Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Trip Review - 'The Whiteroom' Backcountry Snowboarding Week, St Foy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm of the 2-plank persuasion, however, I was after a week that was suitable for boarders for the sake of the mate I was going with (who was on his last-trip-before-kids). Having been on a superb week with Stevo (stevomcd) and Iona at the The White Room in St Foy for mountainbiking a couple of years ago, I was more more than keen to book onto their Backcountry Snowboarding trip last week. Although aimed at boarders, they were perfectly happy to have the odd skier along, providing we understood that any tuition would be aimed squarely at the boarders.

The price of the trip included transfer to and from Bourg St Maurice, 2 meals/day, 5 days of guiding and unlimited wine, beer and soft drinks…Very Happy A running theme of The White Room is a friendly, relaxed atmosphere, a quality well-equipped chalet and excellent food cooked by excellent hosts (Tom and Lucy).

Day 1 was unguided as a warm up with a couple of hours of transceiver theory and practice after lunch. During the evening of day 1, Stevo (who, together with Iona, has the International Mountain Leader qualification) gave a very informed summary of avalanche safety for an hour or so.

Days 2 – 6 we split into 2 groups, each being guided by local ski instructors, with a bit of ad-hoc tuition thrown in for the boarders. Our group was led by Neil McNair; who was a reputable, enthusiastic and knowledgeable BASI Snowboard Instructor Trainer. Stevo joined us and brought up the rear. Between them, their local knowledge found us excellent, untracked snow each day…even in Tignes…3 days after a snowfall.

The skiing/boarding was a mixture of lift-served, 30 min – 1 hr boot packs and a day when we did a 3 hr splitboard/ski tour. Strategically placed minibuses and land rovers enabled us to do some interesting local tours that didn’t end at resort.

Some of the more notable descents we covered throughout the week included the Col d’Argentiere, North Face of the Foglietta, Col de Granier, Le Petit Col and one of ‘The Fingers’ in Tignes for our last run of the week. Thanks to the snow earlier in the week, most of these descents were plastered in untracked, knee deep powder.

All in all, an excellent trip to an area with fantastic terrain, very few people and very knowledgeable, friendly hosts. I’d thoroughly recommend them to anyone who’s looking for an MTB holiday in the summer or a decent backcountry trip in the winter snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sounds great. Fingers always a good one...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
... as is the Foglietta

any pics?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Arno, the white room FB has about 100 up.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151189519016899.443513.16428646898&type=1&l=783cef3c71

Only shots of the last 2 days as I persistently failed to charge my camera battery...

We really had some of the best conditions I've seen in a long time. Full-on, snow-up-your-nose-can't-see face shots all the way down the Fogliettaz.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Arno, plenty of pics - I'll see if I can upload to best to here. Some rather epic GoPro footage too snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Excellent.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy