Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tail width

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Please can someone give me a quick explanation about tail width?

Specifically, what is the difference between a ski with a big sidecut i.e. very 'waisted' and one with the same tip and waist dimensions as the first ski but with a narrower tail.

Thank you Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sarah, Probably be others who can do this better but a narrower rear tail is called a pin tail. Makes the turn easier to exit and release than a wider tail, but you don't get so much of a carved turn locked in sensation.

I found a whole thread on it on TGR...if you dare go there......!!

http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/showthread.php/194944-Pintail-Skis-What-differences
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
carroz, thanks! Will have a good read. I dare go there but I daren't post there, I'd be toast Skullie Laughing
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
carroz, I've read it, it's interesting but they seem to be talking about fattish skis and so I don't know if all the same applies to the skis I'm thinking about which are junior piste performance/detuned race type skis. Basically got a few skis under consideration for my son, some are very waisted and some the tail seems a good bit narrower than the others e.g. 20mm difference tip to tail.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
sarah, on most/all skis the tails are narrower than the tips. Off the top of my head I can't think of any that have the same size at each end.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Mosha Marc, thanks, I wasn't meaning I expected them to be the same width tip and tail, more about the differences between those which are more curved compared to those which are narrower in the tail.

Something about the narrower ones being easier to exit the turn, easier to change the radius, bit more versatile perhaps? But then less easy to carve? What else?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sarah, the same principles apply. The pin will be easier to release from the turn as the tail will not hook up so easily. I have a pair of elan apex and some older watea 88, same tip and centre, tails differ by 9mm i think, same length, the elan is the narrower and has a longer GS feel on piste compared to the wateas, they are easier in bumps as well. The 3d shape of the tail will have an effect as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
carroz, thanks for that, appreciated Smile
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was a fad to help turning shape by having wide tail, this made the skier hang on to the turn shape as the tail would not allow quick changes of edge or direction, died with the Walkman.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy