Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski repair - tops not base

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

After traveling to Alp D'heuz last week my skis were left with a large gouge out of the top of them (thanks Thomas Cook airlines or Birmingham / Grenoble baggage handlers)

Anyway, whats the best way to repair it, Ive started filling it with PTex which seems to be working but its only sticking to the core and not the surface of the ski so Im a little concerned the PTex may just fall out when I next use them.

Do you think this fix will be ok or should I be using something else for the tops of my skis? The damage is about 2-3 cm wide and right into the core

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Epoxy?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
P-tex wont work very well. Top sheets are usually a sandwich of a combination of things - seperation sheet (fibreglass or carbon fibre or flax even) then a design (cloth or thin acrylic die cuts) and the actual top sheet (usually acrylic). I think it will be difficult to get the original look back but if all you are trying to do is protect the core then I would source some acrylic sheet of the correct size, clear the gouge out to leave a symmetrical shaped hole and use slow, clear drying epoxy to fix a suitably cut piece of your acrylic sheet to fill the hole. If you want, get some coloured sheet to contrast with the existing colours. If you are having trouble sourcing the epoxy, try wet suit repairs on e-bay. Good luck.

May I suggest a padded or hard case ski bag next time?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers guys,

Not bothered about the look atall I just dont want the core to be exposed and liable to more damage.

The bag is quite padded really so it must have taken some whack to do this much damage but next year Im going to bubble wrap them up too.

Thanks again
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
medlington, presumably the bag was damaged as well, or did it occur on the mountain???
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What you need is some Araldite 2011 which is flexible and waterproof or depending on how big the repair is you could try Hardman's Double Bubble Blue epoxy, both are available form the Piste office (formally knows as Jon Ski Tunning) www.jonsskituning.co.uk, look under base tools > repair.

make sure you clean the surfaces and prep it so that the glue/epoxy will take.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How deep is the damage? If is, as you say, "right into the core" then you might want to get them checked in a shop, you may have a problem there... and you'll want to file a claim against the airline and/or with your insurance company.

PTex is fine for bases, and epoxy is fine for sealing cosmetic damage, but if the structure is badly damaged then they might be a write off. I'm not trying to freak you out, they may be OK but I'd get them checked if there's core damage.

If they are repairable then epoxy + cool sticker of your choice would be just fine. Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
medlington, before you freak out you might want to post a photo, good point on the airline, did you report the bag damage to them, worth doing especially if you need to file a claim with your insurers.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
medlington, the one thing I would be worried about with some of the suggestions above is differential flex. Jon knows way more than me about all this so if he chips in, listen to him but I would not think that filling the hole with a flexible or inflexible sealant alone was a great idea. The site around the damage would start to flex differently than the rest of the ski and it would not surprise me if you saw cracks propogating later across the top sheet around the damage site and/or your repair popping loose. One of the reasons why I suggested trimming was to help prevent this. Clean edges are much less likley to start crack propogation as is a patched surface where the flex of the ski is adjusted as much as possible to the existing flex. Even if the core took a shot I would be surprised from what you describe if it was fatal. If there was any degree of deep penetration into the core then it might be different but even then I think it would have to be pretty severe to create a 'write off'. Photo's would be useful. If you take any, place a fifty pence piece in the shot by the damage.

If you have not done it, then insurance is your best bet and prob the easiest solution.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy