Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Shouldn't we be getting on with our own lives by now?

Poster: A snowHead
I was one of the SCGB refugees cast out on the infamous MO day.

I was not there very long, just 2 months or so and yes it was a useful source of information - not all of which is completely lost to us.

Yes I was frustrated and lost for a while, but having never been a member I did not expect the SCGB to carry me on their backs for the rest of my skiing life for free. It was only a message board anyway. I knew I would find a new home for the same information eventually, as my and everyone else’s presence here is a testimony too.

I know the way we were expelled was not very well handled, but what is done is done.

As for the internal ranglings of the SCGB members themselves, I think they are polluting our otherwise tranquil waters. Stop hiding behind my bike shed talking about them and fight it out on your own back yards - if you like.

I don't particularly care how the SCGB council is made up, or where the members fees go - all I want to know is what sort of bindings I should have, what is the accommodation like in Soldeu and what wonderful article DG is going to give me to read next etc.

I think it is time this forum (just the Ski Club of Great Britain bit) was closed for good and we get on with our new lives and personas.

Sure there will always be the occasional thread on what the SCGB has or hasn't done, but to dwell on it as some seem to do is surely unhealthy for this board, as it prevents the SCGB from ever recognising us never mind linking to us and all the SCGB rants seem to be very negative and somewhat confrontational - which I know is only to be expected - compared with the majority of the happy/lighthearted threads on this site.

I didn't mean for this to be quite as confrontational as it turned out by the way.

Rant over.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What a great idea Brian! Time for snowHeads to close itself to Ski Club members...
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Brian. That's fine, except that the Ski Club of GB was founded to be the representative body of British skiers. Many people feel it should therefore be far more inclusive than it is, and should account for more than 3 per cent of British skiers.

Therefore any discussion about the Club's role, services and membership deal is very important, whether it takes place here or on the Club's own site. I'm very keen to keep all avenues of discussion going.

I've had a lot of involvement with the Club over the past quarter century and still find it too cocooned in its own world. If the Snowheads forum can generate some free thinking and fresh ideas for the organisation I'm all for it.

You seem to be proposing that Snowheads takes arbitrary decisions on closing areas of discussion. Not a good idea. Anything our members want to discuss - snow, skiing, boarding, the SCGB, or the state of the nation, or anything else - should have a noticeboard.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
The forum is open to all to discuss what they like, but to single out the SCGB for critisism by having their own SCGB rant forum is not good.

Maybe we should open a Crystals Hollidays rant forum and one for Thompsons as well - just to concentrate the whining!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
since when was it 'your' bikeshed brian?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Why use the word "rant"? Virtually everyone on Snowheads avoids rants, which is why people enjoy being here. The discussion threads on the SCGB are constructive, concentrating on the issues rather than personal gripes.

Have you read them?
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Brian, the SCGB forum is really for constructive comment rather than rant and I think it is developing in that way. snowHeads is a broad church and with the wide range of other things going on the SCGB forum is just a small corner for those concerned with such things.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hear hear!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have read most of the threads - though probably not all

I agree, rant may be a bit too strong and yes the conversations could be described as constructive.

But the point of my own 'rant like' message was that the SCGB should not necessarily be singled out with their own forum. Such discussions could take place on a number of the other forums, without having a big pointy finger with flashing lights at the SCGB. Even to rename the 'Ski Club of Great Britain' forum to a more generic name covering all other clubs and perhaps holiday providers may help relations between possible affiliates (like the SCGB) and ourselves.

I just can't see how the SCGB would ever have anything to do with us as it is now.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I wouldn't worry about that too much. The Club can be big enough to weather a 'storm in a ski cup'.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Brian, I think we can claim to be the premier UK based ski discussion site, and given the background to the creation of this site it is inevitable that much of the discussion about SCGB is happening here - the presence of the forum acknowledges this link. I think it is fair to say that the 'unwritten' site policy is not critical of SCGB. We would be interested in links with SCGB but their current attitude is not to acknowledge our existence in any way. I don't think we are behaving in a way that in any sense prejudgices possible future relations.

(p.s. we're not supposed to call them SCGB any more - 'The Ski Club' is the approved terminology!)
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Brian, snowheads only exists because of the actions of the SCGB. Therefore snowheads inevitably has a 'special relationship' with the Ski Club that it does not have with other clubs and tour operators.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Brian Barrett wrote:
I don't particularly care how the SCGB council is made up, or where the members fees go

I was probably of a similar view prior to MO day, as until MO day (and the days immediately following it) I had no evidence that the Club was doing anything other than attempting to further its aims and objectives and as well as the interestst of UK snowsports. However I now have a very different opinion, as the members of the Ski Club Council have demonstrated that they are not fit for office. Some of us do care about democracy, accountability and openness, and we should have the opportunity to discuss such things here.

If it bores you, don't read it! But I hope instead that you will have some constructive contributions to make.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Remember when you used to visit your Granny and she told you that you were too fat/ too thin, too bald, cut you hair, tuck in your shirt, you shouldn't be smoking etc.

Well this was all constructive criticism as well and was all for your own good. But you would never bring your friends around with you if you knew you were going to get an ear full.

I agree that snowHeads is now likely to be the premier discussion board for skiing in the uk. I just think that it is an opportunity being missed, to reconcile somewhat with The Ski Club (hope that’s better Ian) and attain more members.

As David Goldsmith said only 3% of skiers are in The Ski Club so there is quite a big focus on quite a small percentage of snowHeads users.

Hope that made sense Shocked
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Oh for God's sake! What is wrong with open and free discussion? First, the SCGB close down their forum, muttering darkly about tiny minorities. Now we have this drivel about a "tiny percentage" of users "polluting our otherwise tranquil waters"...

And speaking of minorities: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=808
ski holidays
DavidS wrote:
drivel

Now thats not very nice.
Especially if you are looking for open and free discussion
snow report
Dang. The penny drops. It's a troll, isn't it Brian? And rather a good one, well-timed for when we're all feeling rather scratchy and tired on a Friday afternoon... Confused
latest report
DavidS - Excuse my niavity but are you calling me a troll or are you admitting to your own troll behaviour?

If the latter then get back under your bridge and don't come out until Elvis comes to get you.
snow report
No, I thought you were trolling to get us all going on a otherwise rather slow Friday afternoon...
snow report
HANG ON EVERYONE!

Brian was trying to make a valid point that he's fed up with discussion about The Ski Club on snowheads. Valid because he's entitled to his feelings and opinions. He seems genuinely concerned that snowheads may be dragged down by continuing this "obsession".

Others (some of whom may be members and therefore feel they have a right to discuss their membership on an open forum such as this) wish to continue to discuss these things.

Well, that's the beauty of a forum such this. We have a small (relative to the rest of the forum) area dedicated to discussion of SCGB. Those who want to participate can do so in this area. Those who don't wish to participate need not read postings in this area.

Thus both parties are happy, the forum continues to be popular, the moderators continue to do an excellent job by ensuring SCGB discussions stay within the designated area, and all users are free to discuss what they want (within the realms of social and legal acceptability).

Problem solved, OK?
snow conditions
DavidS, Get out of the bed on the wrong side today?

No - my intention was to set a bit of a debate going for over the weekend and hopefully to get the Ski Club forum changed (not in a troll like way I hasten to add).

If you check my other posts (from my profile) you would see that whilst some may describe me as being an overly serious person at times, I am not the troll / fire starter type.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 26-03-04 16:59; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
masopa, thanks for the defense

I guess I'll have to agree to disagree on the Ski Club forum's existance and get on with my life anyway
latest report
masopa wrote:
Problem solved, OK?

Absolutely... Very Happy
snow report
Brian Barrett wrote:
Remember when you used to visit your Granny and she told you that you were too fat/ too thin, too bald, cut you hair, tuck in your shirt, you shouldn't be smoking etc.

I think you have a strange Granny.
snow conditions
If you don't like this section, then don't read the posts. Simple, really.
ski holidays
I did think there would be others out there with the same opinion as myself, however I don't want to dwell on this and as I seem to be in the minority I'll give up now.

If you don't ask, you'll never know ...
latest report
Brian Barrett, you needn't feel alone as I'm sort of with you.

I looked in here today for the first time in ages because none on my fellow Darksiders have posted anything for ages and I'm searching for something to read! Normally, I wouldn't ever dream of coming here because I also feel the same as you: the SCGB forum was good while it lasted, it was a shame that it ended up the way it did, but as a forum we have something better going on here now and I have no interest in dwelling on it.

Whether the SCGB is a representative organisation is of no interest to me. It doesn't set out to fulfil the same remit as, say, the British Mountaineering Council and I don't see that it provides any benefit for the ski community as a whole. But if others feel the need to talk about SCGB issues, a corner set aside for that purpose at least keeps it out of the other areas.

carry on...
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy