Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

best resort 27th Feb - 3rd march???

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Guys,

We are driving somewhere for these dates, early fav was Cham. Having read some other threads though it seems we may hit the busy Paris holidays, even though we'd miss the half term rush. Is this correct?

Any advice anyone? Austria/Switzerland better alternatives??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
French half term runs mid Feb - mid March. Will be busy - how busy is difficult to say. What might be more problematical is finding accommodation, in that busy period, for your dates. I entirely understand why you don't want to drive on a Saturday, but the reason the roads are so manic round here on Saturdays is because it's the standard changeover day.

Those dates might also cause some problems in austria etc, though hoteliers will be more willing to be flexible if they have no bookings much nearer the time.

What sort of accommodation were you aiming at?

I don't know about holiday dates for Austria - need to look at German and Belgian holiday dates too, as well as local ones.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Accom seems OK to be honest, at least at Chamonix. Looking at the mid end of the market, so roughly £100+ per night per person.

Just trying to avoid daft queues - driving will save us roughly £350 each (4 of us), so happy to get decent rooms.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
You could drive through the Mont Blanc tunnel to Courmayeur and base yourselves there. Spend a few days skiing Courmayeur, book a day doing the Vallee Blanche to Chamonix (you can get a lift up from the Italian side), and maybe spend a day in La Thuile.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

Accom seems OK to be honest, at least at Chamonix

have you booked? If, so I'd stick with that, but snowymum's, suggestion looks interesting too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Link to half term holiday dates for each French zone below. I've done the stay in Courmayeur and drive around option suggested by snowymum. Courmayeur a more attractive town IMO. Weather tends to be sunnier on Italian side of Mont Blanc and mountain food far superior. Ski area more limited though and less challenging than Chamonix valley. Depends what you're looking for and what differing needs of your party might be. Car definitely an advantage in Chamonix to make access to different unlinked areas easier. Personally wouldn't want to do Mont Blanc tunnel trip more than a couple of times in a week but depends whether you like driving long tunnels.
http://www.halftermdates.co.uk/school-holidays-france.htm
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

Personally wouldn't want to do Mont Blanc tunnel trip more than a couple of times in a week

nor me - and apart from anything else, would cost a bomb
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
fordy11, all the main German and Austrian holidays will have finished by then and it is a relatively quiet period in most of Switzerland, the German Alps and Austria. I believe the Dutch have a fairly late half term week but as those dates are barely 3 weeks before Easter, even their mid semester break will probably be over as well.

If you are intending to drive out why not head for St Anton to try some of the skiing there? Not the cheapest place in Austria but it can certainly hold its own against Chamonix any day and possibly has better off piste if that is your bag. Certainly way better linking of the various resorts on the Arlberg pass than those on the Mont Blanc one.

The distance differences are marginal and the amount you have to pay in road tolls to drive to St Anton amounts to an astronomical 8.30 Euro (plus the Arlberg tunnel toll if you choose/have to use it!) Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy