Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Will a service help my skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I recently purchased some skis online. They were second hand on ebay because it is my first pair and I wanted to see how I got on with them. The seller apparently sells lots of skis online and say that they include a standard service and wax. The bases looked in good nick when I got them, but I tried them tonight in Milton Keynes.......OMG! I have skied about 12 weeks in total so know how skiing feels on different skis (as I have always hired before) but they were terrible. I found myself with no control, no speed and seriously unimpressed. Having read another thread about how someone had had their wifes skis serviced and nothing helped and it sounded a similar issue to me. So I am just wondering if I am throwing good money after bad?

Intrestingly when I leant back I went much faster, but still not fast. Is this due to the poor service that they were given?

Can someone help?

Thanks

Colt
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
No harm in getting them serviced. Depending on the wax used, I've found it can be horrendously slow sometimes. Also, unless the edges are in good nick, the base in the snozone is icy enough that it can be a bit difficult.

Get them serviced and edged, at least you know it's done properly then

When you next going up there? I'm planning to go up on Friday evening, if you'r around I could give them a quick look over and see if there's anything obviously wrong with them
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
feef, I wonder if they are lacking in base structure, perhaps they haven't been properly brushed out?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Could just be that they've not even been scraped properly, I've seen that before with skis for sale. They leave the bases unscraped for storage and shipping.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef wrote:
No harm in getting them serviced. Depending on the wax used, I've found it can be horrendously slow sometimes. Also, unless the edges are in good nick, the base in the snozone is icy enough that it can be a bit difficult.

When you next going up there? I'm planning to go up on Friday evening, if you'r around I could give them a quick look over and see if there's anything obviously wrong with them
Thanks feef. I wish I could go this Friday but I can't get there. Thank you though as it is a very kind offer. Smile
I really just can't work it out. The skis looked/felt like they had sharp edges already. Well, compared to some rubbish hire skis I have had. I actually found it easier on the icey stuff rather than the thicker snow. This is what makes me think they were serviced/waxed poorly last time. They look like they have no structure and you can actually see wax on them. Is that normal?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Coltnet wrote:
feef wrote:

Thanks feef. I wish I could go this Friday but I can't get there. Thank you though as it is a very kind offer. Smile
I really just can't work it out. The skis looked/felt like they had sharp edges already. Well, compared to some rubbish hire skis I have had. I actually found it easier on the icey stuff rather than the thicker snow. This is what makes me think they were serviced/waxed poorly last time. They look like they have no structure and you can actually see wax on them. Is that normal?

If you can see wax in that there's an obvious visible coating, then no.. it sounds like they've not had the wax scraped.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
feef/Megamum, would that simply cause this shocking speed and handling? I have never had skis to service before. Would this get them back in good order?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
feef, the wax I can see is mainly on the tips which is why I thought it might not have been that. I'm trying to exhaust all avenues before spending cash, as I don't have much spare. I need this sorting though as I go away next week and wanted to take them with me rather than hire.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
unless there's something seriously wrong with the actual structure of the ski, then I would expect a service from a competent tech would get them going fine. And yes, it can cause horrendous performance/handling issues if it's done badly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks feef. Invaluable info for a tech novice like me!
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Coltnet, What skis are they, length etc vs your height and all that.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Also, do you use Milton Keynes much?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gatecrasher, my height is about 178 (5'10" approx), weight 89kg and the skis are Movement El Loco Twin Tips ( I started pratting about on jumps a while back and liked it, even though i'm rubbish! Ha ha. Also not been to Milton Keynes much at all to be honest. I have organised my schools ski trips and take the kids for lessons there prior to us going. Like tonight! To be honest the skis really spoilt my time tonight and I did about 4 runs in total.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coltnet, you have a PM
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
AFAIU the structure in a ski prevents the base from 'too smooth'. The minute gaps that the structure creates allow the snow to melt and then release from the layer of water that they run on. Without structure the bases literally stick by surface tension to the snow and are slowed down. Or at least that's what I think happens or I could have been on a large dose of happy stuff and might be talking out of my head Laughing . Coltnet, What you really need is for Spyderjon to see this thread - he is the ski service guru around here. You could try sending him a PM.
snow conditions
Thanks Megamum, I thought might be the case. Mine look completely flat/smooth compared to new skis I saw in Ellis B tonight. I will try Spyderjon too, as long as he won't mind Smile
snow conditions
Coltnet, ok, how long are the skis.
snow conditions
Gatecrasher....oh yeah forgot the most important part. They are 170. I skied a 172 in Val at Christmas so thought they'd be ok?
snow report
Coltnet, I am just thinking it could be a combination of skis too short, not much experience of dome snow especially the "evening version" also being twintips they could be center mounted...combined with being too short, you are leaning back to feel in balance.

Just a theory.
snow report
I find a service helps me ski. wink

Well it relaxes my legs oooooeeeeer
latest report
Gatecrasher, I get you. I have been on 175 carvers recently and thought I should step down in size due to control for jumps etc? I hear what you are saying though. The bindings came with the skis so I assumed they were in the correct position (of which there is a few I believe?????Maybe???) Maybe not.
snow report
Coltnet, did they stay the same, get better, or get worse the longer you skied on them in the fridge??
snow report
Kitenski, to be fair I did 4 runs. Yep 4! Due to me being so disappointed in what I was using. So to be honest I didn't notice them change. At times they did go faster (faster/not fast) but that was when I was on the less thick snow etc. Thats why I put it just down to my base condition etc rather than length. I'm thinking now it could be both though?
ski holidays
Coltnet, The 170 twin tips will ski quite a bit shorter than a 170 carver, probably like 160 or less.

A lot of twin tips are center mounted, which would be correct for park skiing etc, but not the best feeling for piste etc. Skiing short. They can also be mounted further back for all mountain skiing. Best to just get all that checked out first.
latest report
Thanks gatecrasher. I think I will get them checked. I didn't know that was how it changed depending on the ski. At Christmas my mate was on 165-8 (somewhere lik that) twins and he his my size, although i'm a few pounds heavier wink Therefore I thought they would be fine.
ski holidays
Coltnet, just a few ideas of things that could cause this, including possible dodgy bases? But as said dome snow can feel nothing like real snow at times, especially in the evenings, when mk tends to be "sugar and ice" stop start stuff!
snow report
Coltnet, I didn't want to sway your answer by my reasoning, but my thoughts were if the wax wasn't scraped off they would improve over each run. It's a tricky one, could be lots of things, as gatecrasher, says it could be the binding mounting, it could be the edge tune, it could be the wax.

Can you get them over to Nottingham, Jon will give you an honest opinion and fix if it's edges/base/wax http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/
snow report
Kitenski, to be honest i'm not sure I can get there in time before I go to Austria next week. Its not too far its just I have little time now. I can try Lockwoods which is 10 minutes from me assuming they can take a look in time. I believe they are good too.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Coltnet, bug!! can you get some pics of the base and the edges posted on here??
ski holidays
I seriously doubt it! I am a complete fool when it comes to technology and would not know where to start tbh. I think they are in a mess now from what people have said on here. No stucture showing from what I can see!
ski holidays
Coltnet, don't panic, you cannot 'see' base structure.

1. Can you take pictures and upload them either to somewhere like flickr, or the snowheads upload site http://snowmediazone.com/the_zone
latest report
I'll give it a try but don't hold your breath! That link doesn't work at the moment. I shall try and learn though. Thanks kitenski
ski holidays
Coltnet, can you upload to flickr?

http://www.flickr.com/

then all you need to do is

http://www.flickr.com/help/sharing/#17025585
snow report
Coltnet wrote:
Kitenski, to be honest i'm not sure I can get there in time before I go to Austria next week. Its not too far its just I have little time now. I can try Lockwoods which is 10 minutes from me assuming they can take a look in time. I believe they are good too.

Lockwoods are good, my parents live just 'round the corner from them. Well, they're knowledgeable at least, seem to carry poor (and overpriced) stock these days, but the staff know their stuff.
ski holidays
If you have facebook you can share the picture from there - upload it, right click and copy image address, post it here in between the tags: [img] [/img] (without the spaces.

170 is pretty short for a twin, especially at your size and weight.
latest report
Coltnet, I really wouldn't worry too much. I have not been to Milton Keynes for awhile but the last time I was at Castleford the snow could best be described as sticky custard. It was very slow and sticky in patches.

Or it could be that the skis were not scraped after the seller waxed them. Using the edge of an old credit card can you scrape any wax off the base?
snow report
Thanks for all your help guys. Getting booked into Lockwoods to get it sorted tomorrow.

Cheers

Colt
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy