Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Using rub on / cork in wax -need to restructure?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm nearly out of my universal iron on wax and could do with replacing it with some indoor specific stuff. Before I buy some though, I have a block of Swix F4 rub on wax that has a cork attached to the packet. Questions are:

1. Is it any good
2. Once corked in, do I need to give them a brush / scrub with a pad to restructure.
3. If the answer to 1 is no, can anyone recommend a good indoor iron on wax?!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm going to hedge my bets on questions 1 and 2 as everyones opinion on ski wax differs on here... Laughing

Rub-on wax will not last as long as an iron-in wax. Good for a few run blast but it will wear off eventually and the more abrasive indoor snow will tear it off pretty quickly. That's if the Poma up-lift tracks do not rip it off before you even get to the top of the slope.

RE question 2, they are designed to rub-on over anything you have done already. I tend to find a brush with my horsehair one at any time does no harm at any time, but doing that would probably take off a layer of rub-on wax.

For question 3, I am a massive fan of Holmenkol's specific indoor iron-on wax. It's a bit harder to cope with the more abrasive type of snow you find indoors (given the 'dirt' in indoor slopes from people themselves, dirty skis, fumes from pisten bully's etc). I think I spent about £10 on a block. Holmenkol Red is also pretty good for indoors but the indoor specific stuff lasts longer.

I await to be shot down in what can only be described as flames. NehNeh
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
shootingmike,

If that's the F4 'puck', I just finished mine and I'm a fan BUT I only used it for the great outdoors, no idea what it would work like indoors. I used it to 'top up' so:

1.) last thing before going out, wipe down skis with cloth - rub on wax, circular hard - polish with cork, circular hard - polish off directionally tip to tail with cloth, soft
2.) midday/1.00pm - repeat

puck was an easy carry in the pocket and the whole process took about four minutes with practice. No question that a hot wax would last longer but it kept me sliding sweet for seasons and the lack of hassle was greatly appreciated.

If you are just doing a couple of hours it should work and like I said, it's easy to apply on the hoof. I would not recommend structuring it, it's designed to go on 'light' and I suspect you would just be scrubbing the wax off if you took a brush to it.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy