say does a stiff ski become soft with age and use?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
iiyama wrote:
...does stiff become soft with age and use?

As with all things in life; this is true!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
iiyama wrote:
That is to say does a stiff ski become soft with age and use?

Depends what it is made of. Cheapy foam-filled cap skis won't last very long, but I'd expect fancy constructions like DPS Pure skis to remain stiff and springy pretty much forever.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
So how do I know or find out what the construction is?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Saw em in half.

Alternatively, see if you can find out from the manufacturer's own website, or any reviews. If they don't tell you, assume the worst! Folk who build decent skis will usually tell you they do, if only to justify their pricing to you.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fairy snuff.

Ive done a search for everything Ive shortlisted, some don't get hits though and I assume this is because they are to old? Ski's seem to be like mountain bikes. Three years might as well be a millennia !! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Not to hijack the thread but
I am in similar situ re buying 1st skis, I however am more drawn to side of piste and moguls
I usually ride whatever Skiset etc throw at me, am clueless really
Should I opt for used all mountain skis and are they the same as Twin tips or freestyle skis? and should they be longer than 170's
Or will carvers/piste/Alpine skis be better for allround skiing at Intermidiot level?
FYI: 5'10" 11st (72kg'ish) skiing reds 4wks
Cheers
snow report
Hi,

Can I suggest that you try adding the details of the type of ski you are after to www.BeatMyDeal.com. Our suppliers will then battle it out to give you the best deal and hopefully saving you money.

Hopefully, as authorised Snowheads sponsors the admins will not delete this post!
snow report
slightly clunky feel to that site.

Battle it out seems a bit strong.
snow report
This link works, you had an extra "."
http://www.beatmydeal.com/
snow report
Thanks for the link, however its very unlikely they will beat a deal for second hand goods??
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy