Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What length Atomic Theory skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I had the chance to spend a day on some Salomon Rocker 2 90's last week in Whistler, I was on the 177's which I felt were skiing me a little and on the long side. My old skis were traditional 160cm carvers, so a fair jump in length and change in design. Anyway, I have a chance of getting some Atomic Theory's which are broadly similar to the Salomons) at a great price and looking at the 168cm and 177cm. I am guessing I will have the same feelings towards the 177cm, but also thinking the 168cm may be a little short. I am 5'8", somewhere between 73 and 75 kg. Any thoughts appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm around your height & build (indeed slightly heavier), and am happy on the 168s - plenty of flotation for me. I didn't try them in 177 so can't comment on those. You'd probably be better looking for something fatter rather than longer, if concerned?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'm similar stats to you (although a little taller) and I'd choose 177s - but of course it's down to personal preference. If you didn't like the feel of a longer ski then go with your gut instinct.

As a matter of interest, what sort of deal have you found on the Theory's? Little Angel
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'm 5'7" / 75kg and eventually bought the 168's after a lengthy period of dithering between them and the 177's. After testing them both indoors I felt that my ideal length was probably around 172 which, unfortunately, Atomic don't make. I went for the 168's in the end because they just felt effortlessly fun and less likely to trouble my ageing knees. I haven't regretted buying them s and use them as my main ski both on and off piste. Great ski. They don't feel particularly "short" to me. I think I'd only be tempted to go up to 177 if I skied more aggressively and off piste all the time. N.B. I have the 2011/12 version. The 2012/13 model skis slightly shorter as its also got a bit of rocker in the tail.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'd suggest 177. I'm around 182cm myself and ski on 186 2011/12 Theories with no problems.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy