Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice Please!!.....Ischgl

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We have friends going to Ischgl for the same week that we are looking to book a ski holiday, w/c 9th March. Reluctant to pay over £1k each for a week we were considering staying in Galtur and meeting up with them in the day for skiing (which doesn't look too difficult) and then trying to get to Ischgl for drinks with them in the evening (looks a little more tricky). Not knowing the area at all is this really not a good idea, do we forget and go somewhere completely different or is it worth trying to hook up with our friends? Would appreciate any help guys Very Happy
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There're lots of newish build Hotel Garnis (B&Bs) on the outskirts of the town centre; less than 10 mins walk to get in to the lifts / centre. We stayed at one opposite the BP station on the main road, near to the car park. If I recall it was about €60 per night which included use of the sauna / steam room. All your ski kit goes in a locker at the lifts.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
A few weeks ago, the taxi was €19 before 2000 and €21 after 20.00 from the billa supermarket to Galtur one way and the last bus was 20.00 iirc.

Depends on what time you are going out drinking till but the après is rocking from 16.00 onwards ! That's a lot of drinking till 20.00 Laughing
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The deal is Galtur is almost at the end of the valley that is closed in the winter (like the road beyond Val D of France). Ischgl is 6 miles away from it. Anything in between is deserted.

I am not sure of its bus service in the evening but I doubt there is one reasonably regular after the normal skiing hours. So the drinking in Ischgl should have the taxi in mind for going back. May be other SHs have more knowledge of the bus. I know for sure one can catch one early in the evening from Mathon even though I never used it. The Ischgl site does have information for buses travelling from Landeck to Galtur. You will see the last bus passes Ischgl at about 20:00 and terminates at Galtur at 20:30. There is nothing after that.

Ischgl is at least two leagues away from Galtur. The former has 235km piste, is internationally renowned for its abundance of 4 to 5 star hotels and its mountain top is regularly/annually being used as a major concert venue near the end of the season. It is also one of the rare resort linked to another country which in this case is Samnaun of Switzerland a place many skiers would go for "shopping"!

Galtur is much more modest with 40km piste. The only news I heard from the TV was it had some major historical avalanches and the place was once used for studying how a building could be built to survive an avalanche.

Don't get me wrong both places are great for skiing but Ischgl is more as an alternative to St Anton/Lech. You can still ski Ischgl by staying at Galtur but Mathon is 3 miles nearer and does not have skiing facilities of its own.

See and Kappl are two other resorts in the same valley covered by the same Silvetta ski pass which you will need to ski Ischgl from Galtur.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy