Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Family Ski trip help.

Poster: A snowHead
I know its a bit soon to be talking about next winters (2014) ski trip but I want to get this sorted sooner rather then later.
Over this weekend I have spent many an hour looking at the usual tour op's trying to find a reasonably priced ski Holiday for the 2 kids (aged 6 and Cool the wife and myself.
Firstly I understand that it isnt going to be cheap so we are looking at going Sat 4th Jan. The average price for a catered holiday in a semi decent hotel or chalet for the 4 of us inc ski school for the kids and passes and cariage for me and the wife comes to £3000.

Can anyone offer any tips , tricks or advice on booking that first family ski holiday where the Kids have never skied before. (i may however take them for a lesson at xscape a couple or three time to give them a taster

Any advice would be appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hmm, pretty much the same scenario I am facing now! Can't offer any advice, except to say that preliminary calls to TOs for the "free" child places (as advertised so loudly on the earlybird brochure) amount to 2 per flight - so have already gone Crying or Very sad - making a £3k hol for Easter suddenly out of reach...

Currently looking at all other (catered) options so will be watching this thread with interest.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We go to Austria for 16 December week each year. Takes a bit of pre Christmas planning with present buying (not my resp fortunately!) but we have had wonderful snow for the last 3 years at that time and the prices are much better than post Christmas. Failing that, we have also self catered to Tignes/Val D'Isere/Meribel booking apartments/chalets privately and then used T4 Nannies. 4 Jan week is not cheap in Europe due to Russian New Year being on 6 Jan. Good luck.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
One more thing. We did a big "ski drive" with our two children this year and it was a huge success. We live near Folkestone so it may not be for everyone. We had quotes for flights of circ £1,000 and shook our heads at the price. Shocked Driving cost £300 (including crossing and diesal) plus we had all the children's toys/extra layers plus our own skis. We have friends who booked the ski train and that was also a good option for early booking. There are definitely ways to ski for less ath £3k, it is just a question of whether you want to take the short cuts... Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

4 Jan week is not cheap in Europe due to Russian New Year being on 6 Jan

depends where. I don't think the Russians are a factor everywhere.

Driving can be cheaper - depends on timing, and whether you can get early cheap flights. It costs a lot more than £300 return, IME. For the cheap early weeks of January, one good solution is to wait and book at very last minute.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you tried Esprit? They can work out pretty good value on the right weeks due to the way the child discounts on those weeks. From memory though for next season the week after you are looking at will work out a bit cheaper. The week before Christmas is cheaper still. If you are considering Easter school hols for next year I found Mark Warner came out with best value for the week beginning 13th April.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No need to go with a TO, you are much better off organising this yourself. I have 4 kids (now 8,6,4,2) and we have never missed a winter! I would suggest:
1. Pick a Swiss resort. Not the cheapest places to be, but generally child-friendly and better quality food/accommodation. We always go to Sass Fee, but we go later in the year (end Feb) as it can be quite cold in Jan. Lots of resorts will have free passes for kids (Sass Fee does). Plenty of other options though!
2. Fly Easyjet into Geneva, with pre-assigned seats the experience is much improved and better than you will get on a charter.
3. Transfer to resort by train - there is a train station in the airport. Get a Swiss Transfer Pass, this will also cover any parts of the journey where you need to use a bus. The transport system is efficient, easy to use and fully integrated (i.e. connection times are planned, buses meet train arrivals etc.) - kids will travel free
4. Get some "Fly Rail" luggage tags (Swiss Travel Centre in London will supply them) - put these on your bags and they will be delivered direct to your resort (depending on when you land this might be the morning after you arrive so take essentials for the first night)
5. Self-Catered in a decent sized apartment is actually better than hotel/chalet with small kids as you have more space, and can suit yourselves with meals. It also means you have somewhere pleasant to be when and if you decide to take a break from skiing.

To be honest I have always managed to both undercut the TO offers and get better quality by doing it myself, all it takes is a wee bit of courage and a lot of research (which is part of the fun!). Happy to help with any further advice.....
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with zikomo, that getting an apartment with the children is a great option,
we did it our first time and I found it to be the least stressfull and most relaxing option.
With small children the option of flexible times, familiar food and just hanging in their own space in pjs works well.
Also choose a resort that offers free child passes.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If you prefer the TO route look for free kids places for Inghams.... http://www.inghams.co.uk/ski-holidays/information/families/#child-discounts
Crystal..... http://www.crystalski.co.uk/family-ski-holidays/kids-go-free/up-to-11-years/

The problem you may have with free child places though is that they're usually for a third person in one room. You have 2 kids so I'm guessing need a room for 4 (relatively rare for TO accommodation) or 2 rooms for 2 which means that each room is occupied as it should be and no discount applied.

Found 2 catered chalets that week in Austria (Kaprun and Schladming) which would come to approx £1,400 for the 4 of you which seems excellent.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
For a first family holiday, Esprit have a lot of advantages on the logisitics front - they are loads of "blue coats" (Snowrangers in Esprit-speak) to help sort the kids in the morning, getting them to and from lessons. This minimises parental stress and maximises parental ski time, which are non-trivial considerations. Plus, with kids the ages they are, one of the larger Esprit set ups offers a good chance of their being "friends" on hand. Our kids really look forward to this, and its not bad for the parents, as with the kids charging around in the early evening, theres' more time for relaxation. Plus, the lessons seem to go better when the kids are skiing with some of their friends each day.

So, there may be intangible benefits from an Esprit type outfit. That said, we went s/c a couple of years ago and had an absolute blast. Freedon from fixed meal times was great, and we passed many hours in fierce combat in the family Cluedo competition!
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another advantage of Esprit is they have quite a number of 2 room suites and interconnecting rooms on offer and you still get the children's discounts while using these, though those rooms do carry a per person per night surcharge.

In addition another reason Mark Warner worked out such good value to the Easter week I booked is they weren't charging a surcharge to have interconnecting rooms.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Renry, definitely go for some lessons in snowdome - just a taster lesson will save you days once there getting used to kit

If you want catered then that, in my experience, is the price. If you are able to consider self-catering you will save a lot. As has been said, kids are happy with usual food etc, but I fully appreciate that is not for everyone and is your holiday to!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Renry...hopefully you'll have got some good feedback.
I am also in a 2014 dilemma in that I am hoping to take my son who is now in 6th form and a friend on a ski jolly, only problem is is that I am tied to the half term holidays in February of 2014.!! Obviously not the best time to go, but becasue of his A levels don't want to take him out of term time.
I've had a look at some of the TO's for half term this year, and the prices are just outrageous, so it looks like its a DIY with own car. Any recommendations for a bit if nightlife for my son of 18 and his mate (wife and I might tag along!!? wink ), plus a good ski area. Due to the implications of snow tyres in South germany/Austria (I have snow chains) I think my area is going to be limited to France...but again open for recommendations. Had a look at the ownersdirect site but as I have never ski'd in France not sure where to go, so anyone any ideas.....?

Other half is intermediate as am I, son snowboarder boarding on intermediate, friend intermediate skiier.. Thanks
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Simon94, you could think about Christmas - cheaper and a lot less crowded
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Renry wrote:
I know its a bit soon to be talking about next winters (2014) ski trip but I want to get this sorted sooner rather then later.
Over this weekend I have spent many an hour looking at the usual tour op's trying to find a reasonably priced ski Holiday for the 2 kids (aged 6 and Cool the wife and myself.
Firstly I understand that it isnt going to be cheap so we are looking at going Sat 4th Jan. The average price for a catered holiday in a semi decent hotel or chalet for the 4 of us inc ski school for the kids and passes and cariage for me and the wife comes to £3000.

Can anyone offer any tips , tricks or advice on booking that first family ski holiday where the Kids have never skied before. (i may however take them for a lesson at xscape a couple or three time to give them a taster

Try these guys: http://www.folgarida.co.uk/ . Been with them twice and would use them again. First time our kids were 9 and 5 and had never skied before. After three mornings in ski-school, and some gentle cruising on the 'Panoramica' (one of those 'frozen-road-type-thingies' that would be a green run in France) with Mum and Dad in the afternoons, they were able to complete the long blue run back to the bottom of the gondola, and loving it. By the end of the week, the eldest was coping with the reds. The second year we were able,as a family, to ski to Marilleva and back on blues and reds ( one of the best feelings in the world) Very Happy. By the way, this is not a reflection of how good I think my kids are, but one of how good I thought the instruction was wink. We stayed in decent 3* hotels with good-sized rooms and great food (it is Italy) with free courtesy mini-bus to and from the gondola each morning and afternoon (even though it was only about 100m the second year). I think the week you're looking at comes in at £3200 next year: the following week is 'only' £2800. You might get something cheaper if you play the waiting game with the bigger outfits, but we found that by going with these guys all the uncertainty was removed.

I know that the 'head honcho', Wayne, posts on this forum. I'd just like to point out that I am not his wife, mother or sock puppet; just a satisfied customer happy to give a 'word of mouth' recommendation. Very Happy
snow report
Simon94 wrote:

I am also in a 2014 dilemma in that I am hoping to take my son who is now in 6th form and a friend on a ski jolly, only problem is is that I am tied to the half term holidays in February of 2014.!! Obviously not the best time to go, but becasue of his A levels don't want to take him out of term time.
I've had a look at some of the TO's for half term this year, and the prices are just outrageous, so it looks like its a DIY with own car. Any recommendations for a bit if nightlife for my son of 18 and his mate (wife and I might tag along!!? wink ), plus a good ski area.

That's a tougher call. pam w's advice looks good to me.
snow report
Take a look at the ski train too - for 2 adults/2 children you're looking at £506 return from London to the French Alps.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
Take a look at the ski train too - for 2 adults/2 children you're looking at £506 return from London to the French Alps.

Two six year old children with no sleep could be very ugly indeed.
ski holidays
If you have two six year olds I would

1) book with esprit - your stress levels will be 95% reduced with travel and childcare issues. The thought of trains ,planes and self catered apts would keep me at home with exhaustion.
2) get them into the snow dome for at half a dozen lessons first.

My girl was nearly 5 when she started and she was on the top of the main slope at xscape on her 5th lesson. they will get used to button/drag lifts and have much more fun when you get to the real slopes.
snow report
1st post on here: agree Esprit are excellent and (relatively) stress free. We have used them several times and would recommend them, but, they aren't the cheapest. Have just done the week you are considering with friends in Les Gets. We did it all independently - Easyjet to Geneva, ski-lifts.com for transfers and found a self-catering chalet via Homeaway.com. The self catering was so reasonable that we paid for someone to deliver evening meals and breakfast to us. It came out considerably cheaper than you have been finding with the tour operators.
latest report
Gaz C wrote:
Renry wrote:

Try these guys: http://www.folgarida.co.uk/ . Been with them twice and would use them again. First time our kids were 9 and 5 and had never skied before. After three mornings in ski-school, and some gentle cruising on the 'Panoramica' (one of those 'frozen-road-type-thingies' that would be a green run in France) with Mum and Dad in the afternoons, they were able to complete the long blue run back to the bottom of the gondola, and loving it. By the end of the week, the eldest was coping with the reds. The second year we were able,as a family, to ski to Marilleva and back on blues and reds ( one of the best feelings in the world) Very Happy. By the way, this is not a reflection of how good I think my kids are, but one of how good I thought the instruction was wink. We stayed in decent 3* hotels with good-sized rooms and great food (it is Italy) with free courtesy mini-bus to and from the gondola each morning and afternoon (even though it was only about 100m the second year). I think the week you're looking at comes in at £3200 next year: the following week is 'only' £2800. You might get something cheaper if you play the waiting game with the bigger outfits, but we found that by going with these guys all the uncertainty was removed.

I know that the 'head honcho', Wayne, posts on this forum. I'd just like to point out that I am not his wife, mother or sock puppet; just a satisfied customer happy to give a 'word of mouth' recommendation. Very Happy

sounds like great advice, we have done trips with crystal [we have three children aged 18-13 now] & have been ski-ing for the last 11 years I think, however we have now moved to arranging our own accommadation, driving & self catering. Last year for the whole family including fuel, two hotel stop overs Cost around 3500Euros all in so not bad considering we used to pay £1000/day/person Sad
snow report
I would also suggest looking at putting something together independently. IMHO TOs such as Esprit come into their own when you need child care (we have used Ski Beat for that reason when the children were younger), but having the independence to eat when you want is a very important factor for us. We found that we were constrained by children's supper and that there was insufficient time between getting the children to bed and us being ready for the chalet meal at 20:00.

We drive, which works well for us and works out considerably cheaper than paying for flights and transfers, but its not for everyone. We have found that if you check out French websites (homelidays.co.uk is good - its a French dominated website), looking at links from the local tourist information websites and the local estate agents, these can be a lot cheaper than the UK holiday sites.

We have just come back from Samoens and it has a fantastic beginner's area (it is separated from any runs back into the resort). The downside is that unless you stay at Samoens 1600, its not ski in/ski out. That's no problem if you have your own transport, but may be more of a pain of you have to catch the ski bus with two tired children.

Rachel
snow conditions
for everyone suggesting going independent/self-catering: what do you do with your little ones (we have two - 3y9m and 1y)?? We'd love s/c but it seems like there is very little option but to go with a TO if you have kids that small and cannot take a granny...
snow report
Quote:

what do you do with your little ones (we have two - 3y9m and 1y)??

Many places have local nurseries/creche or - revolutionary suggestion - you could take it in turns to look after the little one. There were some recent reports on an excellent local creche (was it Samoens?) where the poster's kids had been very happy. An almost 4 year old could be in a ski kindergarten sort of arrangement.
snow report
boardiac wrote:
for everyone suggesting going independent/self-catering: what do you do with your little ones (we have two - 3y9m and 1y)?? We'd love s/c but it seems like there is very little option but to go with a TO if you have kids that small and cannot take a granny...

The two times we did DIY self catering route we went with SIL first and my parents second time.

If you pick your resort carefully then you can get lessons for the 3 yr old, though quite a few don't start them until they are 4. I suppose friends with similar age kids aren an option? (Hasn't been for us for skiing, but did work nicely for a UK holiday last year).

I believe Snownanny's offer private nanny's as well as local Childcare in resorts. I know a guy I work with his kids didn't get on with what was on offer in Les Arcs, but that was a few years ago IIRC.
ski holidays
Thanks Pam. We like to ski/ride together, and I'm more of a snowHead than she is so the "distribution" of ski days may not end up fair (on her) - particularly if I start sulking because it's my turn to look after them and it's a powder day...
ski holidays
michaelbury17 wrote:
Gaz C wrote:
Renry wrote:

sounds like great advice, we have done trips with crystal [we have three children aged 18-13 now] & have been ski-ing for the last 11 years I think, however we have now moved to arranging our own accommadation, driving & self catering. Last year for the whole family including fuel, two hotel stop overs Cost around 3500Euros all in so not bad considering we used to pay £1000/day/person Sad

We went with Crystal this year. We fancied a change of scenery and the kids wanted to tick another country off their list. Smile Got what we thought was a great deal at the Waldrand in Scheffau (still came in at just under £3000 with spends though). We couldn't fault it in any way (except for the return transfer to Salzburg!) Evil or Very Mad ,but we had the benefit of the experience of two previous family trips before we did this one. We had a 5-minute downhill walk to a gentle piste that took us to the lifts, and a 5-minute bus-ride followed by the walk back up the hill to the hotel. Not a problem for my two at 12 and 8 years old, but maybe so for two six-year-old first timers. What I am saying is that these are the things for which it is worth paying a bit of a premium. It wasn't 'ski-in/ski-out' in Folgarida but it was the next best thing. Other posters have suggested a diy/independent job. I'm not sure I'd want to do that even now as a 'three trip veteran' .wink I guess that says as much about me as it does them in the ability to organise myself and rise to the challenge but there you go. Very Happy Hope this helps.
latest report
Quote:

I'm more of a snowHead than she is so the "distribution" of ski days may not end up fair (on her) - particularly if I start sulking because it's my turn to look after them and it's a powder day...

well if you can afford the Esprits of this world, or other paid child care, it's not a problem. Otherwise, maybe she'd swap with you on a powder day. wink
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

what do you do with your little ones (we have two - 3y9m and 1y)??

Many places have local nurseries/creche or - revolutionary suggestion - you could take it in turns to look after the little one. There were some recent reports on an excellent local creche (was it Samoens?) where the poster's kids had been very happy. An almost 4 year old could be in a ski kindergarten sort of arrangement.

In my experience in a smaller ski village, local creches can be quite flexible too. You do not have to commit to a whole week or pay for days you don't end up using, and they will take kids who are a bit younger or older than the stated age bracket. 3 year olds can do the Piou Piou ski/creche combination and the creche will pick up and take kids to and from their ski lessons so parents get a bit longer to ski. If you see a place that you like the look of but it says they only take kids of a certain age or do certain hours etc., it's probably worth a quick phonecall to see if they can be flexible.
snow report
rachelharrisonsmith, ....just sent you a PM about Samoens, as it sounds nice and wonder if you can send me some further info. Thanks Simon
ski holidays
If you are going out 4th Jan it should not be expensive. The week before is the expensive one.
ski holidays
Simon,

I've checked my In box on Snowheads, but can't see anything. Is that where a PM would be? (sorry, I don't use forums very much!)

Rachel
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy