Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

air canada and boot bags...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
hi all

anybody travelled air canada london -calgary and taken ski boots as carry-on?

we checked thier website and it says they are permitted- see link, i called them to double check and they are saying no, i have misunderstood and they must be checked in?! Puzzled

help snowheads!!!- or shall i just print off the page and take it with me to show the man when we go through?!

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelinfo/airport/baggage/sports_equip.html#-ski

i've read and re-read and i don't think we are getting wrong?!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Pretty clear to me
Quote:
If brought on board as carry-on baggage, ski and snowboard boots must be carried and remain at all times in the boot bag

Assuming of course that your bootbag will be your only item of hand luggage, under the maximum of 10kg and within the 23cm x 40cm x 55cm dimension limit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
cbowls30, Clear to me too and you can have the boot bag and one other piece as Air Canada allow two items of hand luggage subject to the dimensions stated Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I travelled London - Toronto last year with my boots in my backpack as hand luggage and had no problems.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Mon 28-01-13 17:34; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We are flying with them to Vancouver next week and have pre-registered our skis and were rather hoping that as we have not been asked to pay that this may be overlooked at check in.
I was just wondering if anyone had some recent experience on this one.
Thanks.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cbowls30, Steve.S, transatlantic Calgary sectors are known as CMH shuttles and most other heli skiing operators are most insistent that you should travel with your boots as hand luggage (just about the only things you can't easily replace out there).

The AC rules look pretty clear on their website.

Why not simply put your boots and other stuff in a standard cabin sized carry on suitcase and have a small bag for in flight essentials? I know that there are reports of airport security staff noting what's in your bag as you go through x-ray, but I really don't think it's that commonplace. I would take a copy of the AC rules with me however, just in case.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I did LHR to Vancouver this time last year and carried ski boots in a normal carry on wheelie bag and there was no issue. I also had a 23L backpack and it was fine. Half of the plane had ski boots in boot bags and no one said anything. I reckon you will be fine.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Steve.S,

Are you taking ski bag in addition to checked bag allowance?

If you're taking your skis as part of baggage allowance it's free. That is our plan next month; one bag with clothes etc and one ski bag with 2 sets of skis; we'll be packing light! Was assuming wouldn't have to pre register that but maybe I do

Sorry can't answer your boot question but asked you one instead Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
This year I had some trouble with the AC check-in people wanting to weigh my carry-on, which is of course outrageous as I can carry it, unlike those guys with the wheeled "hand" baggage.

I do have way more than the 13Kgs they said was the maximum I could put in it. Bl**dy Awful do not in my experience weigh hand baggage so long as it fits in the gauge. Anyway, the AC solution was to sweet talk the lady whilst musing about the possibility of wearing my hard-snowboard boots on the 'plane.... they did let me on with more than their maximum, but it's kind of a worry. The trick is to make it look casual and don't engage their "I'd like to weigh that" curiosity in the first place. I must have been looking shifty that day.

In practice if you are flying into YVR or YYC on a direct flight the risk to your boots is pretty low, based on experience. If you take an indirect flight your risk is substantial, also based on experience. CMH are particularly fussy about it as it's hard for the airline to get your boots/ gear back to you. Wiegele recommend the same thing but in practice airlines can get stuff to Blue River in a day or so, plus they have boots to lend you.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy