Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Has snowboarding lost its mojo?

Poster: A snowHead
Whilst a loving joshing and having a dig at boarders I'm intelligent enough to know I am being stereotypical. Sure there is an element of truth in it but for the most part they are just out to enjoy themselves and the sport the same as me.

One thing is undeniable to me, is that they gave the sport of skiing a new lease of life and I doubt I'd be having as much fun today if it wasn't for snowboarding. So I am grateful for the young dudes for that.

I have been asked a number of times if I was going to try snowboarding or why I hadn't tried snowboarding. My answer is that I am having too much fun skiing and am still learning. The prospect of starting to learn something from scratch would have more appeal if I thought it would give me the opportunity to do something different I may think it worth it. But I don't see it.

I like off piste skiing and whilst I acknowledge there may have been times, maybe still is, where it was easier to do on a board or better in crud et al but I have a real desire to be able to ski the whole mountain on ski's. Just my 2p worth.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I just bought myself a ski jacket to board in, got fed up of the stupid long baggy boarding jacket, it was a real pain to walk in.

I'm not cool, though, just took up boarding because that's what the kids wanted to learn. I'd quite like to be able to ski as well so maybe one day I'll give it a try, don't fancy being a learner all over again though.

It looks to me like skiing's more practical, boarding's more fun....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Layne, my thinking goes the same way, on all counts.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've just started learning to board, mainly because my kids are getting to the age where they will want to learn. I started them on skis as it seemed sensible for them to learn both disciplines. I'm going away with two of them soon on our own, no wife or other group so my chances of heading off on my own with a guide are zero. I don't feel much like piste skiing every day for a week so may as way try something new.

I don't understand the people who think snowboarders make the mountains look messy. In my opinion all the concrete, lifts and other junk already do that. If you want uncluttered mountains there are millions of acres of them, you just have to tear yourselves away from the groomers and hot chocolate vendors.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
vickitav,
Quote:
It looks to me like skiing's more practical, boarding's more fun....

I think when boarding came out that was what it was all about. A lot of young people, dare I say urban, who really opened things up "fun" wise. And the skiers "kit" and attitude was no match at the time. I think things are closer now. There are definitely a few practical benefits to skiing but a lot of it is minor stuff I would say. But then a boarder would be better to comment on that.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I don't subscribe to this idea that because snowboarders are now spawning little groms, it's no longer cool to do what your dad does. If that's the case, why do people take up skiing - surely Dads do that too?...

Jonny Jones wrote:
...To(sic) many boarders think that they can avoid the mogul fields and allow other people to do the hard work of turning the mountain into a decent playground.

I love them. Aside from the challenge they present, when I can't be arsed with them, I just bulldoze my way through them on a heel edge and give the pictures less work to do later Wink
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
sanman wrote:
there is a sub-set, which IME consists mostly but not entirely of girls, who are more interested in 'being a snowboarder' than in actually doing any snowboarding.

Ouch! But so true... Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowboarding is in decline, but then so is skiing.

I'd much preffer to see fewer newbies taking up snowboarding, as already mentioned they do ruin pistes, they take far to much snow with them when side slipping a piste.

anyone that thinks there's no new snowboarding tricks being landed or invented is very wrong though, torstein landed the first switch tripple cork in a comp at the x games just last week and scott stevens seems to invent something new every single time he straps on a board.

traditionally kids took to snowboarding to be cool, no doubt, now, they dont have to make the switch from ski's to boards as skiing is also cool. Nothing to do with the fact that snowboardinig is no longer cool, its just easier to stick with skiis. That said, skiing in a park will never have the fluidity and grace as snowboarding, there's just to much going on with all the sticks from hands and feet flailing around to make it look graceful!

oh...and people do take & pay for skateboarding lessons Wink

lastly theres this...dont get me started on this....

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Don't tell me I floored the boarders with the question? Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I picked boarding over skiing back in 2000-2001ish because frankly, I don't have enough control over both feet to be able to cope with them being strapped to different planks. The stiff boots freaked me out a bit as well, it seemed a little too easy to have a massive leg shunt on skis. Well, I'm 30 now and skiing still doesn't interest me. I'm also a girl, despite the username Wink

There's no decline, I don't think. There's just a shift in the stereotype, and the marketing guys and resort managers don't quite know how to handle and exploit it yet. Not all of us are the stereotype, we're just standard mountain users who want a comfortable, pleasant experience. Nor are many of us able to conform to the 7-14 day 2-4 people package holiday experience either, which is something the industry could do with recognising a bit more.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I think the reason some these threads get traction is that more than a few mister-two-point-fours out there just can't handle their own insecurity as a skier, so look for crumbs of comfort.

When some dude with a blade stands next to them in a lift queue they can normally detect that cute little smile that creeps into the corner of their old lady's eye, and the real disappointment they see in their kiddies' faces that screams daddy's just, well.............

And the wimmin are probably as bad.

And when it comes to 'boarder chicks we all know that they're just waaaay more fun to be with than their skiing sisters..........

NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
LOL at calling a snowboard a 'blade'. Twisted Evil
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
call me dave wrote:
Nor are many of us able to conform to the 7-14 day 2-4 people package holiday experience either, which is something the industry could do with recognising a bit more.
Unfortunately over the last decade (or two) it has gonme the other way and got harder and harder to book anything other than Saturday to Saturday. I haven't tried to book a singles holiday for a very long time. There used to be a few TO companies who teamed singles up to share twin rooms - does anyone still do it (other than Ski Club of GB Fresh Tracks)?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum wrote:
What makes it easy for skateboarders and surfers yet seemingly so awkward for snowboarders?

Not sure, although I'd not want to go down a mogul field with just gravity helping me keep my feet attached to the board. I suppose the factor of ice not always being good to gain an edge hold demands a more direct connection between feet and board, plus with skating and surfing there's less material (i.e. boots) between you and the board, making it easier to retain contact. Only my opinion...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Megamum, you mean "In words of one syllable why couldn't you effectively edge a snowboard without bindings please?"

Short answer is, you could, IF you've got massive leg/foot muscles and a good grippy board, and a soft enough surface under you...
snow report
... and I imagine even in light powder you'd fall off as regularly as most surfers do (and much more often in real snow/ crud / breakable crust etc)
latest report
because skaters have got trucks and surfers have the pliability of the water rolling eyes You cant agressively turn a snowboard without bindings on hard pack as the board will tend to stay flat on the snow...
ski holidays
BCjohnny wrote:
And when it comes to 'boarder chicks we all know that they're just waaaay more fun to be with than their skiing sisters..........

Legs fixed together joke.
latest report
The challenges which snowboarders face on ice and hardpack are broadly similar to the ones I faced on a monoski for many years after 1978. To have only one edge on which to carve is fine ...

... but it's three times better to have 2 edges and the ability to spread your feet.

Because that ... skiers ... is the answer to skiing ice. Spread your legs wide, lower your centre of gravity, and increase your 'edge-base' of control. It's incredibly effective.
snow conditions
Comedy Goldsmith wrote:
The challenges which snowboarders face on ice and hardpack are broadly similar to the ones I faced on a monoski for many years after 1978. To have only one edge on which to carve is fine ...
... but it's three times better to have 2 edges and the ability to spread your feet.
Because that ... skiers ... is the answer to skiing ice. Spread your legs wide, lower your centre of gravity, and increase your 'edge-base' of control. It's incredibly effective.
Oh Balderdash!
latest report
Richard_Sideways, yup it's the moment of force basically. A snowboard/ski on edge has a natural tendency to want to fall back under gravity which needs to be resisted.

To keep a snowboard on edge in hardpack snow without bindings you would have to put an awfully large force through the edge of the board whilst in soft snow there is a much bigger platform of snow to stand on and consequently to keep the board tilted you have to apply much less force across a larger area to get the same effect as you have both a stabilising effect from the snow platform and smaller moments. Bindings help because they give you an extra ability to lever the board onto edge upwards from the side that isn't in contact with the snow. Ditto the lateral stiffness of a ski boot.
snow report
meh, all you needed to do is finish that statement with the words "All in all, its reeeally quite an elegant design" and you'd be channeling the spirit of Professor Heinz Wolff.
latest report
Quote:

In words of one syllable why couldn't you effectively edge a snowboard without bindings please?

The forces involved are such that you'd fall off. If you're so interested, why don't you try it?
snow report
Quote:

yup it's the moment of force basically. A snowboard/ski on edge has a natural tendency to want to fall back under gravity which needs to be resisted.

To keep a snowboard on edge in hardpack snow without bindings you would have to put an awfully large force through the edge of the board whilst in soft snow there is a much bigger platform of snow to stand on and consequently to keep the board tilted you have to apply much less force across a larger area to get the same effect as you have both a stabilising effect from the snow platform and smaller moments. Bindings help because they give you an extra ability to lever the board onto edge upwards from the side that isn't in contact with the snow. Ditto the lateral stiffness of a ski boot.

meh, so effectively what I suggested could be the reason in the first place:

i.e.
Quote:
so somewhere that it is not necessary to keep the board on its edges? Would the problem be that the board would be difficult to maintain with one edge, effectively, in the air due to the effects of gravity it is wasn't being lifted by dint of an anglated foot in a boot attached to it?

but got scoffed at for a lack of understanding by certain parties rolling eyes
snow conditions
Lizzard, I've never had the opportunity to do so.
ski holidays
Megamum, I think you mean youve never taken up the opportunity. The opportunity is there for everyone who has access to a ski slope of any sort and you've had plenty of those.
snow conditions
Megamum, in powder (or water, in the case of surfboards), when you put the board on edge, the base is still supported by the snow/water that is pushed against it, so it doesn't need further lift (from the foot) to maintain the edge angle. On hard snow, there is nothing to support the base, so lift is needed, and bindings required.

Imagine putting a board on edge, resting against a wall, a big block of jelly, and nothing. It balances much better on edge with something supporting the base.
ski holidays
Alternatively, just think about your own skis. How easy would it be to edge them if your foot wasn't attached?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clarky999, again, more or less as I thought. Thankyou! Very Happy

Shimmy Alcott, I'll give you that technicality - the logic always being why waste good skiing time and paying for lessons on something that I wouldn't go onto use Laughing I'm not keen on the idea of strapping my legs together on something, but if I could lay hands on a bindingless board, a v.very gentle slope and some decent footwear (and at no expense Laughing ) I'd be happy while away an hour finding out why it doesn't behave like a skateboard. Since that isn't likely to happen I'll carry on skiing Laughing
ski holidays
Richard_Sideways, Smile

Megamum, yup but I think the arsey tone of the thread rubbed off on some people so they misunderstood what you were asking!
ski holidays
meh, thankyou!
latest report
Megamum wrote:
clarky999, again, more or less as I thought. Thankyou! Very Happy

Shimmy Alcott, I'll give you that technicality - the logic always being why waste good skiing time and paying for lessons on something that I wouldn't go onto use Laughing I'm not keen on the idea of strapping my legs together on something, but if I could lay hands on a bindingless board, a v.very gentle slope and some decent footwear (and at no expense Laughing ) I'd be happy while away an hour finding out why it doesn't behave like a skateboard. Since that isn't likely to happen I'll carry on skiing Laughing

Ah ha. I'm sure you've got hiking boots and next bash you're on someone will be willing to take their bindings off their board to give you a go. Please post video of the results.
latest report
fatbob, I'm still trying to parallel the concept of snowboarding alongside skateboarding. Skate boarding is done on a hard surface, but it relies on weight tranference to weight and turn the wheels. Would a similar concept get round the edging issue, theoretically, how about a board attached to a ski type base via the same sort of mechanism that attaches the wheels to a skateboard would that theoretically work?
snow conditions
Megamum, Maybe the FlowBoard:

snow report
You've just reinvented the better design of snow skate so yes it does work. You can actually ride a no board on a bunnyslope without too much difficulty but it ends up being more of a wiggle around straight running than proper edging.
snow report
Megamum, this sort of hybrid has been tried in various forms (and I used to write about this stuff 20-30 years ago) ... but you end up with a lot of mechanism and the rider's feet well above the snow. The sensational magic of skis is that they turn so brilliantly, with feet so close to the surface.
snow conditions
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowskate
snow conditions
feef, I could maybe see a flowboard (new one on me that is) set with ice skate like blades in ascending and descending sizes rather than the small wheels, but the snow skate looks a great deal like what I was envisaging Comedy Goldsmith, and fatbob. I had no idea that such things existed. I did wonder if you were all going to think that I was nuts and tell me that I didn't understand the concepts, but if such things have been invented in the past then my understanding (despite earlier derision) cannot have been so far off the mark Very Happy Cool

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Wed 30-01-13 22:00; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Two planks or one plank does it really matter. You get ladies' front bottoms that don't know the rules on both.
If you are better than those people, then you should be good enough to go around them. And just shout abuse as you go past.
If you are not good enough to get round them then I suggest you slow down and have more lessons.
Stop crying about it and deal with the fact you have to share the mountain!
snow report
Charliefoxtrot, I think we moved on rolling eyes
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy