Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tolls

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got one of these?

https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/

Are there any better companies? Only got 12 days to get it sorted!!

Ta
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've got one - can't remember which company. APRR maybe. Couldn't be bothered to shop around, it makes little difference.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
GaryCantley,It may be slightly more expensive that dealing with the French office but as far as I'm aware the cost is marginal. You are also dealing with a UK company.

They work, they save time and have dedicated lanes at the peage. Others may disagree but we have been using them for the last 6 or 7 years and find them useful. Due to the the timeline alone, i believe it's your best option.

It sounds like you will be travelling over the busy\school holiday period. If there is ever a time when these will help, it's then. We had one exception where we could not get to the peage as all the pay as you go drivers had backed up the traffic for miles. Once we could access the Telepeage lane we flew through.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
GaryCantley, loads and loads of threads on this if you use the search function.

We use APRR http://www.telepeagepourtous.fr/fr they are cheaper (last time I looked) and are very quick at sending the badge out, a few days. All in French though and you have to ring up (unless they've changed) to update your card details when you get a new card.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes we have had one for a couple of years now, have used it several times. I think it is excellent and worth every penny. Very easy to see what charges etc you are getting. Never had a problem.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sarah wrote:
http://www.telepeagepourtous.fr/fr

Just had a play with that without finalising the order, it's pretty straightforward. I'm going to get one before our Easter trip. It isn't absolutely necessary then but I'm driving down solo in the summer when it will be extremely helpful.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I've got one from APRR that I ordered about 2 years ago for bi-annual drives through france - arrived quickly, and costs something like €1-2 a month when it's used. When it isn't there's no charge. Even if you only drive there once a year it's worth it for the convenience of not having to rummage around for change, and the fun bit which is the drive through ones Very Happy The APRR tag was one of the few that worked with a UK address and credit card at the time - that may have changed.

You do have to ring up to change your card details as sarah said, but that's easy and they're incredibly helpful and patient with english speakers. You can also communicate via email with them.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks to all.

Got home this afternoon to find Mrs GC had ordered the sanef box.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep got one and works fine

Is possibly around €10 more expensive per year but easy to deal with UK company
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
GaryCantley, yep best buy ever, I drive down by myself and its a god send, plus the other great advantage is that if you look a little indecisive when driving towards the auto toll booths then the french cars flash you, hoot at you and then look really embarrassed as you drive through the toll, best game ever LOL Laughing Laughing
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boris wrote:

+1 we got one in December after many trips without. Went for the UK one too. Feel a little bit more prepared for our first ever half term trip although have managed to avoid both Saturdays Little Angel
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Boris wrote:

+1 we got one in December after many trips without. Went for the UK one too. Feel a little bit more prepared for our first ever half term trip although have managed to avoid both Saturdays

+1 (again). We used it last year for our half term trip and it made for a more relaxed journey, except as call me dave says when going through the lanes where you keep moving. The first time I did that I really struggled to trust the device to work (aka was a bit panicked).

They do really save time, and the more spare time you have in the journey the less stressful it becomes. For a few euros it is a no brainer. Oh, and now some banks are hitting you with large minimum fees for foreign exchange it can work out cheaper.

Also of note is the fact they give you an additional clip to hang the telepeage thingy in a second car.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There was so many GB cars with 'em at Xmas the French don't look surprised anymore Sad
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
AndrewBailey wrote:
+1 (again). We used it last year for our half term trip and it made for a more relaxed journey, except as call me dave says when going through the lanes where you keep moving. The first time I did that I really struggled to trust the device to work (aka was a bit panicked).

The key with those is to do exactly the speed they recommend as soon as you enter the peage, be in second gear and then gun it once the light turns green. If you're still slowing down (or speeding up) when you're going through you'll not have quite the right momentum and you'll lose valuable thumbing your nose at the French time as you blow them all into the weeds on the exit Wink

It gets tactical very quickly when you're really bored on a long drive Wink
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I was entering the really busy one between Chambery and Albertville 2 weeks ago, ready to thumb my nose at any one, but specifically the French Audi driver who had been cms from the back of me a mile back, when my gearbox decided that it preferred to stay in France than return to the UK. I am still wiping the egg off my face !
snow report
Unfortunately many of the non-stop ones are now being removed.

Even more unfortunately I suspect we will be well overheight with roof box so can't use the toll lanes this time! Old car and roofbox was 2.4M and went through the 2M lanes with no issue. I don't think the new one will so will be lorry lane for us.
ski holidays
Quote:

Unfortunately many of the non-stop ones are now being removed.

yes, I thought that too last time I did the drive. Boris, quite a few of the télépéage lanes have no height barrier (the ones between Geneva and Chamonix, for example, IIRC).
snow report
The non stops have been emoved where the staff have to cross the lanes Sad
snow report
pam w, they often do remove barrier during hols to allow for roofboxes etc so fingers crossed

To be fair there is often a lorry Telepeage lane and we use that (as instructed) with the caravan and still saves time at tolls
snow report
There must have been quite a few scrapes with overheight vehicles as the recent newsletter from APRR has a specific article in it along the lines of 'Going Skiing? Got your skis in a roof box? Then use the overheight lanes!' Laughing

Boris, as far as I have noticed there are lots of 't' lanes without a height barrier and the lorry lane has the 't' too so shouldn't make too much difference.
snow conditions
Boredsurfing wrote:
The non stops have been emoved where the staff have to cross the lanes Sad
Ahh, the health and safety brigade strikes again... Hopefully it won't be too widespread. The non-stop lanes at Antibes for example (which are relatively new) have a walkway built over the lanes so there's no need to cross traffic. Noticed they also have a stack of spare barriers by each lane last time so it could just be a localised outbreak of common sense Wink
ski holidays
Thinking of getting one, how long do they take to arrive?
snow conditions
It's ok just checked faqs on their website, should only be a couple of days.
snow conditions
+1 for the sanef device. We used it a couple of weeks ago and it worked perfectly. I think ours arrived the day after we ordered it and was really easy to activate with good English instructions included.

The only part I was a bit concerned about was we didn't have a hatched area on our windscreen to mount the device as recommended but we put it next to the rear view mirror and as other threads have said it all worked well.

It did make it much easier than scrabbling with tickets and coins, it almost became a highlight of our drive waiting for the confirmation beep to sound!
ski holidays
Quote:

it almost became a highlight of our drive waiting for the confirmation beep to sound

SnowMac,
Your journeys sound as fun as ours. We always look forward to a compulsory full air change at every border we cross, ie open all windows and blow the cobwebs out.
snow report
robapplegate, have to take the kicks on those journeys when you can Very Happy
latest report
we've just removed out t box from the car, its been in for about 3 years and in that time i reckon we've been overcharged on about 10 different occasions. we've also been overcharge on credit cards a few times as well. If you try getting the money back its impossible.

cash is king....we only ever pay using cash now.....there's a reason why so many locals dont bother with the boxes Wink
snow conditions
eddiethebus, I've checked all of our bills, and I've never been overcharged in 7 years.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have the APRR one, and it is an absolute godsend, saving me lots of time and faffing around at the toll booths. My credit card did expire after 3 years and so I had to call them to change the details, and although I do speak some French, so long as you know the numbers 0 to 9 in French it shouldn't be too tough. There might be english-speaking operators anyway. I didn't ask.

There are issues with certain windscreens, no problems with my Jaguar or my wife's Honda, but a Vauxhall/Opel Zafira didn't seem to like it and so we had to hang it out of the window
snow report
We have never been overcharged in all the years we have had ours. Now on the second one which is linked to the French credit card. Lent it to the grown up children for their journey down in January as we had left our car at Geneva airport. Easy to see on the bill how much it was so they could pay us. When we used it in my Ibiza in September it wasn't fixed to the windscreen but I just attached it to the back of the thingie that holds the tax disc and it worked from there.
snow report
we were finding that on occasion we were being charged twice for using a toll. We got the money back a couple of times but after that it became too much hassle so didnt bother. Unless you keep logs its hard to know sometimes as you dont get a receipt. I do know of others that have had the same problem, and as on here, others that havent.
ski holidays
eddiethebus, my journeys are all in my online account so it is easy to check.
snow report
Same, I've never been double charged either. We've got 2 APRR tags in the family and I've never seen a single mischarge. That's on short hops and the longer top to bottom drives as well. Perhaps the tag itself was broken?
snow report
SnowMac, I know, anything to keep you going Laughing
latest report
SnowMac wrote:
The only part I was a bit concerned about was we didn't have a hatched area on our windscreen to mount the device as recommended but we put it next to the rear view mirror and as other threads have said it all worked well.

Having just had a look in the Sedona, it seems our windscreen is the same, no hatched area. I was concerned I'd be hanging out the window Smile Never know, I may still get my chance.
snow report
Mine turned up in the post this morning, pretty good as I only ordered it on Tuesday. Going to wade through all the paperwork (which could take some time) but do I need to do anything to activate it before using it for the first time?
snow conditions
If you set up an account with APRR online, you can now change card/payment method online and aso order spare/replacement doofers

and you do not need to do anything to activate it, just drive up and wait for the beep
ski holidays
Timbobaggins, Thanks, I've accessed the account online. It will get a run out at Easter which will please my daughter as I won't need to wake her at tolls now. Summer will be the most useful though as I've a trip planned with just me in the car, I'm getting too old for scrambling over the passenger seat any more. Happy
snow report
Timbobaggins, looks like you can only add a French bank account though and not a credit card number ?
snow report
Hells Bells, Mine has been automatically set up with the card I used to pay for it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy