Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

easy red runs in 3 valleys please

Poster: A snowHead
Hello
Any suggestions for the easier red runs in the 3 valleys? Ones with less steep pitches or wide slopes? Thanks.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I can tell you about Val Thorens and those I've tried/seen.

Christine (of the top of furnitel peclet) and Rhodos (see below) are easy reds
Fond is a blue but IMO, is at least as hard as Rhodos - both accessed via portette or down from the top of several routes
Portette (Red) has a really steep pitch right at the top, but is then OK - off the top of portette lift
Col de l'audzin(Red) - from Cime Caron is a doddle apart from a really evil short bit more or less in the middle
Lac blanc (Red) of the top of fernitel peclet is moderately steep for much of its length, but is fairly wide - it is damn evil in any other than decent weather
I haven't tried asters (red) of the top of Thorens lift, but it isn't so long and doesn't look too difficult with good snow. If you get up there and don't like the look of it there is always chocard (blue down).

Mauriennaise down into Orelle is def. the darker side of red and wants skiing early in the day on decent snow

The top part of Lac de la Chambre down into the meribel mottaret valley is nice and wide, but fairly steep for the first part.

Of course all the above advice depends on weather and snow conditions
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Creux in 1850
Jerusalem in St Martin
Bel Air in 1650

.....or is this my top 3 3v red list?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Frosty the Snowman, Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I found Lac de la Chambre one of the most difficult reds in Meribel valley when I did it - extremely mogully near the top.

Jerusalem is an excellent, wide piste, as is the Pramint red run in St Martin.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Saulire in Courchevel! Wonderful red first thing in the morning when freshly pisted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Saulire is wonderful, but very steep at the start to be described as easy.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
Creux in 1850
Jerusalem in St Martin
Bel Air in 1650

.....or is this my top 3 3v red list?

I would personally have Saulire on my 3vs top 3, but unless you scoot around the track the top can be considered a bit steep for some.

Creux is lovely, bel air quiet and Jerusalem juse awesome
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
tccambs wrote:
I found Lac de la Chambre one of the most difficult reds in Meribel valley when I did it - extremely mogully near the top.

Jerusalem gets a lot of reviews; I've heard it described a few times as the best pisted run in the 3V. But for me Pramint is a better run; absolutely lovely.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
It's difficult not to just give a list of all my favourite red runs in the 3Vs, as there are loads of good ones!

Combe de Saulire was my favourite from my trip there last year, but is pretty steep at the top, and can get a bit moghulled lower down. It's good because it's a bit challenging, but it's not one I'd recommend as a first red run. Every time I did it there seemed to be a line of gibbering people standing at the top looking down the initial entry slope.

I haven't tried them all but think the easiest ones I've done are Jerusalem and Pramint (both above St Martin in the Les Menuires valley) and Creux from the top of Saulire, which is very wide and not that steep. The Marquetty in 1850 is nice and wide and quite short and always seemed to be well-groomed, but a little steeper.

All the reds over at 1650 seemed about average difficulty for reds. Not too easy but nothing too hard about any of them. All nice.

The hardest reds I did were Mur in 1850 (mostly because it was covered in 4 ft high porridge moghuls) and Jean Pachod after it had been left unpisted for 2 or 3 days, so the steep bits were covered in 4ft high ice moghuls (it actually had a rope across the top saying 'Expert Skiers Only', which I stupidly ignored). I need to work on my moghuls!

Its always going to depend partly on the snow and conditions.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Many of them are manageable for intermediates as they're so wide. Perhaps we should do a list of those to avoid instead?

Meribel:
Piste bleu, although blue can be horrendously bumpy and busy, and is very narrow.

Maduit. An amazingly long and fun run, but used to be a black and some might think that it still should be
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Dav wrote:
tccambs wrote:

Jerusalem gets a lot of reviews; I've heard it described a few times as the best pisted run in the 3V. But for me Pramint is a better run; absolutely lovely.

We followed recommendations and skied Jerusalem in January. It's a fabulous run. The only warning I'd give is that in spite of us sking it early January, when the snow was generally excellent everywhere, the piste was pretty much an ice sheet for a segment somewhere around piste marker 2. However, don't let that put you off, as the rest of the piste more than made up for it.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Another vote for Jerasulem and Pramint. I'm quite partial to Les Allamands too. Blaireau in the Meribel valley often has very good snow and can be very quiet, lovely rollers on this piste.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading to the 3 vallees next week, staying in La Tania. Travelling with my 63 yr old mother, who is fine on blues and ok on reds but like to avoid what she calls red reds! I have been to the 3 vallees before but never stayed on the La Tania or Courcheval side so have limited knowledge of the pistes.

Can anyone let me know which red runs (red reds) to avoid please. I will try and recce most before I take her down them, however any advice in advance would be much appreciated. Mostly she will dislike any particular steep bits or narrow bits if that helps!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The reds off Creux Noirs and Mont Vallon are, IMO, rather dark... and the Combe de Saulire in the afternoon after everyone's scraped it.

But it all depends on conditions Wink
snow report
laura1182, The red down to La Tania is no problem and no more difficult than the famous (and excellent) Folyeres. Likewise, the run down to La Praz is quite easy - and the black Jockeys OK too, at least that bit is.
The really steep reds are over Meribel way. Both Vallon runs are hard. Mouflon is lovely but steep in parts. Likewise Alouette.

At Courchevel, avoid Roc de Mugnier. Quite steep and icy last time I went that way.

Cruex is great and is now classed as blue, I believe.

snowHead
snow report
Sorry, but surely

Quote:

easier red runs in the 3 valleys? Ones with less steep pitches or wide slopes?

are called BLUE runs!?!

Why the seeming fixation with the colour of the run? It would make sense to me jayjayjam, if you were asking for guidance on "the runs in the 3V that were wide and with less steep pitches", but I really don't get why Red ones. I'm probably missing something though.

Enjoy your trip!
snow conditions
It is self-evident that red runs range from "only just a bit more difficult than a blue" to "only just a teeny bit easier than a black."

Apart from that, we all know that the grading of runs is "political" in the sense that resorts will regrade a run for commercial reasons in certain circumstances.

The critical point is that snow conditions are often much more significant in the experience of skiing a run than the grading.

We all know these things. I still can see no problem with asking for information particularly in the circumstances of wanting to get more nervous skiers down runs they lack confidence on.

snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks Chris Bish, - I've skied the mont vallon runs and had a bit of a moment at the top myself so definetly won't be taking mother up there - may try and conquer my demons on them though!

Confidence is her major issue and fear of the unknown. She is perfectly capable in good conditions (fair weather skier) however the long range forecast looks fairly unsettled so we shall see! Who knows I may get her down Jockeys which would be her first black run and something she would dine out on for years!

As altis says it is the conditions that make the difference, whilst most are looking at the forecasts for fresh snowfall, I wouldn't mind a few bluebird days that week!
ski holidays
laura1182, If you pick up Jockeys from the turn left off the green run as you come down towards La Tania then itis quite gentle as you miss out the steepest bit. Still counts as a black though!

snowHead
ski holidays
is "an easy red run" not in fact a blue run? Puzzled
snow report
jayjayjam, Portette is a good one to cut your teeth. Small steep bit at the start - the rest is cruisy blue. Plenty of space on the steep bit for traversing if you aren't happy pointing your skis down the hill.

Christine doesn't have any steep bits. There are a few narrow places with a steep drop off the side. Otherwise it is a blue.

Jerusalem is fantastic. You can get some air if you are keen Toofy Grin

Lac de la Chambre is nice, but it seems to be the run of choice for getting from VT into Meribel, so can have lots of nervous people around the place.

Over in Orelle there are really only a couple of runs.

Mauriennaise is nice. Has a couple of steep bits, but if you fall you aren't going anywhere dangerous.

The top of Bouchet is steep but if you get a few other reds under your belt it is worth doing as the view from the top is astonishing. The Bouchet lift gave me two broken fingers though, so pay attention when you are getting on.

Overall, 3V reds aren't like Chamonix reds. Still prefer 3V for a holiday though. I think the colour of the poles is largely irrelevant.
ski holidays
We are off to 3V February 1/2 term as a group of 4 families with children ranging from aged 9 to children/young adults aged 25 [somehow the kids still like coming on holiday with mum & dad, not mine, my eldest is 19 & she is quite happy to tag along...wonder why?] never been here before so 1st for us however, one of our parties daughter who is at uni has just returned & has created a resume of the runs for the 'oldies'....her dad has inserted his comments in red....which unfortunately have not copied through.....still relevant info....

Lac Blanc - Val Thorens - Red off Funitel Peclet - The very long extension of the Glacier. Wide-open, great snow and if you get a dump of powder, the place to be.
Hermine - Val Thorens - Blue off 2 Lacs chair - Winding blue chair to get you across to the Caron cable car. Good little run for intro to off-piste.
Arolles – Val Thorens - Black off Moutieres chair – Quality semi off piste black
Combe Vallon - Motterat - Red off Mont Vallon Telecabin – Long run which is relatively quiet except during high season. Be wary of the steep and sometimes icy top section.
Sittelle- Motterat - Blue off Plattieres Telecabin – No comments
Mauduit - Motterat - Red off Pas Du Loc or Saulire Telecabins - Long well groomed red from top of La Saulire to La Chaudanne. Perfect for intermediates.
The Tougnette area - All off Tougnette or St Martin Chairs
Ecrureuil – Motterat Black - no comment – just the other side of the Toungnette chair from Combe Toungnette (see below)
Combe Tougnette – Motterat Black – A fantastic black steep at the top then eases off to become a great run for those intermediates who wish to try a black
Foan – Motterat - Blue – An easy intermediate run to gain confidence – nice and long and really good fun in the powder
Blaireau – Motterat - Red – Wide and long intermediate run often with good snow
Jerusalem – St Martin – Red – Cruisey red run for developing intermediates to get time on skis. Holds snow well through the season
Les Allemands – St Martin - Red – Good intermediate cruisey red back into Les Menuires

so we have a challenge or two to step up to, bring it on
Very Happy Toofy Grin
latest report
Great thread this Smile I'm very much a blue run early intermediate and did my first ever red runs in Val Thorens last year - so here are my thoughts:

Portette - did this one a few times and thoroughly enjoyed it. It's steep at the top, but very wide so the steepness isn't an issue. After the steep bit, the rest of the run is fine. Definitely recommended.
Medaille - nice and wide, and very short so feels very achievable.
Chardons - did this in fresh powder so was actually fairly straight forward but that was probably down to the powder making the run much slower than normal.
Falaise - struggled down this one, the conditions were very tricky.

I'm back in VT in March so will definitely be trying Christine, and Col de l'audzin - cheers for the tips Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy