Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland next week - advice please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello! Advice and maybe meeting up ?

I've never had the Scotland ski experience before, but I happen to be in Scotland for work this coming Wednesday and then I have Thursday and Friday free. So where should I go to get a couple of days skiing ? I'm asking here because the advice on the countless tourist websites make all the Scottish conditions sound like a good day in Tignes, yet all the skiers I know say "forget it, fly to France for a long weekend".

So, Thursday / Friday next week, own transport, own kit, intermediate ability - where should I go go in Scotland ???

I'm going to book accom etc as I go, so just want to head to the best conditions. And if anyone is free let me know as happy to meet up for a ski / beer.

Thankyou in advance for any genuine helpful advice.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd wait until the Tuesday or ideally the Wednesday, then check the forecast and snow reports before deciding where to go (if anywhere) and booking the accommodation.

In best-case scenario of conditions and weather being good everywhere, I'd head either to Glenshee or Glencoe, but that's just my personal preference.

You should be able to get a last-minute booking at one of the Youth Hostels local to whichever ski area you go to, especially as it is mid-week.

Good luck - in the right combination of good snow and good weather, the skiing in Scotland is fantastic!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.winterhighland.info

Follow ze webcams.

My own preferences are usually Glencoe or Cairngorm, but anywhere can be fun in the right conditions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for advice.

Does anyone know at present if any particular ski area is currently doing much better (snow wise) than another? Or equally if one area is far worse than another? All look OK ish on the web cams but peoples blogs are miles apart from epic to ice bomb!

Thanks
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jph123, good advice above, snow conditions are great at the moment but look out for high winds and bad vis by checking updates on Winterhighland, the best place for information on the web.

Today the overheads were great at Cairngorm and every lift was running with great fresh snow on every run, you'll find I think it was similar at all the other ski areas too. Over the course of the season Cairngorm has had the most consistent conditions, a lot of hard work goes into pisting and snowmaking there these days, and has been open since, IIRC early December. Right now there's top to bottom riding and there were around 2000 people on the hill today and little in the way of lift queues because everyone was spread out over the ski area. On a busy day with limited runs the picture can be very different with bad queues building up and a lot of standing around but if things go right, like today, it's not like that.

Like anywhere Scotland is fab on a good day but can be awful on a bad day, it's just that our weather can be a lot more fickle than Alpine weather and the Scottish mountains are much wilder and less predictable despite their relatively low height (one of the reasons many serious mountaineers train here). For sure Scottish skiing is an acquired taste and often doesn't offer the same easy wide pistes that you get in the Alps but IMHO if you are of the right mind set and are a decent skiier/boarder you can have a lot of fun and we sure beat the Alps for apres ski curry and good ales, so what's not to like eh Toofy Grin wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the advice everybody, I'm going to be skiing Scotland Thurs / Fri and I'm very excited about it!
You've all been very helpful so it's down to fingers crossed, check the web cams Wednesday afternoon and start driving. I've had a few weeks in the Alps already this years so I see this is a bonus / unexpected ski, so as long as I can see where I'm going and have snow under my skis it's going to be alright!

If anybody else is around for a ski, then just give me a shout.

Thanks everybody.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Just to whet your appetite, a few pics from Cairngorm today:

Looking over to the Ptarmigan Restaurant from the Bowl:

Looking up the Ciste Fairway:

Ciste Gully:

East wall of The White Lady:

And some really awesome pics, again taken today, of the Nevis Back Corries:

Not too shabby eh! snowHead
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh my god Nevis is looking amazing! Have to interview folk next week so can't get a day off! Sad
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Scomber, innit and I'm stuck at Cairngorm damn it Wink
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm so up for giving Scotland a go now! Great pics, really good. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.winterhighland.info/general/
Plenty of snowfall with the weather starting to moderate by Thursday and improving further on Friday. Should be good wherever you go.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
^ yup, been hooning it down in Aviemore for the last day, goodness knows how much on the hill but looking forward to seeing it as conditions moderate later in the week snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy