Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Inferno Race 2013 with video

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
colinstone, the XC - now that was an experience. 6.5kms or something - around the village 3 times including the hill from the train to the Jungfrau - all after exactly 2hrs exposure to the rediculous toothpicks! Sweaty doesn't begin to cover it! Staying upright was challenge enough! Sad
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
David M - watched video a couple of times. Brilliant. Really good "racing sideslip" through Kanonenrohr and good fitness evident on Woodcutters and Winteregg. Must try harder, but age against me!

JD - 2 hrs practice! Well done. Last year I used Classic skis which made the climb very easy, but slower on the rest. This time on skating skis and did Stechelberg to Lauterbrunnen and back a couple of times to train.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Woohoo - I've got a place in this year's draw. Much as I'm looking forwards, I am also slightly concerned that I'm competitive but I have never raced before, so the chances of me coming home in a wheelchair are pretty high.. Shocked

Any tips...? Presumably I need to do a lot of squats and to get used to longer skis..?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
kingswood wrote:
Woohoo - I've got a place in this year's draw.

Nice one.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
kingswood, No it's all about arm strength and getting used to balancing on two wheels. Cool

Good Luck! My top tip, get there at least the day before for a couple of sighting runs. What you see will temper the competitiveness, unless you're a complete headcase! Confused )
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
kingswood,

1. Not ski related. Have you sorted accommodation (if you want to stay in Mürren)? Staying in Lauterbrunnen is a little tedious but Mürren options will be a little limited at this point.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
kingswood, (Are you Kandahar?)

2. Unless you have prior racing experience and old FIS points (and even then they may not count I am always a little fuzzy on the system) you will almost certainly be starting either right at the back or well before anyone else goes - sort of pre-vorlaufer just to make sure the comedy Inferno gods haven't screwed things up completely. Most years, in the unlikely event that you start in the first 58, as long as you can ski in the cold clear pre-dawn darkness, going first is good although unlikely, but you are at the mercy of last minute course changes which can leave one somewhat unprepared.

You will almost certainly be right at the back. Reasonably recent changes in course prep etc mean that you will probably still have daylight to ski by. Unless you are an awesome racer and a handy SG/DH racer it is unlikely that your first race will be anything other than something that you simply want to finish.

By the time your start number is called, you will be facing immense ruts, potholes and big scoured icy patches. Oh, and all the other first timers (or the particularly slow) will be in your way/barging past you.

3. Squats are excellent, there's a three minute telemark training video on YT that I found great last year. Anything that helps with skating also good. Especially uphill. The woodcutter's path is a right vicious climb and can make the difference between self respect and self abuse.

4. Ski on whatever you are most comfortable on. I had my ass handed to me 3 years ago by a chum who was on a pair of 155 FIS slalom skis, who had rightly judged that she could keep them straight on the traverses without too much problem but didn't fancy the hairpins on the Winteregg-Lauterbrunnen section on a pair of 218s. The general fashion amongst those that I know who are not uber good/competitive is heading shorter towards 200-205 SGs anyway.

Definitely, as shep, suggests, get there in time for some good practicing. Note that skiing with any semblance of race pace before the day is liable to prove disappointing and/or very expensive. Also, ignoring "closed" signs for race prep may have the same and unhappy results.

The village take the race very seriously (even if it doesn't look like it as everyone is clearly having an immensely good time).

Enjoy.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy