Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

UCPA - Booked it, cant wait, any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
thanks to the SNOWHEADS i will be hitting the slopes of Flaine in mid march this year.

i have booked via UCPA as suggested by you guys..

Me & my Gf have never skied b4 and have booked the half time lessons as she has got the super cheap student deal.

looking to go to Hemel Hempstead to get some training in, if any one has been let me know as love to know you think of it.

we are both pretty fit as in early 20's and go to gym 3 times a week..

any tips or advice would be great! we have both bought our ski jacket and trousers and now looking for goggles, thermals etc.. any links to decent websites would be brill.

wanted to know if the snow boots in all the stores are the only thing you can wear at the resort as their not great will walking boots be okay?

Has anyone been late in the season? want to try and get an idea of temp etc..

Cheers

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Thu 31-01-13 17:13; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
now looking for googles..... Puzzled

I assuming you are talking about GOGGLES otherwise your laptop on the slopes better have snow proof protection... Laughing
Someone put Twoseasons sale on this site earlier with an additional 20% off. TKMaxx is always worth a go, along with Ebay.

Walking boots will be fine, the Europeans tend to clear the snow away on a regular basis, not like us Brits!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Simon94, yes Goggles ! Mac spell check all over the place..

ah good because the other half isn't keen on those moon boots Very Happy

well us Brits like to clear from the norm! yeah seen a few online. because I'm going late in season I'm guessing need a high glass factor like a 2-3?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This site gives you good advice on purchasing goggles
http://www.skis.com/Buying-Guide-for-Ski-Goggles/buying-guide-ski-goggles,default,pg.html

.....but at the end of the day, its all dependant on the condtions on the day and how much you are willing to part with your money..
Your decision I am afraid. I have always gone for mid range and try to steer away from goggles on the cheap side. I personnelly find BOLLE a good mid range goggle, but like I said its your decision. Enjoy the skiing,mid March will be fine.. and yes I would recommend Hemel even though I have never been there (too far south for me), I have been to Castleford/Tamworth and MK for my OH who found it beneficial.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Simon94,

yeah seen a few will go for mid range and see!

Hemel seems good but the website shows the stages b4 you can go on main slope (which is fine dont wonna wee wee off the pro's) but doesn't state that if you pick it up can move in just has like 5 levels.. Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
If you have a Decathlon or TK Maxx anywhere near you, they have reasonably priced stuff. I have base layers from Decathlon, kept me toasty warm in -30 deg windchill conditions, no need to pay a fortune!!

BTW, have worn walking boots type footwear loads of the time whilst on ski hols, although I now have some fab Timberland taller snow boots, not cheap, but worth every penny - don't have to be moon boots to keep your feet warm and dry. As Simon94, says, lots of places keep the streets clear, with the exception of Val D'Isere it seems. They like the place to look like a winter wonderland, I believe, so don't clear the pavements, bit tricky when it turns icey!!

Sure you'll have a fab time in Flaine, enjoy.

Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
jocrad,

Thank you, yes i do however the colchester branch is very lack lustre.

The local Go-Outdoors isn't to bad so will get my layers from their! not sure exactly what i need :/ layer wise anyway

i will hunt around for some boots, just good to know that isn't quite a ice rank!

yes we looked at Val D'Isere however Flaine seemed better for us as the hotel is the best UCPA offer..

bring on the skiing!

snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I second the Decathlon suggestion. I've just bought their basic base layer tops for £4.99 and they're really warm. Also have some Merino wool socks reduced to £5.99 at the moment.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Walking boots are fine, worth getting the rubber grips with metal studs that pull over your boot soles for walking on icy pavements, saw some in poundworld last week for (you guessed it) a £, sport direct had some for about £5 in their sale too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Yes, walking boots are ideal - then all you need to take, in addition, is some light trainers or even slippers for indoor wear.

Hemel is very good but if you are complete beginners you must have lessons - and it's not cheap. If you are on a tight budget, you could just start at UCPA in flaine, assuming you are booked in there as beginners. I'm sure you'll have a great time - and being with an instructor will give you priority in lift queues. snowHead

Be sure to tell us how it goes, won't you? snowHead
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lilywhite, hahah yeah thank you i will look at my local "pound land"

glad you guys think walking boots will be okay, may risk my trainers which are boot like with good grip i will see..

i know everyone deals with the white stuff better than us brits!

you recommend getting a helmet ?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w, yeah seems to be could spend a whole lesson just learning to put your ski's on!

may go to my local dry slope as Hemel is 2 hours away.. and seems to be so much for the intensive course.

like you said may be worth waiting till Flaine as you can't get better than the real thing !

Can anyone recommend a decent camera to record our week...

so you can all chuckle at our attempts to ski!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Haven't worn snow boots since my first ski trip, take up unnecessary space for limited use. A good pair of trainers are just as good.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
enfilade, Thank you i think i will risk Embarassed by falling over after a few beers and be in trainers then the horrible snow boots lol

Has anyone been to Flaine this season ?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I find trainers lethal in snow and ice, personally, and would always use walking boots. I haven't worn moonboots for years - apart from anything else they are impossible to drive in.
snow conditions
pam w, i have a old pair of walking boots so mite as well throw them in the mix (as im going by coach don't have to worry about weights)

can anyone point me towards a thread for what to take i.e rough idea of how many layers etc?
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy