Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Connections between Ski Amade resorts

Poster: A snowHead
In a few weeks we will be in Amade area staying in Flachau. This will be our 2nd holiday here.
Last year although we stayed primarily in Flachau, we did have couple of trips out, Wagrain, Flachauwinkl and once over the hill to Zauchensee
I know there are buses but as we have a car we may be using it to go a little further afield.

Providing conditions allow, how practical is it to base our car in say Pichl and ski (on piste) \ lift to Haus\Ennstal and return?
From the piste map, it appears that they do interconnect but these map can sometimes be misleading.

We're expecting it to be a relatively busy week, school holidays (not certain if Fasching is on also) so accessing the area from a smaller resort may help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
FraserP, We drove to Pichl (Reiteralm) last week - easy peasy and not very far, and while we didn't stray from the Reiteralm area I just wanted to post to say what a great ski area it is! Someone will be along who knows the real answer......

Fasching is the week before you arrive
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Remember the world championships are on at Schladming until 17 feb, though no reason you can't still ski that area. another good day trip is the hochkonig tour, drive to mulbach and ski to maria and back
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
waynos, out of interest is Reiteralm connected in the way that FraserP asks? Next time we go I'll be wanting to do a round trip of some sorts, whether to Schladming (which does connect I think?) or somewhere else
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
holidayloverxx wrote:
FraserP, We drove to Pichl (Reiteralm) last week - easy peasy and not very far, and while we didn't stray from the Reiteralm area I just wanted to post to say what a great ski area it is! Someone will be along who knows the real answer......

Fasching is the week before you arrive
Any recommended bars\restaurants on the Reiteralm?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
FraserP, We went to the Lena Alm http://www.lena-alm.at/ which is very swish but no more expensive than any other hut, but as usual I don't think you'd be disappointed with any of them.

Here's the list of huts. http://www.ski-reiteralm.at/de/winter/reiteralm/skihuetten-apres-ski?page=1
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
FraserP, It is possible to ski the 4 mountains from Reiteralm through to Hauser Kaibling.
You can get to Hauser Kaibling for lunch (with a relatively early start) and then high-tale it back to Reiteralm.
There are also busses between each valley station should you miss the last interconnecting lifts... but if this is at Pichl (before Reiteralm) then I recon it is quicker to walk!

Good days ski, but try to memorise the lifts as much as possible!

You shouldn't get too tangled up at Schladming as you will be taken the Golden Jet up (which is away from the races) and then scoot accross the back 'Paradis' area to Hauser Kaibling.... gonna be busy though!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the info. Highly unlikely we will be skiing this area before 19th Feb so the ski racing will be over.
We had a lot of fun last year so I expect returns to both Flachauwinkl and Zauchensee as well as fitting in a couple of private ski lessons.
So little time, so many places to ski ! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
FraserP, we had a fantastic last day in Flachauwinkl last week, fabulous snow, bluebird day. [/sigh]
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Last years trip was epic, very cold but lots of snow! From the interesting weather on the journey -29 deg c , -20 deg c overnight in Munich, -10 to 15 deg c most ski days.
Just gave me more of an excuse to have regular bar stops!
I loved the pre skiing stop at the bar at the top of the achterjet. Gluhwein's and hot chocolates all round!
Early lift = no queues.

Just had a happy half hour re-reading the kids trip report from last year:-

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1980790&highlight=adventure#1980790

Really looking forward to this years trip.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FraserP, Have a great time. Looking forward to this year's report too. (whisper to megamum that I'm buying a slow cooker for the apartment for next season....)
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
holidayloverxx wrote:
FraserP, Have a great time. Looking forward to this year's report too. (whisper to megamum that I'm buying a slow cooker for the apartment for next season....)
The slow cooker makes food preparation so easy, piping hot when you get in.
I was in bother last year, when I accidentally unplugged our slow cooker one morning and I didn't remember until we were in Zauchensee. So there was no meal ready in the evening. I certainly wasn't allowed to forget it!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
FraserP, don't know if you realised, but there is a socket on the cooker, to the left of the hob & oven controls. There is a pull out socket cover - makes it harder to accidentally unplug something.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

I certainly wasn't allowed to forget it!

I can imagine..... Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I'm on KP duties this year and have been warned off the use of electrical cooking devices, wherever they are plugged in!

The kids have two ski lessons booked, on those days we'll stay around Flachau, but the other days we may have a wander. I think that Reiteralm will get a visit at some stage in our week, with maybe a trek towards Schladming. Bring it on! Very Happy
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
Quote:

I certainly wasn't allowed to forget it!

I can imagine..... Laughing
The only saving grace, if there was one, was that the kids loved the replacement meal, spag bol !!!
Megamum took a little more convincing.....
snow conditions
FraserP, you can get a bus all the way back from Haus to Reiteralm - we did that last year in preference to the straight there and back ski. A really nice day out. But do check the bus times first!

+1 for the HochKonig day trip too.
ski holidays
Yes, really looking forward to our trip, I have even started to sort out what we are taking just so it starts to feel closer to going. holidayloverxx, a crock pot is a great idea in the appt. it's just nice to come home to hot meal that requires very little extra prep to get something on the table, and you get that lovely smell (a constant electricity supply notwithstanding rolling eyes ) when you come in at night. I'll look for that socket on the cooker that might be useful to find Happy

Will any other SH's be in the area that week - 16-22 Feb? If so maybe we can say 'Hi' snowHead Cool
snow report
Megamum, I'm thinking about this one as it seems to take up less room, and you can put the pot on the hob.

http://www.morphyrichards.co.uk/products/cooking-and-baking/slow-cookers/48784-Flavour-Savour-4.5L-Digital-Slow-Cooker.html
snow conditions
You're looking at paying a lot for a fancy bit of chrome, Crock Pot branded ones come in way cheaper with a stoneware pot.
snow conditions
FraserP, yes but I like the idea of being able to put it on the hob and the price is good for programmable. Its stainless steel not chrome. It also takes up less space than the crock pot ones.
latest report
Quote:

I like the idea of being able to put it on the hob

it looks like a self-contained thing, but will get hot enough to seal/brown meat. Does it go on the hob?
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I suspect that they all work in a similar way and anything that sorts out food in that way is useful.

However, FWIW as you consider things, is the pot that you linked to trying to sell you features that you might not need for a premium price?:

Perhaps some thoughts from someone with one might be useful.

Mine is a traditionally styled one - though years old. It has an earthenware pot and eartenware lid which fit inside a base which heats up. Rather like this one has:

http://www.tesco.com/direct/tesco-scss12-3l-slow-cooker/173-0852.prd?pageLevel=&skuId=173-0852

I suspect they remain more insulated and therefore more energy efficient than the one you linked to due to the pot itself sitting inside the heated outer which itself is insulated on the outside.

I don't have a problem with searing the meat in a separate pan if needed, in fact looking at their video it looks like 'sticking' during that process could well be a problem which it isn't in a non-stick frying pan. You would also find it greater problem to get rid of any fat that you don't need at that stage if you did it all in one pan. As for the fact that you could use the pan on the stove, if you have other saucepans in the appt. I would doubt the use that aspect would get and in terms of storage, since conventional crock pots store with their pot in their base anyway, I can't see any gain on that front.

The only advantage I can see to the chrome one (and in your situation certainly worth consideration) is the potential breakage factor of a heavy earthenware pot over a metal one.
latest report
Please can I declare a certain amount of thread drift going on here......

Piste connections to slow cooker suitability. Toofy Grin
snow report
Megamum, What can I say - I like it! I'll have another look but the footprint is important and the earthenware ones look big (I used to have one years ago). I want a programmable one that switches to "keep warm" when cooking is finished, you don't get that in a cheaper model. Also the one I link to is 4.5l capacity rather than the smaller 3L which would be a push to feed 4.
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, I wouldn't bother buying on to be honest as it will rarely get used.

So far as far as I can tell the only cooking that has been done has been on the hob and the oven has only been used once to warm up rolls and/or pizza (the week the Dutch family were there with the son who was supposed to be studying but somehow downloaded 16Gb of films and TV programs). I check the state of the oven and the pans every week - last week they were not used at all! Toofy Grin
latest report
Samerberg Sue, I will use it! eeyore made 3 dinners last week that could have been done in a slow cooker and would have saved us lots of time in the evening

Anyway, I've bought it. reduced from £79.99 to £51.99, then 5% off and 10% cashback with Quidco so less than £45 in the end. I'm happy with that.
snow report
So, back to piste connections in the Ski Amade.....
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Samerberg Sue, I wish my oven was never used and stayed clean..... I use mine a lot and clean it rather rarely. Embarassed Cheese and sundried tomato scones in there right now. Will be gratin dauphinois tomorrow.

FraserP, man shall not live by piste connections alone. wink
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, Excellent!! As I said above, anything that cooks like that will be useful - if you want me to take it out with us and save me having to cart something back home (which I will need to do if I take mine) give me a shout and I'll call over before I go to collect. The metal form will certainly absolve the risk of breakages and if you liked well, why not have it?

I cooked in mine for all but 2 nights when we were there. If you now have one I will use yours as often once it is installed Very Happy . We also used the saucepans and the oven regularly and appreciated, but didn't abuse the internet privilage. I also scrubbed the kitchen like a new pin prior to leaving!!
latest report
Megamum, Ooh that's a good idea - you can test it and saves me carting it out too!! will let you know when it arrives and I've checked to make sure it works!

You are indeed the guest from heaven (and use the internet as much as you like - there's no limit!)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy