Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Valmeinier February 2013

Poster: A snowHead
Hey! I'm due to head out there in 2 weeks and I was wondering what the conditions are like there at the minute? Im a bit worried after looking at the reports and the forecast. I cant seem to find much about the resort anywhere. Smile Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jasmine20, worried in what way?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
jasmine20, even if there were any reason to be worried at the moment, it would have very little bearing on what conditions would be like in 2 weeks time.

if you do a search on Snowheads there's some information on Valmeinier/Valloire, all of it positive, IIRC.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It just seems a bit warm and rain is forecast which surely can't be good? I was just curious as to what it's like there from someone there ATM or who has just come back. Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Weather is one of those things you can't control - so try not to fret too much. It's been very cold until now, and only forecast to be warmer for a few days. There's enough snow to cope with some warmer days, and a bit of rain does less damage than you might think. Even someone who's there right now couldn't tell you what it will be like in two weeks and you can be sure the resorts are doing their best to ensure good piste cover for those busy holiday weeks - it'll be fine.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
A quick look on http://www.snow-forecast.com , shows a good base so far and there saying 20Cm snow in the next 6 days with no mention of rain.
I went there a few years back and had a great time, preferred the runs on the Valloire side.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Valmeinier is small, but there are other nearby areas to explore. I enjoyed Valloire, and we also went to Val Thorens for a day, as the snow cover was poor.

We stayed in the Hotel Aigle, think it was in about 1999!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in the Aigle, with Snowcoach. Let's think - would have been about 95. It was very early (cheapest) January and we had 6 kids sharing the 6 bedded dorm room and getting all kinds of discounts - an excellent deal booked at the ski show. The snow wasn't great (nothing like as good as it is at the moment) but we had a good holiday and the older kids, all very competent, had a ball exploring all kinds of nooks and crannies in Valloire. I didn't much like the Aigle, I have to say - a "chalet hotel" seems to have none of the advantages of either a chalet or a hotel, but it was a very cheap holiday, and we got what we paid for. Valloire is a good resort.

The coach journey was very good - saved a packet and we got two extra days skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Yep, we went by coach, and I shared the dorm room (room 101 - it lived up to its name, it flooded!!) with about 5 other girls.

I was with a huge group of 40 people and we had a great time.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Any advice about the ski runs? Some people that I have been speaking to reckon that some of the blues and greens are worse than the reds due to being very narrow etc. Cool Any information about anything would be much appreciated as I too am going with Snowcoach. Very Happy
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jasmine20, I can't remember very well but there was nothing difficult in Valmeinier. I didn;t ski the whole of Valloire, by a long way.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Ahh right Smile I haven't been for 2 years so I'm a bit scared as I have never been there!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jasmine20, Conditions in Valmeinier are currently pretty nice! Having quite regular snowfall (about 15cms the past few days), and also quite a few days of sunshine too. With regards to runs, the Valmeinier side contains the easier of the runs, but as with every resort, the blues can get a bit bumpy near the end of the day. On the Valloire side there are more options in terms of difficulty, but again there are some fairly easy runs down. If you're looking to get a few hours of skiing done, the best thing to do is to head to the Valloire side, a much greater variety over there! Any more questions, do feel free to ask. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thank you ! Very Happy I really appreciate the information.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Heading out to Valmeinier for a few days at half term (2014). Any idea how busy it is usually at half term?
snow report
hammerite, it'll be busy, because it's French holidays too (Paris) but somebody there at half term last year reported it wasn't too bad. Best thing is to have an early start, then an early break/lunch before 12, then ski through the lunch time.
snow conditions
Hope you have a good time!
ski holidays
hammerite, we did Valmeinier at half term about 5 years ago I guess it must have been. It was busy, but not silly. Longest lift queue I can remember was about 10 minutes, but due to its position as a resort for French families, once you get 2 lifts away from the front de neige, it's ok. At least, that was my experience. Good little resort(s). Underrated. Enjoy!
ski holidays
Thanks all. I knew it would be busy being during French hols, but Mr Pieholeo and pam w, have said what I want to hear Happy don't mind queuing for the first lift or so as long as it thins out eventually.

Never been at Half Term before, preferring Christmas/New Year and Easter. But this has been a strange winter so far and we're squeezing in what we can!
latest report
Quote:

Mr Pieholeo and pam w, have said what I want to hear

I think the person I remember saying that it wasn't too bad WAS Mr Pieholeo so you still only have one opinion. wink
latest report
hammerite, I also remember there was a bit of a bottleneck at the 2-way linking chairlift between Valloire and Valmeinier. Don't know if that has been alleviated since.
snow report
hammerite, here are some pics from our trip, which I've just looked up was Feb half-term 2009.

ski holidays
Mr Pieholeo, looks perfect to me! Thanks for posting these up.
snow report
As you can see, especially from the second one, a typical horrendous rammed-to-the-gills half term in France. You'd be much better off in Austria or Italy, have you considered Easter instead blah blah blah etc.
snow report
Mr Pieholeo, Very Happy

Hopefully we'll be going away at Easter too!
snow report
Would be very interested to see a TR after you get back. I've only been just that once, but I was very fond of the place, and considered it a bit of a half-term victory!
snow report
Will try to report as soon as I can.
snow report
Well you asked for a report..... Two days in and we had a day of very little visibility yesterday (in the cloud above about 2000m), we only queued for one lift all day. Today was bright blue skies. First 2 lifts we queued for about 5 mins, then nothing after that until about 3pm when we had to get 2 lifts at pinch points, had to wait about 10 mins. Very busy getting back in to Valmeinier but fine otherwise. Earlier in the day we spent about 5 mins on a lift which had 3 runs criss crossing underneath and we didn't see a skier on any of them.

Quite impressed really.

Nice little ski area. Yesterday we just did all the Valmeinier runs, today we headed over to the Galibier and skied down to Verneys, Moulin Benjamin and Valloire (Setaz). Will see what the weather is like tomorrow before deciding where we go, current forecast is for snow and cloud so we'll probably head over to Valloire as there are more runs to go at lower down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Even more impressed today, we managed to see all of 4 people on one 5km run. Haven't queued for a lift all day.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy