Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Soll tomorrow - first time - excited! Any tips?

Poster: A snowHead
This is my first ski holiday and my wife and I are flying out early tomorrow morning. I have tried to print a piste map of Skiwelt but it's a bit small, assuming it's easy to navigate around once you're out there?

Anything anyone would like to share or advise after being there?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've never been there but I advise picking up a piste map from any of the main lifts.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers, looks like Skiwelt covers a huge area, including Kitzbuhel? I guess on Sunday it'll be rammed over there with the world cup
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
glasgowdan wrote:
Cheers, looks like Skiwelt covers a huge area, including Kitzbuhel?

IIRC, not on the Ski Welt pass. Bus links from the Ki-West Gondola, other side of Westendorf (which is covered).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Would need the Kitzbüheler Alpen AllStarCard to ski the SkiWelt and Kitz on one pass.

Kitz will be rammed all weekend for the Hahnenkamm races. Think there is a free train (Streif zug?) to get there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I've just been recomending Soll on a different thread.
I think you will love it. Although most places are great on your first time from what I can gather.

Hopefully you are staying somewhere near a bus stop, as the main lift up is a bit out of the village. It may also be wise to take this lift back at the end of the day rather than skiing down as it get quite choppy and very crowded. I wouldn't bother thinking about Kitzbuhel as there's tonnes of skiing linked to Soll anyway.

Other than this it should be fantastic and the ski schools are great there. Really good fun + decent nightlife if you are into that.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
glasgowdan wrote:
Cheers, looks like Skiwelt covers a huge area, including Kitzbuhel? I guess on Sunday it'll be rammed over there with the world cup

The SkiWelt pass doesn't cover Kitzbuhel, but there is way more than enough to keep you happy for a week within the Skiwelt area.

If it is your first ski holiday, you won't be able to cover all that much even of the SkiWelt. You'll only be sking the blues to start with, and even if you are skiing the reds later in the week, you won't be skiing fast enough to get from one end to the other and back in a day.

Definitely pick up a proper piste map, although even with that it can be a little tricky to work out which end of a lift is the top if you are unfamiliar with the area.

Generally speaking in the SkiWelt, apart from the Westendorf area, piste numbers show which lift the piste is heading towards (often with a following letter to distinguish which of the various pistes heading for that lift it is).
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
glasgowdan, your first ski holiday is a real thrill - enjoy it. You'll be having lessons, presumably, and your instructor will know his/her way round very well indeed - you can always ask them for advice as to which runs to try. Piste maps can be quite difficult to interpret as alex_heney says.

Quote:

It may also be wise to take this lift back at the end of the day rather than skiing down as it get quite choppy and very crowded.

I don't know Soll, but that sounds like v good advice from somebody who does.

You'll probably end up addicted, like most of us. snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Sounds great. We're staying at the thomson place, pension edinger, which is close to the main lift (walking distance) so no need to rely on the bus. Are there lockers near the main lifts where we could leave the skis/boots etc?

Can't wait! Will try all the food on the menu too Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
glasgowdan, Soll is a bit tricky in navigational terms as there's a great big lump of a mountain above the village - The Hohe Salve (sp) - which isn't at all well represented on the piste map as various runs and routes go round it in odd ways and it's mighty difficult to see from the map which way half the runs go - if you see what I mean.

Hopefully you'll be in ski school some/all of the time so as others have said your instructor will also be your guide to the slopes

I'm just back from the area and the snow is great - enjoy - it's a brilliant and beautiful area and the weather looks decent for next week
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We're not doing the ski school thing at all... intend to work our way around and take our time/go at our own pace. Would ski school be much more expensive than just buying our own passes and hire equipment? Where would we go to find out about it?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
glasgowdan, That does sound exciting!

Have you skied in the uk, indoors or out? It's a very strange feeling being on skis for the first time...

Your Thomson Rep will be able to advise but I would suggest some initial lessons on the nursery slopes in town to get the hang of things at least (no lift pass required) and then head up the mountain later on...

You'll need to hire skis & boots - again the rep can advise, £50 or so for the week
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi Red, yes I can ski reasonably well (pick my way down reds, though not top speed!). My wife is a relative beginner but has spent 3 days skiing on snow in scotland and can handle most blues comfortably.

I'm looking forward to the snow and the food as much as the actual skiing.

Thanks for all the help so far.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have a look in at the the Salvenstadl ( probably spelt wrong) by the cross roads near you. Great watering hole, good live music from 4pm normally. Keep an eye out for a 2 piece band called 'Frog on the Tyne' well worth a watch. Some say they are sponsored by Jagermeister. If you see them play you will see what I mean. Enjoy youreselves, we were at Soll the last 3 years.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Yes there are lockers up at the lift (I think about 6E per week?).
I would recommend going for these, unless you really are staying up by the lift.
It will make your walk home in the evening enjoyable, where you can explore the village a bit, rather than a slog.

I would always recommend ski school as it's good socially as well as helping to orientate yourself, but unless you are a beginner it adds a bit to the cost.
Your Rep can talk you through the options on the coach.

Have fun.
ski holidays
glasgowdan, Gotcha - I thought at first you meant you were complete beginners! The blue down to Ellmau is a real cracker if you can find your over that way

In the village I love this place to eat;

http://www.dorfstubn-soell.at/

You'll need to book
latest report
Salvenstadl and red horse are good for apre. I cant remember the name of the Italian restaurant, but the pizzas and calzone are amazing. Ask your rep or any ex pat and they will tell you. Be aware though, they take cash only! No cards!

2 ski things that are a must. Go over to westendorf for a day or 2 as the runs there are longer. Also work your way along to Going and back in a day. My other half boards so she struggled a bit with cat tracks but other than that we love the place.

Maybe avoid the home run at the end of the day. As already said, it gets very busy and churned up around 3 pm.
latest report
Soll is lovely, you'll have a great time, make sure you do the toboggan run there.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy