Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ideas for all-purpose ski - focussed on off piste?

Poster: A snowHead
So, I'm back in the market for new skis again (previous ones didn't last... ). I really can't be bothered with (or afford) multiple skis for different conditions, so I'm after a do it all ski. OK, that ski doesn't exist, so I'm after a ski that will excel in steeper crud and skied out powder (because that's where I usually end up), it should also be fab in powder and acceptable on-piste and in bumps. Nice if it wasn't too heavy too.

I tried the K2 Coombacks and loved them, 102mm underfoot, handle great in powder and bumps, maybe compromised a bit in harder crud but does OK on the piste, not brilliant but not awful and I'm happy to compromise there anyway. So, I went into my favourite shop (Ski Bartlett) and had a chat to the guy there (I might have bought the Coombacks there and then if he hadn't been so helpful with other options Happy ). He suggested that I could go even wider and still have a ski that works well on-piste, whilst being even better than the Coomback off piste. He came up with some very sensible ideas:

Black Crow Corvus (105mm)
K2 SideStash (108mm)
Dynastar Cham 107 - (107mm)

Of these he rated the Dynastar the highest, and reviews on the web seem to rave about it.

Reading around I should probably add the Blizzard Cochise to that list too (105mm ?)

I'm trying to put together a short list to demo when I'm next out in the Alps... anything else I should add to the list? My rule of thumb is that it should be between 100 and 110mm underfoot, length will be in the 180cm ball park and on no account will I ski a twin tip Smile.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'd suggest the Movement Source. While 'only' 94 underfoot, I found it still performs very well in powder with plenty of float. It's also very well mannered on piste and in bumps.

Assuming it performs similarly, but not having skied it myself, the Buzz would also be worth a look as it is closer to your 100mm underfoot of the others you've mentioned.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
http://www.downskis.com/ski-specifications/countdown-6 Not so convenient to demo, mind you. Their preseason sale last year was astoundingly good value, incidentally.

DPS Wailer 105? Whitedot Director? Movement Trust?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mantra? Little narrower than what you're looking at but the stiffness makes them a great crud-buster and surprisingly able for a wide ski on harder piste.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
feef, Serriadh, Sideshow_Bob, yup, should probably add something from Movement and Volkl to my list.

Not sure about availability for DPS and Whitedot in St Anton (where I'm skiing next)... Never heard of Down skis, interesting, it looks like I won't get to see them in Austria, but that model is exactly what I am after.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There's some Movement trusts for sale on here at the moment; I'd have had them, but I wouldn't have been able to QK them for my existing bindings.

Never ridden them, but all the reviews seem positive.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trusts are nice. Not skied a Cochise but Bonafide was sweet. Both I'd rate higher than the Sidestash I've also skied, though in no way a bad ski just a bit more business and a bit less fun. I'm tending toward a bigger nose in a real one ski quiver than the Director has to improve hardpack & punch through performance though can see it might work as the one for many people.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I ve skied the Coomback, Sidestash and would rate them lower down my list than the Scott missions,crusades, DPS wailer 99 and Wailer 112s that i have also skied( but more extensively. When I was looking closely at the DPS 99s I was also considering the Scott Ventures and the Blizzard Bonafides, and the Line Prophet 98 as well. But also those Down skis look interesting as well - and does such a thing as a WD Director Carbonlite exist - must do soon?

On phone, so excuse lack of well argued points.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
mishmash, for 2013-14 season for sure. Redeemer, Ragnarok, Preacher, Director and Ranger will be available in CarbonLite construction.

Down are made in the same factory as ours. Nice skis.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
dynastar legend 105 off sportpursuit?
probably a good idea to do some squats while you're waiting for them to arrive Wink
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Arno wrote:
dynastar legend 105 off sportpursuit?
probably a good idea to do some squats while you're waiting for them to arrive Wink

Interesting idea, but I'll only buy something I can demo (as per some other rant of mine, I've been bitten before). My plan is to demo on my next trip then buy something then, or maybe just after that in late season deal. I did ski the legends a few years ago (not that wide) and was pretty unimpressed TBH. I don't recall exactly why, but I wasn't rushing to buy after I tried them.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
sah, i have retired from beefy dynastar off piste skis but I had Bigs, then original Legend Pros then Legend Pro XXLs all of which were great when I was feeling full of beans but exhausting when not
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Arno wrote:
sah, i have retired from beefy dynastar off piste skis but I had Bigs, then original Legend Pros then Legend Pro XXLs all of which were great when I was feeling full of beans but exhausting when not

Yeah, I'm with you there. I wonder if the Cham will be similar?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sah, my pal rented some Directors in St Anton before Xmas from Intersport. When I say he rented, it did involve him walking into their stock room and having a good dig around before spotting them and snapping them up for the week.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
sah, some of the DOWN team are based in Innsbruck, and seem to spend a fair amount of time in/around the Arlberg. Seem to be pretty helpful guys, and I'm sure they'd be able to sort a demo (or at least fondle) - either get in touch with them on TGR (check the snow for the euros thread or pm Marius Schwaeger), or email the address on their website.

FWIW if I could only have one ski, it'd be the 190 Moment Bibby Pro. The more time I spend on them, the more I love them - (very) hardpack(ed)/ice is their only drawback.
snow report
Been through similar thought processes and I have just rationalised down to 2 pairs
Coombacks with Barons and Gotamas with Griffons ...... still have to decide which to take !!

my pal Marcus has just got Powdairs and is fitting Barons I think - he also has Armada ARVs.

So many good skis out there. ..... when are you in St Anton ? compare notes on 10th Feb ?
ski holidays
PBJ wrote:
Been through similar thought processes and I have just rationalised down to 2 pairs
Coombacks with Barons and Gotamas with Griffons ...... still have to decide which to take !!

my pal Marcus has just got Powdairs and is fitting Barons I think - he also has Armada ARVs.

So many good skis out there. ..... when are you in St Anton ? compare notes on 10th Feb ?

Sadly not out there until March Sad

I have never skied on Volkl, clearly I have to give them a go Smile
latest report
Just done the same thing and now have Whitedot Preachers on there way to me. tested them in Hemel and was very impressed with their on piste ability and they were totally unphased in crud
snow report
How manky does Hemel get?

wink
latest report
You go late wednesday eve during the season and see the clear 5ft of piste down the middle (with 30 people trying to ski it at once) and the 4ft deep crud at the sides (empty). Mind you its good practice skiing it

My experiance is its pretty realistic crud terrain
snow report
madmole, I got my Preachers end of last year and so far have had 2 weeks on them, as you would expect great in the soft stuff and crud but biggest surprise was how well they carve on piste, awesomely well due to their normal (non-rocker) camber and short radius
snow report
I'm counting in it. Off to St Anton at the weekend and they are the only pair I'm taking. The nomads are staying behind
snow report
Fischer Watea 106. Light and competent.
ski holidays
Quote:

I have never skied on Volkl, clearly I have to give them a go

Hang on, are the Gotamas not twin tips? If so I can remove them from my list - just a personal thing I have against twin tips. Still plenty of options to look at Happy
snow report
Yes. They're full reverse camber, too... that takes away from their all-purposeness, to my mind.
ski holidays
Serriadh wrote:
Yes. They're full reverse camber, too... that takes away from their all-purposeness, to my mind.

Humour me... does that not feel "dead" when skiing on piste? Maybe I should try them to see what I'm missing, I don't want to dismiss the concept out of hand. I couldn't live with a TT but I'm curious as to how a reverse camber feels.
ski holidays
[quote="sah"]
Quote:

I have never skied on Volkl, clearly I have to give them a go

Hang on, are the Gotamas not twin tips? If so I can remove them from my list - just a personal thing I have against twin tips. Still plenty of options to look at Happy[/quote

A lot of the names mentioned here have twin rocker but I dont think its the same profile as the old twin tip - it s more assymetrical in that the tail rocker is nt as pronounced as the tip. The tip rock /flat tail vs tip rocker/tail rocker variants seem to be specifically for dedicated touring set ups - I think the best exampl of what I am describing is the difference between the K2 Coomba and the K2 CoomBack. or the Scott Venture vs the Scott Reverse (off piste vs park-ish) But I may have totally misunderstood it!

I am sure others will have a better and more cogent explanation than that in a minute tho!
ski holidays
I like my Corvus, its a very trad ski. Have a mate who skied an older of the SideStash till he exploded them landing on a rock who really enjoyed them.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scott reverse! snowHead
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy