Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rossi Board experiences

Poster: A snowHead
OK snowboardists anyone got any views on this mofro for backwaxing the sherbert tsunami?

https://www.summits.co.uk/product/rossignol-exp-wide-mens-snowboard-163cm-mid-wide/

Looks a bit rental fleet?

Flex rating seems ambitious given teh (original) pricepoint of the board

Is magnetraction really worth having? And does it compensate if the flex isn't all that?

Truth is I don't board anywhere near like what I used to (zero days last season) but with driving out to ski looking more likely and having reached a point where I decided my latest board was just too soft for me I'm wondering if getting another board makes sense. I'm not looking to bust the bank (though if anyone has a Prior MFR in big boys size that they want to shift on for not much I'm happy to listen).

Back in the day I had a Rossi Nomad as my first proper wideboard and was pretty impressed with the build for the pricepoint - blew it up after a lot of days on a pillow line that was a bit granitey. Are Rossi still holding in the quality department
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I have a one lf and xv, wouldnt swap them for the world.

However, i am not sure id buy a rocker board again, which is what exp is i think?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Dave of the Marmottes, I picked up an ex demo one of these:

https://whitelines.com/snowboard-gear/reviews/snowboards/west-la-hache-2019-2020.html

but I think mine may be the 18-19 yr. I'm in a similar situation to you, I tend to ski and only have off days snowboarding and my old board is old and heavy. The West is excellent and happy to recommend them. I know the guys who bring them in to the UK and bought it on their suggestion, but have a look at their ebay shop here:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/nobleboards
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's very cheap. Ride it and find out?

I don't understand the specifications - extruded & rocker, but stiff and long?
Perhaps that's why it's cheap - if you're able to ride it, you may well not want to.

I'm a picky person though. If you can't find out more you could always buy it and then give it away or sell it if you don't like it.

Oh: magnetraction: makes it harder to sharpen the edges, no other noticeable issues either way in soft snow with a decently stiff Lib Tech board in soft snow.
I'd rather not have it if I get the option.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
philwig wrote:
It's very cheap. Ride it and find out?

I don't understand the specifications - extruded & rocker, but stiff and long?
Perhaps that's why it's cheap - if you're able to ride it, you may well not want to.

I'm a picky person though. If you can't find out more you could always buy it and then give it away or sell it if you don't like it.

Yeah sorta what I'm thinking. I'd like to build back up to being able to ride moderately well after too long not riding much so it might suit for that purpose. I have a Ride Yukon of about 20 years vintage that's still alive but always found a little bit too wide. My board when I was riding a lot was a Prior MFR.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wouldn't quite trust that one I have to say, based on the information on that page and the price.

I know you didn't ask for other suggestions, but if you're looking for a stiff (7/10), wide board that will be amazing for powder and carving on piste then Snowboard Asylum are currently selling the Korua Tranny Finder 157cm (with a waist width of 27cm, ie. it's kind of a volume shifted fat board that you can ride at shorter lengths than you would normally) for only £210 which is an absolute steal for an incredible board. Obviously check that your weight would be appropriate for it, but since 157 is the largest size they make and it's sort of a volume shifted board, even those people who would normally ride boards in the 160s would be fine sizing down to a 157 and still being able to float in powder and tear it up on the piste - those are the two things you are guaranteed to get with Korua.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Yeah I'm not that into the idea of sizing down - for me volume shifting = nice marketing speak for we don't want the cost or inventory risk of offering a wide range of sizes. One of the things going for the board I posted was its one of the few 165+ boards available in the UK from a real brand i.e. not a Polish internet only brand
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah that's fair enough. Though whilst the TF is only available in two sizes, there are a lot of volume shifted boards out there that have many sizes (the Warpig for example has 6 sizes, the Orca and others have similar or more) so I don't think that's quite a fair characterisation of an entire "sub-genre" of boards. I would simply consider them a different style of riding experience with some advantages, and some disadvantages depending on what you're looking for.

If you're happy spending that 120 with the possibility that it's a bust then go for it, you're certainly not going to find a board in that category for that price elsewhere, and I guess £120 isn't really a huge amount of money even if it's not great!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
karansaraf wrote:
Yeah that's fair enough. Though whilst the TF is only available in two sizes, there are a lot of volume shifted boards out there that have many sizes (the Warpig for example has 6 sizes, the Orca and others have similar or more) so I don't think that's quite a fair characterisation of an entire "sub-genre" of boards. I would simply consider them a different style of riding experience with some advantages, and some disadvantages depending on what you're looking for.

I suspect you're probably right on that too - not a write off for everyone but more so for me.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a XV and love it. So much that I’ve already pre ordered a new one for next season - first snowboard in 25 years I will have paid full price for

That one looks interestingly cheap. Gotta be worth a go.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
FYI Magnatraction isn't that difficult to sharpen, you just need a more shorter edge file tool. You can see what they look like if you just search for magnetraction edge tool, they're shorter so you don't "miss" portions of the edge when the bits of the edge that protrude are flush against the file.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hang11 wrote:
I have a XV and love it. So much that I’ve already pre ordered a new one for next season - first snowboard in 25 years I will have paid full price for

That one looks interestingly cheap. Gotta be worth a go.

Agree

I'd take a punt if they was normal width
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These things are great for tuning mag edges

http://www.fktools-us.com/Product-Details.asp?Part-Number=3000
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Dave of the Marmottes, I've a 165 wide Santa Cruz "Gold Series" for sale. Not seen much use.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The current Rossi XV shares nothing specifications-wise with the EXP board other than the brand.
The XV's a directional tapered board with a setback stance, the EXP is a pseudo-twin with a completely different plan shape.
The XV looks interesting, but tells you nowt about the other board.

karansaraf wrote:
...I know you didn't ask for other suggestions, but ...Korua Tranny Finder 157cm ...
That also is a completely different board design. The Korua looks like a more modern design and is significantly more directional than the EXP.
Less setback than the XV, taper is similar on both, can't tell where the flex is on paper.

The interweb suggests that there have been some stiffness changes in that Koura board over time,
so you would want to be very careful precisely which season's board you bought.
ski holidays
@philwig, Yeah i'm not expecting much of the XV halo if I bought this EXP board but its really hard to pin down reviews on the web - the spec is confusing - a 8/10 stiff flex but with idiot bumpers tip n tail and extruded base like you said. Some reviews seem to suggest it was in previous seasons a higher spec board. Maybe they had the moulds and design and tried to squeeze out a cheaper pricepoint board without much additional investment to see if it would give them some low effort throughput.

Like you said not much risk at the price other than a frustrating day or two if it turns out to be seriously crap and flexy. I'm sort of attracted to the tradish camber and the magnetraction as I know if I have edge hold issues it'll be the workman not the tool.
ski holidays
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, I've a 165 wide Santa Cruz "Gold Series" for sale. Not seen much use.

Could be interesting - PM me with details if not too much bother
snow report
https://www.levelninesports.com/rossignol-exp-magtek-snowboard

Another site with more contradicting specs. Imv it'll make a nice garden bench.
snow conditions
I have a Rossi Jibsaw with a stiffness rating of 7 which seems to be the average of 9 between the bindings and 5 outside. Result is that I can't engage the cambered middle of the sidecut at all, so the magnetraction is pointless and it is by far the worst of my 6 boards on ice. Love it on soft snow but wish I'd bought the One instead.
ski holidays
Its a rental board so its flex will be entry level... low speed ....soft longitudinally and torsionally probably like chewing gum.
No one does spec on rentals that will be why the details will be up in the air and/or BS

I have never known anyone to ask should I buy a 168cm rental because it sounds cheap at over a £100 ?
Picked a used rental up years ago for £30 from a uk store .

You could look at a more rounded freeride board from decathlon for £199 the wedze bullwhip700 is setback 35mm tapered 8mm,rocker nose and torsionally firm in 166cm ....they could drop in price .
It could be a handful at slow speeds if your too light though so the 160 may be better although its narrower in the waist
https://thegoodride.com/snowboard-reviews/decathlon-bullwhip-700-dreamscape-2020-snowboard-review/#other-product-details
https://www.decathlon.co.uk/bullwhip-700-dreamscape-id_8397797.html

£100 plus can get a good used branded board but its not as easy as buying new online unless your in the know

I have a Burton 63/64 wide here in uk FS probably a few others I cant think of off hand .
Also a few Priors in resort including a good MFR but they could be a long wait .

You cant go far wrong with a good old burton depends what you want to do with it though .

Generally if you dont know if you want a jib, park ,AM, freeride ,powder or big mountain board it may pay to just buy a good used burton until you know more down the road .
Then sell it losing nothing .

Having a £400-600 plus new board shopping experience doesnt mean its the right design, lenght or flex you want or need for 80% of your ride time and terrain or snow conds you get .
Thats why a good ole burton (used) would shortlist and fastrack the whole unknown decision process as they are made for the masses and available.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy