Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Lots more skis stolen in Val Thorens.

Poster: A snowHead
Just has daughter on the phone in floods of tears. Last light someone went through all the ski lockers in Appts Roche Blanche and stole loads of skis and boards. Daughter says she can't afford another pair at the mo either. Gits. Evil or Very Mad
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
A similar thing in La Plagne earlier this year.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=2183681&highlight=stolen#2183681

Is this bulk theft happening more than in past years?

I've stayed in many places where the locker room access remains open 24/7 and we are then putting a lot of faith in pine cabinets and a 1 euro lock.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would never leave my gear in a locker in alp dhuez they had the super secure pine wardrobe outside of the front door there was no way I would leave my skis in it you may aswell just lie them against the chalet wall outside.As for locker rooms that are unlocked as a thief you would really only need to do a couple of jobs and you could have yourself 15/20k worth of skis to sell .happens every sport though downhill bike racing team vans get emptied ,motorcross races the same gangs come and just raid the places its sad but the low life's will keep doing it if its easy to get at the stuff.sequoiaboard,I really feel for your daughter any theft is rubbish Evil or Very Mad
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sequoiaboard, Sad that's miserable. But if locks were forced her insurance would pay out?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Is there cctv at Roche Blanche?

All the co-props at our block in VT clubbed together to have CCTV installed. Might put people of. But the ski lockers are very vulnerable.

The gangs must be quite brazen as VT never really sleeps and there is always some movement around.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
sequoiaboard, That sucks mate. The one thing I never do is leave my kit in the boot room, too many friends have had kit go walkies, then you've got the joy of dealing with the Gendarmes (if you're in france).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It seems that the contents of 20+ lockers were taken. That is a lot of skis and boards.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
pam w, I would have thought that forced entry would be covered by insurance too. I guess we don't know the details, but if I had kit in a locked locker in an appt. block I would expect it to be covered by insurance if the group or individual locker was forced. Even if it was only protected by a 1Euro lock
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, I like that our ski room automatically locks when the door is shut (and it shuts automatically as well), but everyone should use the key to "double lock" the door - and potential thieves have got to get through the locked front door first. I do still lock my skis up as well though.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I am thinking of covering our locker with ally treadplate and putting in some stronger locks. Not sure how much difference it would make against a determined Eastern European and a crowbar.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I would have thought that forced entry would be covered by insurance too

yes, that's what I meant. Not like leaving them unattended outside a restaurant.

However, if these mass thefts are going to become more common insurance against theft is bound to become a lot more expensive. I don't bother - I only insure against medical expenses and third party claims, on the basis that insurance companies exist to make money and it makes sense to carry the risk yourself for anything you can afford to pay for.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, My skis are more than 4 years old so wouldn't be covered by holiday insurance anyway, but I would expect to be able to claim on either my apartment contents insurance (which I need because I rent it out) or the building communal insurance
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
holidayloverxx, Yes, we noted it was a fairly secure location, but it was bulk storage once you were in so we did always took the precaution of locking our skis up even within the store just to be on the safe side. Insurance company 'were the skis locked?' us, 'hands on heart, yes, the skis were locked'
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
holidayloverxx wrote:
pam w, My skis are more than 4 years old so wouldn't be covered by holiday insurance anyway, but I would expect to be able to claim on either my apartment contents insurance (which I need because I rent it out) or the building communal insurance

What's that? Only new-ish kit is covered by holiday insurance? I didn't realise that, is that usual? Better read our policy as mine are about 4 years old but I would be sorry to lose them.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, I suspect it is like car insurance - they probably cough up what the stolen goods are worth and then expect you to be able to replace like with like - the trouble with something skis that you might have owned from new if you know their history, and it would be practically impossible to replace like for like in exactly the same condition for the cash they would give you. Not only that, but but with a personal item you can never get exactly the same again for the same money, You almost need the equivalent of a cars 'gap' insurance', but that is never going to happen. It's a bit like the person who is happily running a paid for, carefully in 2nd hand car and intending to do so for the next 15 years. They don't want to suddenly have to go out and replace it if it is written off as they won't be able to again the same car for the money they would get for it. Insurance doesn't take account of the worth of the item to the owner.
snow conditions
Megamum, of course, yes it will be just like with cars.
latest report
Ihaven't heard anything locally about it being any different to normal
latest report
sarah wrote:
holidayloverxx wrote:

What's that? Only new-ish kit is covered by holiday insurance? I didn't realise that, is that usual? Better read our policy as mine are about 4 years old but I would be sorry to lose them.

Depends on the policy I suppose, but all of the ones I've taken out reduce the amount you can over a period of about 4 years at which point you get nowt.
snow report
Quote:

Depends on your insurer. Most will apply some kind of value reduction when you claim - i.e. if you bought something for £500 10 years ago, it's probably worth a lot less £500 now...quite possibly nothing, depending on what it is. When I claimed for some lost ski boots a few years back I was pleasantly surprised by how much I got back for them (given they were 6 years old). I'd be reeally surprised if the value of skis was reduced by 100% after 4 years...unless you're using a crappy insurer I'd expect you to get more than 50% back.

There are of course other insurers who will replace kit on a new for old basis, but they're presumably quite pricey (I've never actually looked).
snow report
holidayloverxx wrote:

Depends on the policy I suppose, but all of the ones I've taken out reduce the amount you can over a period of about 4 years at which point you get nowt.

Crappy insurer wink
snow conditions
ChrisWo, not really (but I saw the wink)
ski holidays
Quote:

Insurance doesn't take account of the worth of the item to the owner.

No, indeed. My car's "book value" is very little, but it's worth a lot more to me. I imagine you have to have special insurance to cover rentals, holidayloverxx? I confess to not having read my apartment's contents insurance too carefully - it's the standard provision from britline - but I would assume it would exclude any damage or loss if the place was rented out. We have individual lockable ski lockers in the apartment block but I'd be surprised if there was any cover from the co-pro for items stolen if they were broken-into, because they count (as do the caves) as part of our individual tantiemes.

For the last ten winters I have left a pile of skis and boards, unlocked, on the terrace of my (garden level) apartment. Nothing has been nicked yet - though at the moment the piles of snow outside are so high it wouldn't be possible for anyone to see them.
ski holidays
Checking my policy, it's the top one so should be decent.
latest report
pam w, My insurance is specifically for holiday rentals (£20k cover for contents). Our ski room is communal (although I expect it probably is "store at your own risk" when I think about it), I have a separate cave which is of course my responsibility.
snow report
My insurance says this:

Quote:
How old is the equipment? How much will you get back?
Up to 12 months old 90% of the price you paid
Up to 24 months old 70% of the price you paid
Up to 36 months old 50% of the price you paid
Up to 48 months old 30% of the price you paid
Up to 60 months old 20% of the price you paid
Over 60 months old Nothing

Reasonable I suppose.
ski holidays
At some stage the ski resorts are going to become gated communities - most have only one road into town, to get up that road you have to check in with the guard on the gate, who takes registration number and ID, and CCTV of drivers.It would at least be a decent deterrent, plus easy enough to check in the back of each large van or truck coming down the mountain at night.
snow report
sarah, and I paid £100 for the skis I have out in Austria!
snow report
Quote:

At some stage the ski resorts are going to become gated communities

let's hope not.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sequoiaboard wrote:
Just has daughter on the phone in floods of tears. Last light someone went through all the ski lockers in Appts Roche Blanche and stole loads of skis and boards. Daughter says she can't afford another pair at the mo either. Gits. Evil or Very Mad

That sucks. She's doing a season right? She should be able to get a hook up with one of the local shops, discount, put deposit down (30%ish, sometimes ID too), and pay them off over the rest of the season.
ski holidays
sequoiaboard, gits indeed!
ski holidays
In the American Wild West where owning a horse was a vital way of getting around, they used to string up horse thieves. I don't doubt that many people in ski resorts who have their skis stolen would feel that a similar punishment is appropriate for ski thieves... Evil or Very Mad
snow report
I've just checked Dog Tag - their policy is not new for old, but they don't state what sliding scale is applied to any claim.
snow report
sarah, that';s the problem - getting nothing leaves you out of pocket when you weren't intending on relacing the stolen item any time soon.
snow conditions
It's fair if you have newish kit as you're likely to be able to replace it more or less like for like with what they will pay out. Obviously for those of us with perfectly decent skis 3 years old or more are going to be struggling.

We generally leave ours in the car overnight a lot now as we are often staying in places where we drive to and from the lifts. They wouldn't be covered by insurance but I'd guess are safer than one of these locker rooms.
snow report
Quote:
At some stage the ski resorts are going to become gated communities - most have only one road into town, to get up that road you have to check in with the guard on the gate, who takes registration number and ID, and CCTV of drivers.It would at least be a decent deterrent, plus easy enough to check in the back of each large van or truck coming down the mountain at night.

I know that the demographic of British Alpine skiers is quite similar to the gated communities in the USA designed to keep tutting, ageing, middle-classed, white people at ease with the outside world but Gawd, what a depressing thought. Sad

Just lock up your skis with a couple of pocket cable locks when you're stopping for a refreshment and use a thick bicycle lock for overnight. Simples.
snow report
pam w wrote:
sequoiaboard, Sad that's miserable. But if locks were forced her insurance would pay out?

She didn't get insurance for personal belongings due to the cost. Has full medical insurance etc but it seems that due to abuse (someones nicked my camera/skis/laptop) insurance for season worker's "stuff" has rocketed.

BUT

After a friend's post on Facebook her friends have decided to have a whip round and so hopefully she'll get replacements. Got to love the power of the internet and especially good friends. Very Happy
snow conditions
I thought most lost ski's would be claimed for under your household insurance.
I once damaged a pair of ski's in our garage (dont ask!) and household insurerer paid up quite happily on a new for old basis
snow conditions
Unless you have (i) new for old or (ii) your policy states a sliding scale then the insurer should give you (market - less excess) for a covered loss.

Quote:

use a thick bicycle lock for overnight

the problem then becomes, what do you lock it to? Most ski lockers don't come with ground anchors .....
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

At some stage the ski resorts are going to become gated communities

let's hope not.

+1 . I can't see how Serre Chevalier could become one in any case. Impossible.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy