Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off Piste Insurance

Poster: A snowHead
Hello,

I was wondering can anyone give me a heads up on who they are using for their travel insurance. Until now I have used Tag Direct, who gave off piste cover, so long as you were with someone else or had a guide (who surely counts as someone else but I thought it was easier not to point this out.) This year they have changed it to requiring you to ski in a group of three off piste. There are a number of times that I will be skiing with just one other person, so I thought I would see if you have any recommendations.

Thanks

Dublinfella
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
snowcard, if you take the right cover level - read the categories carefully.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks pam w, just had a look and giving them a shout.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
http://www.direct-travel.co.uk/

£14.59 for 6 days' cover - if you untick all the boxes for insuring money and cancellation etc. etc.

(I have otherwise excellent travel insurance provided free by my bank that doesn't cover off piste, so I buy this as a topup.)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
BMC
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
BMC. There have been a few threads scattered around here of late talking about insurers, so a little bit of searching may not go amiss. I think several other companies have been mentioned who offer cheaper but slightly less comprehensive policies that might be more appropriate to you.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Was with DirectTravel but their renewal terms were more expensive and covered less days skiing ..... so have gone to MPI Brokers.
c. £240 for family annual worldwide ... still a lot of money .... but most reasonable/realistic given the cover I wanted for 3 weeks skiing and Off Piste etc
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks again for all the info.

I have had a look at some of the treads but wasn't able to find any recommendations for good off piste. I did look at BMC but with having to become a member + cost it was looking over €240 for me. PBJ, I will give MPI a shout and see what they can do. I had a look at Ski Club too, but they are only 14 days and that will be blown well before the end of this season, let alone accounting for Dec/Jan next season.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks again for all the info.

I have had a look at some of the treads but wasn't able to find any recommendations for good off piste. I did look at BMC but with having to become a member + cost it was looking over €240 for me. PBJ, I will give MPI a shout and see what they can do. I had a look at Ski Club too, but they are only 14 days and that will be blown well before the end of this season, let alone accounting for Dec/Jan next season.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Dublinfella, Austrian Alpine Club for £43 (and a hut/expedition fund donation please) will cover you for mountain activities over most of the world although the levels are a bit low for the States. Then just get cheap travel insurance. Or Tesco do 60day trip cover on their annual trips policy too.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Or Tesco do 60day trip cover on their annual trips policy too.

bet that's not 60 day skiing trips though - and for insurers, any trip where you ski is a ski trip, even if you don't ski most days.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, Not sure on that count... have to look at their winter limits.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MPI brokers seem pretty reasonable. I have been looking into off piste insurance and so far they seem to be one of the best in terms of price and what they offer
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We're with BASI (neither of us BASI members in any way). Looked around last year and decided they were cheaper for what we wanted (think we needed rest of the world cover for Japan).
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hello All,

Thanks for all the info. I have contacted MPI and am waiting on them to get back to me re: Off Piste Ts+Cs. I'll give you a heads up when I get them. Snowcard won't sell to people in Ireland, so they are now ruled out. Will check with BASI as well, thanks ChrisWo.

Scarpa, thanks for the heads up on the AAC option. Will definitely have a look at that as well...although, would prefer if I could just get coverage off one company, as don't want any well it is their reponsibility not ours etc.

Great help though, so thanks

DF
snow report
Dublinfella, MPI's rules for off-piste cover are simple. You are covered with our without a guide, this is from their policy wording

Quote:
Many policies either exclude this or limit skiing ‘off piste’ to be with a guide.
It is our view that this is impractical as one can ski ‘off piste’ unwittingly and in
certain circumstances it is possible to ski on a ‘pisted’ run which is designated ‘off
piste’.
It is due to this type of confusion that we at MPI Brokers have negotiated with
underwriters that there is no such exclusion or limitation in this policy. There is,
however, a general requirement, common to all insurance, to behave in a reasonable
and sensible manner.
snow conditions
Quote:

There is,
however, a general requirement, common to all insurance, to behave in a reasonable
and sensible manner.

which would mean taking all local advice into account, including avalanche warning levels, and not skiing on closed pistes. Like all policies, I guess.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy