Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Swiss train tickets - heads up

Poster: A snowHead
"Swiss love affair with rail turns sour". Basically, no ticket sales on the train, and plenty to catch you out if the machine isn't working!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-21294241
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Already done here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97389&highlight=

Nothing new tho' they had Revenue Protection Officers on the Zurich Trams since the 1970's
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Boredsurfing, what's new is that they reomoved the facility to buy a ticket on the train...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boredsurfing wrote:
Already done here
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=97389&highlight=

Nothing new tho' they had Revenue Protection Officers on the Zurich Trams since the 1970's

No it wasn't - I was first wink

Do keep up....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The Swiss are nutty about fines. I got fined in Geneva for not parking my car straight in a parking bay... in my company's car park!!!! (The building owner employs Securitarse to patrol the car park and they have police powers to fine rogue parkers). You go to court to protest at your risk and peril as the courts rarely look kindly on the finee (they are a criminal as they've been fined so shouldn't be trusted) and you can end up paying 1000s in costs. They are a country that really makes people feel unwelcome. Gemutlichkeit, schumutlichkeit.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

The Swiss are nutty about fines...They are a country that really makes people feel unwelcome.

sound familiar to anyone?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
When I, in ignorance, omitted to "composter" my ticket on a French train from Nice to La Napoule, many years ago, the ticket collector explained what I should have done - quite pleasantly but firmly - and I didn't forget again till I made the same mistake on an Italian train, with the same result, many years later. I've never been on a Swiss train though I've always fancied the glacier express.

My son travelled from Genoa to Geneva at Christmas and said he was very surprised at the grottiness of Cornavin station, which I think is the main station in Geneva.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Straying off topic I suppose but we once travelled from Saas Fee to Monthey and back by public transport, bus and three trains, one ticket, the buses were timed to depart just after the train got in (not just before, as in UK) it all ran to time and it was clean and warm and there were no Tennent's monkeys or feral gangs of teenagers. An interesting thing was that in the French-speaking part of CH, the train announcements were in French and German, but in the German-speaking part, they were only in German.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I used to regularly get the train at the weekends from the mountains down to Geneva and there were frequently very pissed and noisy teenagers on the train; they weren't drinking Tennent's and I don't suppose you'd have described them as "feral" but they were fairly annoying and sometimes abusive to other passengers - the fact that they could be so in a number of different languages was quite impressive, though, and I suppose that might justify the extortionate boarding school fees wink The train inspector would tell them off but they didn't give a poo-poo; I, on the other hand, was quite scared of the one that admonished me for handing her a CHF bank note that was folded in half ... Shocked
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
sanman wrote:
An interesting thing was that in the French-speaking part of CH, the train announcements were in French and German, but in the German-speaking part, they were only in German.

And English?

Because even though I speak neither German nor French, I somehow managed to get on and off the trains at the correct stations. So I attribute that to them must have announcement in English (The last time I went to Switzerland was only a couple of years ago. )

Yes, I've observed noisy teenagers on the train on occasions. Further more, on a train somewhere in the eastern part of Switzerland, I received a quiet advice from the train conductor that I should watch my belongings very closely because a few of the passengers sitting nearby look suspicious Shocked
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

a few of the passengers sitting nearby look suspicious

probably the kind of dodgy individuals who think nothing of proffering a folded banknote.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Laughing I was thinking exactly that!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, They stopped selling tickets on trains last December, which certainly made things more difficult as you have to be more organised now. You will get checked, so you have to make sure you've got a ticket before you board. But overall train service is very good, better than in any other country I visited or lived in. If you can't make your connection because your incoming train is late for some reason, they will get you a taxi and pay for it too of this is the only way you can get to your destination.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w, The Cornavin is under renovation, so yes, it's pretty grotty and unfortunately will remain such for quite some time...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
very surprised at the grottiness of Cornavin station, which I think is the main station in Geneva.

You could say that about most of Geneva bar the old bit on the hill. This is what Sir Alec Guinness had to say about Geneva looking down from the Saleve in the summer

http://youtube.com/v/dRd_vZT6zPY
latest report
Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy