Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Camping a season?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi, this is my first post Very Happy.

Me and my partner are hoping to take our beloved campervan away for a snow season somewhere in the Alps. We are looking for a campsite which we can use as a base for the whole season. We did find that Camping Jungfrau in Switzerland do a package deal, but we have decided against Switzerland.

Just after any suggested sites or anyone with experience with this style, as we would prefer to stay in one site due to fuel costs ect...

Any suggestions welcome as we are abit lost.

Thanks Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The big one in Bourg st Maurice looks ideal
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Natilly, Your very brave, would like to do the same some day, have fun. Really good site (shower blocks/ hook ups etc) in Petteneu 3-4 miles down the valley from St Anton, and really close to the wellness centre, regular buses up t St Anton and right on the Innsbruck to Zurich main highway, no tolls (apart from the Arlberg tunnel but you can go over the pass). From this site you could train to most Austrian and Swiss resorts, or drive if you wanted. Going green Going green
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Campsites at Venosc and Bourg d'Oisans, handy for Alpe d'Huez and 2Alpes. Not sure whether their shower blocks are open in winter though, most busness seems to be static caravan style things.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
If you're taking a camper do you need to stay in one place? I know a season ticket for one place will be cheaper than buying tickets for different places, but are there that many resorts which you could ski for a whole season without it starting to feel a bit 'samey'? Many of the French resorts (I don't know about Swiss, Italian or Austrian) have free/cheap aires, often quite near a lift - these normally have minimal services, but then you aren't paying for them. If you do need to stay in one place for the whole season, for work or something, then you would probably be better renting a cheap apartment - it will be warmer, larger, washing and drying clothes will be easier and the pipes are less likely to freeze.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

are there that many resorts which you could ski for a whole season without it starting to feel a bit 'samey'?

yes, loads.

Though I agree that you lose a lot of the benefit of having a camper if you don't move and "follow the snow". There are some lift passes which cover big areas (in France, Austria and Italy) which would enable you to do this with one pass.

If you want to stay in one place then I agree with Yellow Pyranha - a basic little studio wouldn't cost a lot and would be more comfortable. The cost, compared to a "proper" site with facilities, wouldn't be enormous.

For example, this site, very near my apartment (where I have happily spent 10 winters skiing though there are only 185 km of linked piste, with other resorts within easy striking distance) claims to be the highest in Europe at 1700m http://www.loisir-hebergement-savoie.com/camping-savoie-haute-savoie/detail-prestataire-camping-savoie-haute-savoie.php?edit=116

But it's 21.50 euros a night in winter - cheaper than a studio but not massively, as you can negotiate good rates for a season.

There are free places, but with no hook-up you'd spend a lot on energy, even with a very well insulated van. There's certainly a free area in Les Saisies where there are always a lot of vans parked but.....brrrrrrrrrrr! Nights are cold at 1650m!!

Most resorts will have laundries where you could get stuff dried in a spell of wet weather.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
No help on sites sorry, but Ive got a couple of mates that have done it and loved it. They both had woodburners in their vans, and swore by them. Obviously for heating but also for slow cooking food as well. Good luck, sounds fun
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
No help on sites sorry, but Ive got a couple of mates that have done it and loved it. They both had woodburners in their vans, and swore by them. Obviously for heating but also for slow cooking food as well. Good luck, sounds fun
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
A woodburner would be fantastic! Would need decent ventilation though? And a carbon monoxide alarm?

I fancy a narrowboat with a woodburner.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Out of interest, how would it work with regards to MOT, tax and insurance if you're out the UK for a year?
I looked into this with regards to a longer trip by motorcycle, and found it a bit of a minefield. I found the insurance would be invalid if the vehicle didn't have a valid MOT or Tax, and I couldn't renew the tax without an MOT, nor couldI get an MOT outside the UK.

If you were planning on coming back to get the MOT done then you could always apply for the tax-disk online, but it's an interesting hurdle to deal with
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
feef, the OP is only planning to go for a snow-season.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
pam w wrote:
feef, the OP is only planning to go for a snow-season.

Ah, yes... The last discussion I had on this subject was elsewhere, where longer trips were the norm

Must remember which forum I'm on in future Smile
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My mate had a big dodge van, added a support plate underneath to stop the carpet getting it! Then simply cut through the roof, add a chimney as you would with an external house chimney, and use a heat proof seal which is easily available to seal between the hole and the chimney. Obviously the chimney needs a cowl, and you cant drive an inch if theres any fire left burning or you end up with a van load of smoke very quickly! Smile

A lot of insurance company's will only insure you abroad for 3 months in any 12, altho they dont make this especially public. Make sure you check!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Natilly, there is a free camping car, park in Ste Foy just up the road from Bourg Saint Maurice, the only thing you have to pay for is power, there are quite a few people we know do this every year and some even stay there all year!

If your doing a whole season, just take loads of baby wipes, saves on shower etc etc Shocked Shocked

If you need a contact let me know and I can pass on your details
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

Obviously the chimney needs a cowl, and you cant drive an inch if theres any fire left burning or you end up with a van load of smoke very quickly!

I wonder about snow? I regularly see people standing on the roof of their vans in Les Saisies, shovelling snow off the roof. I suppose it wouldn't settle on a hot cowl.
ski holidays
We met a retired couple doing just this in Serre Chevalier last winter. It got so cold in late February that they cleared off down to the coast for a couple of weeks to thaw out. They returned just in time for the really hot spell, and decided to go home a little earlier than planned as the snow wsa disappearing fast. We all know what happened next, and I bet they were kicking themselves. They'd had a great time and are comgin back next year, but with a few improvements to the van .
latest report
Insurance - ALL insurance policies sold in the EU (including UK) are required to cover you for the whole of the EU and Switzerland for the entire length of the policy at the minimum legal level of cover required for the country you are in.

Essentially this means that if you're insured in the UK, at all times you have 3rd party in the EU/Switzerland, no matter what they tell you on the phone. Usually they say 'we only cover you for 6 weeks abroad' and what they mean is your comprehensive part of the insurance, or any extras you have. They are required by European law to cover you for the full length of the policy.

Feef - having no tax does not invalidate your insurance, nor does not having a valid MOT.
latest report
grandmasterorge wrote:
Feef - having no tax does not invalidate your insurance, nor does not having a valid MOT.

Some policies I've seen contain terms and conditions stating that the vehicle must be road legal.
That can mean that driving without a tax or MOT (execpt for driving to an MOT center as that is legal) can invalidate the policy.

Further reading tends to suggest the same,

http://www.moneysupermarket.com/c/news/are-you-driving-without-cover-by-mistake/0008709/
http://www.talktalk.co.uk/money/latest-features/insurance/car-mot-risk-of-not-having-one.html

however, reading the road traffic act...

section 148 RTA 1988
as to condition of the vehicle, Insurance Companies cannot invalidate a certificate issued as far as making it a criminal offence i.e. to use without Insurance (S145).

So that suggests you would be covered 3rd party only and doesn't stop them pursuing a civil suit against you to reclaim costs.
snow conditions
You are correct that they may have put in specific clauses (check your policy I guess) usually the term used is "car must be kept in roadworthy condition" which I guess means even if you have an MOT and they deem it to be poorly maintained they can refuse to pay out.

I think they would find it very hard to invalidate your insurance and make you illegal, but you are right about them pursuing a civil suit after the matter for a lack of MOT if something like a brake failure caused the accident.

Tax though is not the same, it's a matter between you and the authorities - on that note if your tax lapsed whilst abroad you surely wouldn't have to renew it until re-entering the UK!
snow conditions
yeah.. I should think before opening my mouth/fingers.. The tax issue wasn't about insurance but legality in the foreign state. If you're not 'road legal' in your home state with tax and MOT then would you be permitted to drive in the foreign state. i.e. if your road-tax is expired, would the French police give a monkeys if you were involved in an accident?
ski holidays
Thank you for all the advice. Lots to mull over Smile

We emailed Petteneu and they said they are full. If anybody knows of any other sites that have package season deals that would be great.

Our thinking behind staying in one campsite was using it as a base, with small home comforts, to help see the season through, and also to keep costs down with both fuel and ski passes as ideally we would get a multi-pass.

The chimney is a great idea and we have seen a few vans with them which look really snug but our van is factory fitted and we are reluctant to start popping holes in the roof (it has enough of them anyway!)

Its great to know people have done this and now thoroughly defrosted. We do get funny looks from people when we mention our plans, but you only live once Very Happy

If anybody has any other thoughts on the matter they are much appreciated

Thanks again to all posts Very Happy
snow conditions
My thoughts not having done it but having met people who have are that there are two main reasons to do the Euro van thing:

1 To maximise storm chasing opportunities. This doesn't exactly square with keeping costs down by getting full use out of a season pass.

2 To keep costs to a minimum by having a very low cost per night. This is why there are van ghettos in places like Chamonix etc.

Paying to stay on an official campground seems to achieve neither (assuming you aren't at US RV levels of luxury). TBH I'd go for a cheap studio and a resort car for getting to other places in preference.
ski holidays
I made some comments here, along with many other posters

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=18989&start=40

I have done a few seasons in the noughties in a van. (not full season but about 5 or 6 weeks a season) I never really found any campsites open when I was driving around. I mostly stayed in the free areas with limited facilities, and got out of the cold and defrosted the van regularly to ensure

a) rust is kept to minimum
b) battery health is maintained
c) boredom reduced
d) mould reduction

I took the van to the French riviera sometimes, all the way down to Barcelona from Nice. I also went to beaches alongside the Brittany coastline when returning many times via the now terminated Zebrugge to Rosyth ferry. It broke up the monotony of sleeping in a fridge for weeks on end while the weather was poor in some resorts.

I tended to only ski on clear sunny days when the snow was good. So I would often not stay in resort parking when the weather was turning bad. The snow would build up and you would get trapped in!

You might want to look at a few of my earlier posts regarding parking in resorts, although there are many websites out there now which give a better and more comprehensive (and up to date) analysis.

http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76751&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76757&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76763&highlight=
http://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76765&highlight=

Other good places to stay are campervan accessory stores (which also sell campervans). They often have a free hookup outside the front gate where you can camp for free overnight with free electricity and water! Some Swiss petrol stops have free electricity and water for overnight stops too. (or at least they did in 2005/2006)

Have fun

snowHead
ski holidays
Will go with johnE advice.
Name is le Versoyen and is a top place to stay. Well appointed, free shuttle to funiculaire, walking distance to train station, supermarkets and town centre. I highly recommend it. I always pitched there during winter and was always happy with the site and the people.
There are loads of long time regular campers over there.
Excellent staff.
latest report
I would often go skiing in November and early December in Tignes. Camp sites are not open until early December, or later. Perhaps that is why I never found them of any use. It might also have been the single person supplement which put me off!

Shocked
snow conditions
this is a cool idea, travelling about like a snow pirate chasing the pow, im not really one to organise anything and i'd just go and see what happens, lift passes often cover swimming pools in resort so you have a warm shower there, im jealous
latest report
Natilly, le Verosyan is open all year long. There are other ones I would go for as well, this time in the Maurienne valley, in Bramans and near La Toussuire / les Sybelles. I cannot recall the name.
snow conditions
If you fancy the Three Valleys, La Tania has a little caravan spot that is currently free (as long as no one causes any trouble) at the bottom of the Saz parking. I have friends who stay there the whole season. Its may be 300m from the piste..
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Natilly, check here - http://www.motorhomeski.com/ lots of good tips and location information

For the lift pass pricing / location suggestion then paradiski has a pre-season price of sub 700 euro for the seasons for 425km of skiing. 2 days free in Espace Killy & 3V, cheaper day prices in La Rozierer (with a Paradiski season pass) You could then use http://www.skialacarte.fr/en/ski-card.php for example for some other resort options. Lots of other places with loads of skiing and decent lift pass deals including PdS, Maurienne Valley, serre chevalier, Sella Ronda in Italy and I'm sure many more...
ski holidays
Wow thanks for the info!

Some really good stuff Very Happy, we are getting very excited now.

Thanks again Smile
latest report
the_doc spends the winters on a campsite near/in Mayerhofen. PM him if your interested in the details, or failing that PM me as I have the bill for last season here somewhere.
latest report
try st. Foy in France.
Not sure the camping is 'official' but I alwasy see loads of camer vans doing a season up there.
ski holidays
There are great resort in Northern Canada where you can go. They might also provide you with camping sites.
latest report
My site info may be a little out of date as we have not taken the caravan for a few years but in terms of sites in France, the one mentioned at Bourg St Maurice is very handy for campervans. The big SuperU is within walking distance, so is the funicular up to Les Arcs (bit of a walk though) and you can (or could) leave your stuff at the ski shop at the bottom of the funicular. There is also a free navette from the site to the funicular and to ring in the changes an indoor swimming pool next door.

From BSM its not too far to many resorts and you could consider using the site for periods of time when the weather was predicted to be very cold/bad, and parking at one of the many free aires (some have a nominal fee for hook up and or water/waste disposal) for times when the weather is clement. From memory the one at Val (arghh name memory failure, well the big resort beginning Val not too fat from BSM Smile) is situated quite well for the lifts. Over the years we chatted with many seasonal motor home ski campers, and they did tend to go in to 'proper' sites from time to time to deal with laundry/shopping etc but use the air de camping car or a car park to save money the rest of the time.

The very pretty site at Pralognan La Vanoise (pool next door free navette to lifts) is probably too isolated for what you are considering, as may be the ones near Morzine, at Grand Bonnard (Take away plate du jour from the restaurant, small but nice indoor pool and free navette to the lifts, just as well as parking there is not good) and Les Clusaz (nice pool but was fully booked when we nosed around) and the one at Allemont (very pleasant owners but expensive electricity) is not near anything much! The one at Les Contamines is ideally suited for the lifts (but not for much else) and there is a huge car park next door which had quite a few motor homes parked up whilst we were there. It did get down to below minus 20 that year (February) though and the local garage came out to an English motor home whose diesel had frozen. The one at Samoens had an aire du camping car at the entrance and is wonderfully close to the telecabine (I nearly said new telecabine but its been there a few years now!) There is also a patisserie/boulangerie on the spot. Versoyen previously mentioned was a tricky walk to the lifts. We visited but did not stay and it seemed otherwise pleasant enough. The camp site at Les Saises seemed particulary set up fro motor homes, we did not actually stay there with the caravan as I was not too impresses with the state of the facilities

As a personal choice, early and late season, I preferred higher sites, more chance of snow and frozen ground around you, rather than rain and mud and as I had kids in tow I liked access to pools/skating rinks etc.

Apart from BSM I can`t think of another site with walking access to a supermarket. There are sites at Peisey/Vallandy, and La Rosiere which I have never visited and more I`m sure, there`s also a second small site at BSM which was not conveniently located as far as I remember.

I`m afraid I don`t know much about ski sites other than in France as I`ve only visited them in summer. The ones we stayed at in Austria (detours on summer hols to check them out) were immaculate but the ski areas accessed were not that big and farther away than the French Alps. There are plenty of others though!
snow report
If your planning on staying on french 'camping car' or municipal sites a lot have a 2 day limit n staying...officially. Ive found most people dont tend to bother listening to this, but they can ask you to leave if they want too. Great to stay on though, Ive just spent 6 weeks in a camper in France on the west coast. Biggest problem was being to hot at night, Im guessing this wont be a problem for ski season haha. Any progress?
snow report
check back through the archives here: http://www.kiteboard-europe-byvan.co.uk/

I remember reading quite a few posts there a couple of years back when they lived the season in a camper van in the PDS (I think)

Looks like they left the UK for their season around Jan 2008 http://www.kiteboard-europe-byvan.co.uk/post/2008/01
snow report
You mention Camping Jungfrau in Switzerland (although I note you've decided it's not for you). We stayed there in our camper in the summer and that was the first time I realised that camping and skiing/boarding could be done. Their toilet blocks are beautiful and fully heated, they have a heated drying room and boot room and a number of indoor meeting rooms plus a kitchen that you can use if you don't want to cook in the van.
It was a bit of a journey to get up the mountain, a 15 minute walk to the train station (although I think they run a bus in the winter) and quite a long journey on the funicular.

I've seen people staying in their vans in parking spots but I think that would get uncomfortable pretty quickly, but a relatively low campsite close to a funicular / cable car could be fun, I believe there's a site in Montchavin but haven't seen it.
snow report
Actually Vickitav I prefer campsites at higher altitudes. Camping in the snow is far preferable to camping in mud and rain. Very Happy
latest report
People who live in vans smell.

Rent an apartment.
latest report
Thats rather offensive Whitegold.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy