Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Esprit (or other famly firm) with a Non-Skiing Mum

Poster: A snowHead
Hi guys,

Next easter (2014) we are looking for a family ski holiday but wife has decided to give it a miss as she hasn't really got on with it due to v. painful feet, finding lessons difficult etc.

We will be me (skied approx 8 weeks), 9 year old daughter (will be her 4th week), 7 year old son (3rd week), 1 year old in creche or similar and as mentioned non-skiing wife. She's more than happy to go as she can see the kids really enjoy it and as a photographer she enjoys walking around / maybe a bit of snow-shoeing and taking piccies and spending time with the kids in the snow.

Due to a previously cancelled holiday with Esprit we have some money in credit with them so would look to use this, but not sure which of their resorts would be most suitable for a non skier. If anyone has any advice on where best to go in their portfolio with things to do as a non-skier, ease of meeting up at lunchtime etc Id welcome any tips.

Was thinking of either their flagship in Belle Plagne (perhaps not ideal resort I know but at least the accommodation is of a higher standard), or somewhere like Val D'Isere, Meribel etc.

Also would consider other options of resorts?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val D'Isere would have a lot more of interest to a non-skier than Belle Plagne, but maybe not as easy as some others to meet up with skiers, watch the kids etc. Looking at the Esprit list of resorts, how about Courchevel 1850? Easy there to be amongst the skiers, meet up the top, etc and with plenty of interesting "people watching" for a photographer. And wonderful skiing for the skiers in the family. Excellent tuition available too, if that was relevant. I think that would be my choice as a non-skier, of the resorts I know on that list. Easter next year is pretty late - I'd cross places like Meribel, far lower, off the list. Purely from the snow point of view Tignes would be a good choice, but not nice for a non skier, IMV.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We're considering Les Gets next year. From what I gather it's probably a more family friendly resort than the ones you're looking at and also a proper village so might be more appealing for your wife. They even have special pistes for the little ones and it's possible to get into the Portes Du Soleil on the lifts or by bus if you want to do some miles. I'm pretty sure Esprit and Total Ski are the same company so I expect you could also use your credit on a Total holiday.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Gets is a good option for non-skiers, and you can go up and sit in one of the cafés at the top of the gondola and watch the skiers. But I don't think I'd choose Let Gets at Easter 2014.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we have stayed in the hotel crystal 2000 twice before, and going back again in 15, yes just 15 days now. A quick search here abouts or elsewhere will tell you.

Location, fantastic and almost impossible to beat.
accomodation, a little tired but perfectly adequate
esprit service and childcare, not a single complaint from anyone in our family thus far.

The hotel has some upsides for the nonskier and some downsides.

The upsides, in my view at least.

The location, you could walk to the restaurant above the altiport or across to the Courcheneige to meet people for a drink or snack. Your wife could even take a walk on the slopes above the altiport and round abouts, but snowshoes might be needed.
The hotel has a pool, sauna, hot tub

The downsides, again in my view.

The location, being out of town its either a 20-30 minute walk into 1850 centre or a 5 minute ride on the free skibus whch stops outside the hotel.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
reded78,

Never been with them but friends who went to Saas Fee with Esprit really enjoyed it. Traditional chocolate box resort for the non skier. High altitude slopes for late season and meant to be very good intermediate skiing. In my experience the Swiss do better walking paths etc. than most.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
St anton very good for non- skiers and walking about

The reps told me that it is a very long walk in corcheval to the "town" so the (apparently very good chalet hotel) is a bit out on its own
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
sev112, If you walk down the road, it is a hike, but if you walk out of the hotel down to the to the pralong chair, or even better down some of the cos pilot run you cut a fair bit out and can be done in 20 minutes. Getting back is a bit longer because its errr uphill. But the free skibus stops right outside hotel and takes about 5-7 minutes each way.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
reded78, Don't waste a space on your missus, take me instead ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have stayed with Esprit at 1850. It has a swimming pool in the hotel which would be useful for someone who is not skiing. It is a bit of a pain in that it is a good hike from the resort centre but as people mention there is a ski bus.

Lots to do in Courchevel for non-skiers including the luge run down to 1550 as well as walking

One word of warning if you go there and are hiring skis - do not hire them from the in hotel shop they are poorly maintained.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
reded78, best place for non-skiing family is Chamonix, trips up the Aiguille du Midi, Montenvers tram, walking along the valley, shops, tea, coffee, books and papers- a proper town as busy in summer as it is in winter.

It is a bit of a pain with kids though and Esprit have just stopped going there- but Inghams do - in the Sapiniere 9but I wonder if the boiler is fixed).
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ed123, but Chamonix on 20 April could be a slushfest?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Many thanks for the replies guys - As for timings for holiday we can go on the 23rd ish of March next year as the kids are in Independent school so it's not too late.

pam w, have considered Val D'Isere but just think the esprit accommodation there is a bit more basic, but certainly on the list for consideration (and it's much cheaper).

ChrisP3, and pam w, have considered Les Gets but just worried that it may be a bit low for the end of March.

T Bar, done Saas Fee but I feel the skiing is a bit limited for me.

sev112, St Anton considered this but was told not ideal for the younger kids (nursery slopes not great???), but also Esprit don't do ski hosting there and as I'm skiing by myself that is important.

ansta1 and J9, might have to put Courchevel 1850 on the list, my only real concern was the treck into town if my misses wanted to do something during the day and or taking the little one out on her own.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78 wrote:
also Esprit don't do ski hosting there and as I'm skiing by myself that is important.

In view of this thread can you be sure that they'll be doing it anywhere in France either?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
maggi, I know, which for someone like me will be a real shame, as it's always good to ski with others especially when they are in a similar boat having to get back to pick kids up etc. I often try and combine a day guiding or development clinic around the ski hosting days rather than one or the other.
I for one hope companies can continue to offer hosting but don't suppose this is the time or place for that discussion - almost seems as contentious as helmets.
snow conditions
reded78 wrote:
Many thanks for the replies guys - As for timings for holiday we can go on the 23rd ish of March next year as the kids are in Independent school so it's not too late.

pam w, have considered Val D'Isere but just think the esprit accommodation there is a bit more basic, but certainly on the list for consideration (and it's much cheaper).

ChrisP3, and pam w, have considered Les Gets but just worried that it may be a bit low for the end of March.

T Bar, done Saas Fee but I feel the skiing is a bit limited for me.

sev112, St Anton considered this but was told not ideal for the younger kids (nursery slopes not great???), but also Esprit don't do ski hosting there and as I'm skiing by myself that is important.

ansta1 and J9, might have to put Courchevel 1850 on the list, my only real concern was the treck into town if my misses wanted to do something during the day and or taking the little one out on her own.

Honestly the trek into town isnt a major problem, its the relative costs of 1850 that people will moan about usually, but if you know where to et and drink it is not a big problem in my view.
latest report
Also in addition to the regular bus you can also get a ride up and down from Esprit's mini bus sometimes as well.
ski holidays
I was with Esprit in Meribel this year and heard that this year will be the last for Crystal 2000 as the owners are not renewing the lease. I wouldn't cross Meribel off completely as the hotel is at Rond Point which is at 1600 and it's so good for slopes access too. The food etc was really good as well. I think from the Hotel there were a lot of snow shoeing routes nearby as well. A bus ride down into the resort centre though (or a 5 minute ski).
ski holidays
But Courchevel 1850 would be a far more interesting place than Meribel for a non skier. No comparison, I reckon.
ski holidays
reded78, I have stayed with Esprit at Val D'Isere twice and one family I met were on their 3rd year in a row there. The accommodation there is fine. Most of the Esprit places are a little on the tired side but I figure I just sleep there so no problem! I love Val D'Isere but I think for a non- skier there is less to offer than in Courchevel.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sat 26-01-13 22:33; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Thanks again guys, all the comments are really appreciated. The Crystal 2000 in Courchevel is still on Esprits books for next year so looks like they've extended another year on the lease.

She sounded quite interested in the people watching in Courchevel
latest report
reded78, have you both considered getting properly fitted ski boots for her? If her feet are in agony she is going to really struggle in lessons just because of being In pain the whole time.
snow report
NickyJ, she's tried beginner lessons twice before but both times in rented boots, she was supposed to to try skiing for a 3rd time this half term with fitted boots but we've just had child number 3 (born last Thursday) so obviously skiing for this year is out.

I've offered again to buy boots for next season but I think the combination of previously painful feet and now number 3 to play with (although will spend sometime in creche), she's happy just to potter and take photo's.

The reason I want to book soon is so that we can definetely get a room or suite for the 5 of us as the eldest two will be 10 and 7 and she doesn't want them being in a separate room. It will also give me nearly 12 months to work on her trying lessons again.
snow report
There have been many holiday occasions where I`ve thought I don`t really like skiing, before I had my own boots in particular. A comfortable fit in a boot which is holding your foot properly proved absolutely key to my ability to ski enjoyably. I also detested group ski lessons, indeed all ski lessons until a relative who was an army ski instuctor took me out. He was incredibly patient, never pushed me beyond what I felt comfortable with and as a result my confidence soared.

I am still a fairweather skier, I go out when the snow is good and the sun is shining, with a novel (this last time my kindle) tucked in my inside jacket pocket. I ski then stop for a coffee, or something stronger if I fancy it, get out my book and sit relaxing surrounded by wonderful scenery. I rarely ski more than a half day, usually meet the family for lunch, and never buy a full weeks pass. I get the half day pass (or 3 hour pass or whatever that particular resort offers) so that I don`t feel I have to ski if I don`t choose to on a particular day. In many resorts there is actually a free lift or two.

The reason was saying all the above is to suggest that your wife might like to do the odd half day in the right circumstances. It is surprising how much more enjoyable skiing can be for some people if its just a small part of a holiday and there is no pressure to keep up with a group or hurtle down the steepest slope as soon as you can!

In response to your original question I enjoyed Corcheval as a part time skier, but it is an expensive resort to do almost anything in.
ski holidays
reded78, you may not agree but one option is for your wife to not go and for her to stay with the nipper and you take the older two.

Ski holidays are really expensive and options for non-skiing spouses are limited almost everywhere. Val D'Isere isn't that big at all and once you have wandered up and down the main street once then really that's it- and Val is one of the better resorts that isn't a town in it's own right (Briancon, Chamonix). As for good places for non-skiers that are also used by Esprit, well the list is very short- there aren't any really.

Obviously this all depends on: your wife's boredom threshold, how much you all want to go on holiday together- regardless of her not skiing, the amount of leave you and your wife have / how you juggle childcare during school holidays and money.

I have 3 kids and have taken the eldest and now the two eldest on 'dads and lads' trips quite a few times- when Mrs Ed has been very pregnant (she really loves skiing and we have been when she's been feeding them / 4 months after the birth of the first one / when she was 'just a bit pregnant' and puking a lot - which is when she discovered that walking up and down the main street in Val was actually quite tedious). I also take the older two for last minute Feb Half term skiing- just for leave issues.

I looked at your replies to the suggestions of others. If you have skied 8 weeks then I am surprised to see that you think Saas Fee is a bit limited, most people see it as offering some very challenging skiing and great snow. I also wondered if really there was pressure to not go at all ??

The point about Esprit is the excellent childcare (really it is just the dogs dangly bits as far as our kids are concerned). But there are compromises as with everything- for us it really works well- but without the Sapiniere in Chamonix (which is itself a hotch potch of compromises- but for us a really great place we'd loved Esprit to have kept going) we wouldn't all go to any of the current Esprit places if one of us wasn't skiing.
snow report
Thanks again for the replies

ed123, just to clarify I did enjoy Saas Fee, especially the very pretty village and atmosphere, and did enjoy the skiing just fancy seeing some new areas as much as anything. I'm actually doing a dad and daughter trip this coming Easter with my eldest as suggested, but my wife is looking forward to coming again next year as she knows the kids enjoy it and enjoys being in the mountains.

As for holidays and leave are concerned we are lucky to be in the position where my wife is a part-time photographer / stay at home mum so fitting in trips is based on my leave from work and extended holidays for the kids. She deffo wants to come to share the experience just a case of what to do whilst there

CaravanSkier, I'll let my wife have a read of your post and see what she thinks. I'd love for her to get over her "learning hump / sore feet" issues so that in the future we can spend time together on the hill.
ski holidays
I'm interested in where you end up going. I'm in much the same boat, my Wife doesn't ski, tried it and didn't like it, but I'm keen to take my 2 children next year. There's no way she will stay at home while the rest of us go away so thought of somewhere big and interesting enough to keep her busy would be ideal.
snow report
On the rooms front Crystal 2000 (Courcheval) would be good as the have interconnecting rooms so you have two rooms within one with the added advantage of 2 toilets and bathrooms between them.

Also though not Esprit but Mark Warner also have Childcare available and I have actually booked with them in Les Deux Alpes for next year, our first time there and with them, but they have got good reputation on here and their brochure describes its suitability for non Skiers as "Good". The Easter week is especially good value in my book (flying out on 13 April). They also have interconnecting rooms and they aren't surcharging on them which is a bonus.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sun 27-01-13 14:05; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
reded78, I'd suggest using any credit you have with Esprit on a dad and daufghter trip then having a family holiday in Chamonix as late as possible in the Easter holidays- unless it is too late. Chamonix has fantastic oppertunities for photography as well as proper things to do. Childcare won't be such an issue as your wife can sort out the nipper. If you drive or have a hire car then meeting up for lunch is not impossible.
snow conditions
Nunfa1, if your OH, like the OP's wife, enjoys being in the mountains, walking, snowshoeing etc there's no reason why a holiday shouldn't be good for everybody. In the small French resort where I stay most of the season, I get the impression there are plenty of visitors who don't ski at all. Also some who do cross-country skiing, not that that's an easy option.

The standard Brit idea of a ski holiday is 6 days skiing, first lift till last, begrudge every minute that isn't on the slopes. But there are lots of other ways to do it, especially with kids - they love the other stuff, tobogganning, building snowmen (only possible with poor quality snow, obviously), etc.

There's often a trade off between being somewhere where you can do that sort of stuff with kids within yards of your accommodation or being somewhere with more sophisticated shops and other "entertainment" which might be a bigger town, a bit of a hike to good snow to play in. Provided your wife will enjoy being in the mountains, and maybe to spend a few hours reading, or put some goggles on and go for a walk in the snow, she should have a good time. Especially if you aren't determined to do the "first lift till last" bit. wink
ski holidays
Nunfa1, come along - we can ski together and the wives can talk / walk / knit / look at pictures of puppies together (tongue firmly in cheek ladies).

NickyJ, thanks for the info on Crystal 2000 and Mark Warner, I've been scouring the their website also and they have some pretty good deals for the week we are looking at and coming up about the same price as Esprit.

pam w, that does sound pretty much how I like my ski holidays and usually only try and take 1/2 afternoons away from the slopes especially now as the eldest likes to ski in the afternoon.

ed123, will look at others but really want to use the credit and don't think I'll get away with 2 family ski trips next year.
snow report
In general French resorts are custom built, rather than expanded traditional villages as is general in other countries (Chamonix is one of the exceptions).
Perhaps you should consider Austrian resorts such as Kitzbuhel (from which you can make day excursions to places like Saltzurg) or Switzerland. I know the exchange rate makes Switzerland expensive but I would have thought Wengen (or Grindlewald) would make a really good choice for non skiers. The cog railway which goes up the mountain and connect the resorts is great for non skiers (and you can take it on up through the Eiger (looking out of a window high up the North face) and on up to the glacier above) Or you can make an excursion on it to Murren or, joining the main railway to Interlaken and on to various tourist destinations. At Wengen you are already high above the valley in a traffic free village and able to join people for lunch not only via the cog railway but also up the Manlichen cable car.
ski holidays
Quote:

In general French resorts are custom built, rather than expanded traditional villages as is general in other countries (Chamonix is one of the exceptions).

I'm not sure this is true. There are a more "expanded traditional villages" in France than there are high, purpose-built, resorts. Also, and just in this immediate vicinity, one could add Megeve and St Gervais as decent sized towns - places like Briancon further afield. Expanded traditional villages within a very short distance include Hauteluce, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, Praz sur Arly, Areches-Beaufort. Les Saisies is largely custom built but has nothing in common with the likes of Val Thorens or Tignes.

It depends what you are looking for. When my non-skiing Mum came on two v successful holidays with us (one Austria, one France) she would have hated being stuck in the middle of Kitzbuhel or Chamonix. In Austria the highlight of her day was a very short walk to the "front de neige" where she could sit with a coffee and cake and watch her grand-daughter and classmates in ski school. The resort was very carefully chosen to allow this. She would not have wanted to go on a bus on her own and even with ski clothes on she got a bit cold, just wanted to pop out of the apartment and get back within an hour. she enjoyed helping with the catering (she did lunch, as we were in ski school, and I did the evening meal) and she enjoyed the tiny spa-heated swimming pool in the grounds. She loved sitting by the superb ceramic stove thing with a book, looking out of the window at the snow covered slopes. She loathed shopping at the best of times and no way would she have wanted to do "shopping" on holiday.

But for some people, shopping is of the essence and somewhere like Kitzbuhel or Briancon would have more to offer. Non-skiers have nothing in common except lack of skiing. wink
ski holidays
reded78, I may try and get the OH to give it one more go. Maybe a long weekend with some private lessons for her and the kids.
I'm still interested as to where you end up going though.
ski holidays
Nunfa1, I'll keep you posted after discussion with Mrs Reded tonight. I'm currently on paternity leave so have been doing some browsing during the day.

snowball, for now want to go with Esprit especially for the creche to loo after the new arrival but will keep your suggestions to mind for the future.

pam w, thanks again for all your comments and tips.

Think we might just bite the bullet and go for Courcheval and see how things go.
ski holidays
Its decided - courcheval to be booked in the am.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy