Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off to Andorra next week, first proper trip, advice please!

Poster: A snowHead
Hello everyone, I'm off to Andorra (Arinsal) next week on a last minute Crystal trip. It will be my first 'proper' ski trip as I've only done a few days twice in Winterberg and Hunau, Germany before now (as my other half is from there originally). I'd appreciate any advice you old wise sages could give us to make the most of our trip!

Level wise, I am definitely a beginner. I've had a few hours private tuition and can do snowplough turns getting the skis parallel at some point half way though the turn most of the time. I'm happy on the Winterberg blues and can get down the steeper hill at Hunau which they class as red. My aim would be to get confident doing parallel turns and to loose the snow plough altogether. The other half is a proficient parallel skier but has not really skied much in the last 10 years so is interested in brushing up her skils a bit.

Specifically I'm after advice about the following.

Ski School

Would you go for group school or individual lessons? The price seems the same for 5x 3 hour groups lessons or 4x 1 hour individual ones. I get the feeling the individual ones would be better as they would give a bit more time to actually enjoy the mountain away from the pressure of learning (plus me and the missus can learn together, being of mixed ability) but are there any advantages to learining in a group (of about 12 according to the lift company site) over 1 to 2 tuition?

Am I right that in Vallnord there is only the lift company ski school and there are no others? I've heard good things about the teaching however if someone particularly recommends a instructor it seems that the booking website allows you to pick your instructor by name!

For the above reason I've not booked tuition with Crystal, is that wise / do I need to reserve before I go or just rock up on the first day and sign up?

Where should I learn? It seems you can learn in Arinsal (which is a short ski bus from our hotel or a 20m walk then a gondola ride), Pal (I think this is out as you need to go up the mountain and take a cablecar to get there) or Arcalis (about a 30m ski bus from our hotel but it seems no need to take a gondola to get to the slopes). I'm erring towards Arcalis as I've read that it's the best hill, has the most snow and is much quieter than Arinsal. Is my logic sound or am I barking up the wrong tree?

Gear

I've not held anything with the tour operator again and was planing to shop around in the village when we arrive as we will be there early afternoon on Sunday. Does anyone particularly recommend any shops?

As a novice but not complete beginner should I get the bog standard ski set or will I find progressing to parallel easier on 'sliver' skis/boots?

Other than that if anyone has any 'top tips' for Andorra (other than any 'you should have gone to the Alps' comments) please let me know!

Many thanks and sorry for the long rambling post!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

For the above reason I've not booked tuition with Crystal, is that wise / do I need to reserve before I go or just rock up on the first day and sign up?

I would have thought private lessons for you both together would be good, but though I don't know anything about Andorra, in France it would certainly be advisable to book your lessons in advance.

There's not a lot of info on Snowheads about Andorra but somebody might be able to come up with some recommendations for instructors. But I get the impression there are lots of good instructors in Andorra, so you might strike lucky at random!

I should think you might do best to get beginner style skis which will be easiest to turn. As for boots, you just want well fitting, comfortable, ones. Stiffer boots won't do you any favours. wink
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Schnee42, try this place
http://www.arinsal.co.uk/
Very helpful will tell you all you need to know. He pops up here every now and then under the name of snowsteve.
3 seasons ago mrs ricfrench finally decided she needed to try skiing, I had already got minime up to speed at Hemel, now SWMBO decided she had to learn. Arinsal was a fantastic place to do that, the terrain isn't too intimidating(TBH even mrs ricfrench would call it flat now) the people are friendly and the après is lively.
The group lessons are great value and the instructors we had were brilliant and would recommend without any problem, but I would book before, via the web site above( no vested interest)
I still keep having a sneaky look on the web cams they a having very good snow this year.
Arinsal did us very well for two holidays to get a seven year old and a 4ty something year old wife used to proper mountain terrain.
The ski area it's self is quite small but it's also linked to Pal which is more spread out but has some really flat, annoying linking pistes. On skis it's not too bad as you will learn how to skate. On a snowboard it's a massive PITA and your best bet is to walk!!. You can also use an area call Arcalais(??spelling??) but it's an early 45 minute bus ride away.
We enjoyed it, usual caveat, it's not everyone's cup of tea.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok - first top tip is to get a Vallnord card - this means you get 10% of lessons, ski pass and everything that you buy in restaurants etc May also get you money off ski hire. Think you can get details on Vallnord website as to how to get card... But pretty certain you just fill in forms and get one from ski pass place (sorry - did this once 4 years ago and job done so don't really remember!!)
As you are just starting out (and given how much snow they have at the mo ie tonnes) I would go to nearest.... This is unlikely to be Arcalis which if you are staying in La Massana will be a good 30 mins bus ride away. It is a bijoux little gem but worth a day trip rather than long trug every day. That being said if you do decide to head there then I can recommend Betty and Miguel as instructors (not sure if Miguel there this year - need to book my lessons for a fortnights time now I think of it!!)
Personally I would just go for entry level skis - have found hire shops in La Massana very decent and good kit.
I have always gone for private lessons (and yes you are right only one ski school)... I have found this by far the best way to make progress. I have gone from a complete beginner 4 Febs ago to expecting to notch up 24 days skiing this season in .... And you don't want to even think about how good my kids are in the same time period. A very large amount of our enthusiasm is down to the expert tuition we have has at Arcalis (well and sweets if you listen to my 8 yr old!!). I would ring them to book you lessons and ask for an English speaking coach - in my experience this is very highly correlated with the best ones!!
Have a fab time - 2 weeks and counting for me!!!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any pass you get will be a Vallnord pass. If you go for ski school, you get a short test on Monday morning and they put you in groups with similar ability. We (family) all learned to ski in Arinsal, then moved on to 3V, Cham, Killington and Aspen. If I was learning again, I would want to do it in Arinsal in a group lesson. I can't really fault it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks very much for all the replies everyone. We're staying in Erts which is half way between Arinsal village and La Massana. It seems there are far more ski busses into Arinsal so I think it's looking like that might be the one to go for.

I've signed up for the Vallnord card and I think we'll get the skis from Arinsal.co.uk

I'm going to add the lift passes on with Crystal I think as they are quite a bit cheaper than from the lift company (I think due to some exchange rate movement). Before I do that is there any big reason why I shouldn't!

Private lessons seem right, Can anyone particularly recommend anyone in Arinsal for being good at English? I think I'll book 4x hours Mon to Thurs then we can always nip over to Arcalis on the weekend still with our (hopefully) new found 'skills'!

Only thing I'm worried about now is that they might have too much snow! It seems 30cm came down last night and lots of the pistes are closed (plus the road into Andorra from France apparently). Fingers crossed it'll dump snow for the next 5 days then clear up! Does anyone know any good weather websites for Arinsal? I can't seem to find anything decent.

Excited!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My guess is if you're in Erts you're at the Palarine? If so, congratulations you'll have a great break. The food and hospitality there are brilliant (particularly if you're a fan of chinese food); up with the best I've had in any hotel. The bus up to Arinsal is really convenient but check the times for the return trip in the Hotel. We were forced to loiter far too long in the bars there Smile

You can get the bus to Arcalis if you want to, but if you're a beginner there'll be enough in Arinsal and Pal to occupy you. Arcalis was by far my favourite place to ski though, but some of the runs might be a bit steep for a beginner. You can also do the 1 day trip to Soldeu with your tour operator which is worth doing if you want to see some different pistes. That was really good value.

If you're not yet paralleling I'd just go for a group lesson, which were very cheap considering the amount of tuition you get. We had a mixed bag of instruction. 2 good, 2 not so good instructors, but overall it's worth taking a punt. Our instructors all spoke really good English, so that may be less of a problem than you think. Unless you can buy cheaper tuition direct, I'd just do it through your TO. There was just the one school IIRC in Arinsal, though obviously there was private tuition available as well.

If you're in to mountain biking pop over the road to the Commencal "factory" (offices) in Erts and stare through the windows Smile . They gave me a guided tour late one night. Really friendly bunch.

Edit; Just to add, learn in Arinsal and then buy a locker at the top of the Gondola. That saves you having to drag your gear around with you. Your TO probably will have their own cage at the top anyway which you can use.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ski pass is a ski pass so buying cheapest way sounds a good option to me!
Afraid worrying about the weather is just part of skiing! They are very used to handling lots of snow and do a good job of it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ask in Poblado if Krusty is there this year. OH wanted to quit after 3 hours and he spent a huge amount of time (in a group lesson) turning her into a confident skiier. I think his first name is Mark, but everyone in Arinsal calls him Krusty/ Uncle Krusty.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks again everyone, Crell, we are at the Palarine yep, it seems no one has a bad word to say about it! Do you happen to remember the name of any of your good instructors? The booking system on the Vallnord site seems to let you pick your instructor and knows what languages they speak, all very clever (if it works!). Cant see anyone by the name of Mark or Krusty unfortunately!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Myself and my son are also out there next week sixth year on the trot love the place.We don`t have lessons any more but did have group lessons and can really reccomend them.If you decide to go for private lessons i can reccomend Andreus, we have had tuition in many resorts and he is the best we have ever used.We always get a locker at the top of the gondola in arinsal costs about 50 euro for the week but saves humping gear all over the place and your boots are nice and warm in the morning.If you get there in time go to arinsal and get your skis sorted out on sunday afternoon if you book them with arinsal.co.uk they use st moritz at the top of the gondola show the liftie your booking and they will let you go up.Arinsal is a great little village the snow looks great this year have a great time if you want to know anything else i will do my best to help.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks Doghead, that sounds perfect. I'm going to book our skis with Arinsal.co.uk and do as you say. I think we will go for the private lessons as we are of mixed ability so otherwise we would have to learn apart. Can't see Andreus in the booking list, it's offering Nacho, Lluis, Carles, Augusto, Zelinda, Carmina, Elisia or Rodrigo as English speaking instructors (for Ski btw). Do any of those names ring a bell to anyone or am I over thinking this and I should just go in to the ski school when we get there and ask for someone who speaks English?
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I have been to Arinsal/Pal a few times and I like it. and agree with the above comments

I found that Vallnord did not post out the 10% off card, this could only be collected in Masanna, which is a PITA

Try and get to Pal and or Arclais (Arclais much quiter pistes).

Unfortunately there are quiet a few out of control skiers in Arinsal, so always check uphill before moving off, and when you stop do so at edge of piste

The on slope food is not great, sometimes we skied to Arinsal Gondala, and got gondola to town, much better food, and most town cafes/restos have wifi

I am just back from Formigal, not far away, and the snow is the best for 5-10 years

While Andorra is duty free, Arinsal not particulary cheap, many buy skis , boots etc in the capital , cant remb its name but near to you by bus

Enjoy Smile
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Schnee42, rodrigo is good. We had him a couple of years ago on higher intermediate groups. Seem to remember he had quite a few requests for privates and couldn't fit them all in.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I learnt to ski in arinsal, it was brilliant.
Most instructors seem to be native english speakers, plenty were aussies.

there is nothing there to challenge me now but i have fond memories.....u will have a great time
latest report
I've skied there as an intermediate and liked it a lot but:

1) don't for god's sake drink the local brandy
2) if you do, make out a will
3) make a will anyway just in case some one slips you a brandy.

I can still taste that stuff over a decade later .....
latest report
Just sat in my xalet having some wine and watching the snow fall in vallnord. The palorine is great, I hope you enjoy Arinsal. If you fancy a beer drop me a line.
snow report
Hi Schnee42... hope you enjoy your holiday in Arinsal! All good advice above - HUGE snowfall at the moment!! As ricfrench says I run Arinsal.co.uk (thanks for the plug Ric!) and just ask if you have any other questions before you head out.

Arinsal is fab for beginners, but definately aim to hit Arcalis at least once, even if it's only right at the end of the week. Although it's amazing for intermediates and advanced skiers there's a 5km green slope as well as some fab cruisy blues.

Enjoy snowHead
latest report
Looking at the weather got me thinking about not getting a locker at the top of the gondola in arinsal.Nearly everything is open in pal today but all of arinsal is closed meaning you cannot get at your skis to ski in pal.Snowsteve does the bus still run between arinsal and pal when the conditions are like this or are we stuffed
latest report
They'll run the bus if they can, but the snow is forecast to get even heavier over the next few days before it lets up next week (maybe Thursday). It's a case of playing each day as it comes.
ski holidays
Hi snowsteve, thanks for your site. It's a great help. We've got our skis booked through you. I just hope we get a chance to use them with all this crazy snowfall you are having. Btw all being well and the lifts being on would the lift people let us up the mountain on the Sunday to go to the St Moritz shop up there (as our lift pass would not have started) or must we use the one in the village if we want to pick up the skis on Sunday?

I was thinking the same thing as Doghead about the lockers, in these condition is it best just to deal with lugging our skis and boots back to Erts every day?
latest report
If the gondola is open you can just show them your hire confirmation and they'll let you on. It looks mad out there at the moment.

I wouldn't bother with a locker until you know what's happening. If Arcalis is open one of the staff in the Palarine did a shuttle bus to Arcalis so you might have that option if Arinsal is closed.
snow report
Thanks Crell, That all sounds great. Forecast seems to be a bit les mental for the next week so fingers crossed! I can't believe I'm worried about there being too much snow!
snow report
Does anyone know if they will divert the Thomson flight to Barcelona if the road to France remains closed or are we in for an even longer transfer to go round the long way from France?
ski holidays
Crystal/Thomson have diverted their flight to Barcelona a few times this season so I would expect they would do it again if they cannot access Andorra via the French border, although you would obviously need to confirm that with Crystal/Thomson.

At the moment the French border has reopened but only to light vehicles with snow chains obligatory.
ski holidays
Hope you get on hols ok Schnee42, .... 7 days time and we hopefully will be happily drinking wine at our friends' house (although yesterday they were confined to barracks due to avalanche risk!!)
ski holidays
Hi all. We're here now. There is so much snow! It's got a little warm however so there is some melting in the town. Our flight in was diverted to BCN however this was handled well by Thomson and the Crystal transfers were fine (if a bit long!). Anyway I think we've had a bit of new snow overnight (but hopefully not enough to close the area again. Can't wait to get up there!
latest report
Oh and I can deffinately recomed arinsal.co.uk for your gear. Miles cheaper than Crystal and the staff in the St Moritz shop at the top of the gondola are all very nice and helpful.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Great to hear Schnee42 - hope you enjoy your holidays and the HUGE amount of snow!! snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy