Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

how low in boot size can you go?

Poster: A snowHead
I seem to remember being told that where half sizes are offered, often they aren't true half sizes: the outer boot is the same as the next size up and only the inner is different.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
^ not untrue but again something that varies by manufacturer

It's a boot fitters conspiracy I'm tellin ya Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B, Unfortuantely no lightweight here Embarassed But 60 is what the existing boots have on them.

A part of me is saying slurge the cash, but then there is the the prudunt me saying, 'well you've boots that you will probably be happy spending several more holidays in esp. if you never know any better'
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
anarski, 26.0 and 26.5 etc use exactly the same shell, it's only the thickness of the insole that takes out some of the volume that's the difference.

Megamum, I'd say 60 flex was way too soft for you. I'd be looking at a 90 or 100 for you as well as a size smaller
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
9/10 in normal shoes - 26.5 in ski boots ( Size 7?) Took hours getting them fitted. Much time walking round the shop in a variety of brands for 30 minutes each. I need to trim my toenails every 2-3 days or my whole foot starts hurting. Other than that I have been known to be in the pub at 3.00AM with the buckles still done up. (Waits for the abuse for wrecking the boot binding interface surprise......but hey - there was beer involved Happy ))
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Spyderman, that's useful - thank you. It's sounding more and more like a trip to a bootfitter isn't it? That sort of flex is going to require a change in shell range (AFAICS the same range doesn't cover that flex) and therefore beyond a self bought shot at a suitable size. I guess I need to ask two further questions

1) Is 2 weeks too close to a holiday to go shopping and get something fitting well?
2) How many times will I end up my rear end in the first 100 yards with brand new unskied skis and a new set of boots which could be up to 40 flex points higher
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Megamum, totally the wrong thing to do, but the first time I skied my latest boots was on holiday, fortunately I've gained the experience to know exactly when they're "right" and have the knowledge to say precisely what needs doing to them, together with the skills of CEM to give me exactly what I want. What used to take 20 hours and many visits I can now do in less than 2. Working with a boot fitter is the key together with knowing when it feels right. I'm probably one of CEM's most difficult customers, he always says it's impossible to feel what I can feel inside the boots, but I can, really I just can.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
barry wrote:
lynseyf, that should work a treat as long as you buy the same model (or at least brand) in the smaller size. It's amazing how big a difference there is between different manufacturers sizing

Ain't nowt wrong with buying boots online - if you know what works for you and you have some knowledge of fitting

Hopefully! I can't afford new boots, spent €500 at the start of 2012 at what looked to be the best local fitter and after 25 days skiing they are annoyingly big, shop says I can't go smaller, I reckon I can and that it is probably worth a €50 gamble on ebay. With the amount I have spent on boots I could have bought one of these and fitted them myself Smile

http://svst.com/Categories3.aspx?Category=a72fb7dd-627f-4cc6-81a4-9ecf3a4137de
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
My problem is still not knowing How anything is really meant to feel. Take, say a 40 point higher flex. It might sound an odd question, but what difference will I notice when Iski please?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, Skiing a boot that's too soft you get the feeling that you're overpowering the boot, like it's collapsing without transmitting your energy to the ski. When you flex the boot gives, but the Ski doesn't react, so your effort is wasted. As said with your height, weight and ability a 90 - 100 flex rating would better suit you.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, so today can you feel a lot of forward movement in the boot when you flex into a turn? With a stiffer boot that distance the boot cuff travels when flexed is greatly reduced because the forces from the flex are transferred more directly and a lot sooner to the ski, so what you"ll notice is a much quicker and more powerful-feeling turn initiation. BUT, weight aside if you don't notice a big flex movement today before the movement from your action is transferred to the ski, then you may not be ready or need anything stiffer - though I would say most people who have been skiing for a while enjoy a stiffer boot - don't go mad though cos stiff boots can be a bug to get on and off - though for the changes you are looking at this shouldn't be a problem
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum, another thing to note too if you're going down this route is that flex can vary from boot to boot and manufacturer to manufacturer, so again with sizes the numbers are a guide. For example I have a boot which is marked as a 70, I have another boot from the same maufacturer but a different model and newer made with different plastics, it is a 90, there is no difference in flex between the two of them even though the difference is officially 20, if anything the 90s are softer!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I noticed earlier someone mentioned something about getting the boot "blown"...

Now I have flat feet and a subsequently, my feet are pretty wide. I've got a pair of pretty snug Lange ski boots which really pinch on the widest point of my foot after a couple or hours.

Could I have the shell expanded a little in that one hotspot to give my feet more space?

Could the cheapskate in me also possibly use a heat torch and make the modification myself, or would I be best getting it done at my local ski shop?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have you seen a real racers feet after crawling into plug boots for years? A pointer from history of really! tight boots
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoosk wrote:
Sorry to hijack the thread a little, but I noticed earlier someone mentioned something about getting the boot "blown"...

Now I have flat feet and a subsequently, my feet are pretty wide. I've got a pair of pretty snug Lange ski boots which really pinch on the widest point of my foot after a couple or hours.

Could I have the shell expanded a little in that one hotspot to give my feet more space?

Could the cheapskate in me also possibly use a heat torch and make the modification myself, or would I be best getting it done at my local ski shop?

ski shop - you will wreck them with a blow torch/heat gun. Blow dryer would be OK, but you won't get enough heat in to make a difference
latest report
Profeet have some of the best kit, outside Cham
ski holidays
shoosk, I learnt to deform shells with a heat gun, and still do, but it is very easy to melt the plastic - everyone has done it at least once! I would think you will have more trouble finding something to put inside the boot which allows you to push it out gradually.
snow conditions
Spyderman wrote:

Megamum, I'd say 60 flex was way too soft for you. I'd be looking at a 90 or 100 for you as well as a size smaller

Kind of agree with this, and It's also very dependent on how you ski and the fit, most 8 year olds I know are on or above 60 flex, with some 11 year olds on 90 + junior boots, tbh I'm not convinced 90+ on lightweight kids help or hinder (being polite) at the same time I see pretty good adults in 90 flex.

It's not just down to the flex rating, a poor fitting 90 flex could be harder to flex than a good fitting 120 flex.
snow report
Megamum, ps, go see CEM, !

LIFE'S TOO SHORT! eh!
snow report
Megamum, it really is a no brainer, good fitting boots will give you the biggest step change in your skiing short of doing a season. It makes skiing much more fun!
ski holidays
Thanks all. I might leave it to the pros and visit a shop. Any ideas how much they might charge me?
snow report
shoosk, I ask 15€ a boot in general, though depends how nice the client is. That includes any later re-touches though - not 15€ a go!
latest report
Megamum, i'd think that you'd notice if they were too soft. You'd feel yourself overpowering the boot.

While a properly fitting boot is indeed revolutionary, changing just because you think the number is wrong is not (and can be costly).
snow report
under a new name, Damn the cost just a get a new pair, the journey alone to bicester has been known to improve stance and positive outlook.
ski holidays
albinomountainbadger wrote:
shoosk, I ask 15€ a boot in general, though depends how nice the client is. That includes any later re-touches though - not 15€ a go!

Wow, much more reasonable than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be similar in price to getting custom foot beds.

Next stop...ski shop

My upcoming ski holidays are likely to be a lot more comfortable than I had first imagined.
snow conditions
shoosk wrote:

Wow, much more reasonable than I was expecting. I was thinking it would be similar in price to getting custom foot beds.

Next stop...ski shop

My upcoming ski holidays are likely to be a lot more comfortable than I had first imagined.

Well that's how I do it, you might pay a lot more elsewhere!
latest report
shoosk wrote:

Next stop...ski shop

Well that's how I do it, you might pay a lot more elsewhere!

same here, £10-£15 per area, depending on what we are doing, if we are doing multiples i work it on a rate per 30mins

where are you based??
ski holidays
CEM, Previously Méribel but in Morzine now, though admittedly only doing the odd stretch for friends of friends as it's not a service my new employer publicises.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy