Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rocker question

Poster: A snowHead
If a ski has a bit of rocker am I right in thinking you can ski it longer than you might normally? So say 10% tip rocker, you could ski it 10% longer??

OR is the whole point of rocker to make it easier to ski by reducing its length and so by skiing it longer you have removed this benefit?

Thanks again Smile

(there may be more daft questions to follow today Embarassed )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, rocker exists solely to justify the marketing function.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
IME, a rockered ski skis it's length when you're in softer snow. It's on hard-pack and pisted conditions that it skis a little shorter than it's length. If you were to go longer, it might behave okay on piste, but you'd notice the extra length when in softer snow.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^^^ Laughing (at UANN)

sarah, either of your options - depends on your own preferences, really.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, we got you onto Mantra's from SL's.

I guess our next task is to get you over 100mm underfoot.

Then rocker.

Then negative camber Twisted Evil
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
under a new name, maybe Laughing

feef, interesting, thanks.

Arno, thanks.

It's for a junior ski if this makes any difference?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Mosha Marc, I will still be buying a new pair of SLs next year. And possibly some SGs.

I spent a week on Coombacks last winter. But then, that was guaranteed powder.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
under a new name, no one said our mission was easy

wink
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
sarah, what will your lad be using the skis for?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Mosha Marc, difficult. He'll go everywhere on it. Problem I have is that he has a fattish twin tip which is fab in deep/soft/slush but pants really on piste. So I was looking to get him back onto a decent piste performance race oriented ski but it'll have to cope off piste too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
sarah, how about a stiffer fattish twin tip?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Mosha Marc, I don't think the ones he has are that soft. I was thinking of something with a shorter radius, great edge hold, and a bit nippy, hence looking to the race oriented skis.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sarah, if it's racey types of skis you're looking at, they probably won't have a rocker.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Mosha Marc wrote:
sarah, if it's racey types of skis you're looking at, they probably won't have a rocker.

Returning to the marketing talk, they could have 'piste rocker' Wink
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sarah, how old is he?
snow conditions
Sideshow_Bob wrote:
Returning to the marketing talk, they could have 'piste rocker' Wink
Or 'early rise tip', which sounds more like a man problem.
ski holidays
Zero-G, early negative camber can be more of an issue.
latest report
Laughing
snow conditions
Zero-G, Mosha Marc, Laughing

Sideshow_Bob, has it, a couple of them have 'piste rocker' Laughing

under a new name, he's 8, has 12 weeks under his belt, done a bit of race training in the past. He's good.
ski holidays
Puzzled

http://youtube.com/v/1EjMLfa-13w
ski holidays
Most race skis aren't rockered.
ski holidays
If it's a piste oriented ski, any rocker/early rise tip will be very slight and shouldn't influence your choice of length. Basically serious piste skis have none or minimal rocker.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
sarah, rocker exists solely to justify the marketing function.

There's a reason why kayaks, surfboards, yachts, and other things that you want to float/rise over lumpy things (rocks/waves/etc - or cruddy/crusty snow) don't curve down at the front.

Any rocker on a psite ski will be marketing rocker though (ie, not rocker).
ski holidays
clarky999, none of my skis curve down at the front!! (?)

Sarah, ummm, call me old fashioned (and grumpy, curmudgeonly, etc.) (if you don't, someone will be along shortly who will...) all of the 8 year olds I know/knew (some are a little older now) just ski on what they get (and many are in local ski club, etc., skiing gates and powder on the same kit, week in , week out).

I'd go as far as to suggest that junior skis aren't that well differentiated anyway?

[edit] hmmm not convinced by the merits but very impressed by some cunning marketing. Glad I'm not a parent, some of those skis have barely concealed Raleigh Chopper graphics on them...

I am still slightly of the opinion that at 8 y.o. it's a skills not a kit issue (sorry Sarah... Feel free to contradict me!!)

Mind You, my mindset comes partially from having been on a pair of Fischer Red Masters (a huge upgrade from Blue Masters) at 8, wood core, in fact, wood throughout, at least they had metal edges (wooooooohhh!) and !!! Step In Bindings !!! And a very funky fluo green base made of some new fangled p-tex (?) stuff.

No need for any of that nasty silver Toko rub in wax for me!!
snow report
under a new name, no I won't call you all of that, I hear you Laughing

You're right that on the whole junior skis aren't all that well differentiated as far as I can see and I have been looking hard, to be honest it's disappointing but I guess that's the market for kids as I see it; mostly cheap (but actually not) foam cored noodles.

And you're right about the marketing and graphics, most of the kids 'race' skis just have the graphics from the real race stock slapped on a set of the above.

There are a few exceptions.

Yes skills and not kit is a fair argument and I agree and that is why after 12 weeks my lad still goes with an instructor every time. His technique is good, but the supposedly easier fatter twin tips are not doing him any favours in my opinion and so back to a decent piste ski he is going!
latest report
Quote:

clarky999, none of my skis curve down at the front!! (?)

What's that camber doing, if not driving the front of the ski down onto (into) the snow? A long gentle upwards curve up is clearly more effective at providing float than a downcurve with a little flick up at the end.

It's quite clear that it's not just about marketing, whether it suits you/your style/your priorities or not is an entirely different matter, but that's not a reason to persuade others to completely write it off too - especially when at that point the OP hadn't even mentioned what conditions she wanted the skis for!
latest report
Where is pingu when you need him with his rocker demonstration
snow report
clarky999, i would point out that all my skis point up at the end. That is all.

I just feel that rocker is the new bandwagon. I mean, ffs, Atomic even have allegedly on their retail race skis.

Default answer to "do I need rocker?" - no.

...to "do I want rocker?" Maybe. Mostly on piste? No. You probably want lessons and maybe shorter skis. Mostly big lines in Alaska? Maybe. Entirely up to you.

It's not a panacea and it doesn't come with a little bag of added skillz.

Sarah, delighted to hear that your lad has an instructor all/most of the time. Very lucky him. I would suggest that one of the more "race" oriented models, maybe if you can find a slightly wider model would be a pretty good choice? At 8 I wouldn't think floatation would be a big issue. But being able to feel a carve I think would be important.

YMMV Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy